SASS Wire Forum

'73 1-piece firing pin system

Tail N Kid in OK was probably not first person to think of the 1-piece firing pin system, but first I know who stayed with idea until a satisfied completion .  He showed me the idea many years ago but I just did not see it so appealing AT THE TIME.   TNK was persistent with idea and  talking to fellow Oklahoman, Snake Oil George, who put his Master Machinist abilities to work eventually producing the desired finished part option.  So, although nothing extremely new in our ventures into options on our toys, specifically to this post, the '73 or 66, the 1-piece FPS has been around for several years.  I have them in several 73s and do like them, but I was wondering how others feel who have tried or might be considering the addition.  I like the concept and in addition find the need of dummy round in dry firing not particularly needed.  Some might suggest one negative to be that the steel of pin is harder than hammer so over long periods of use one usually develops small indentation in hammer where pin hits hammer if round is in chamber.  Although, other than the cosmetics of indentation, damage does not seem to affect firing.   A hardened insert can  be installed in hammer to cut down on this issue IF it bothers you.  Two of my match 73s do not have hammer inserts, but insert is on my most recent upgrade in SS of an older 73.  Incidentally,  Lefty Wheeler preformed his expertise in the upgrade with my choice of  C&I 5th gen and SOG's hammer insert modification along with his 1-piece FPS.   

What's your thoughts?  Is it worth money spent?  Personally, I think if such an option gives a competitive shooter a tad of "piece of mind" in their shooting then it is worth it.

The funny thing about the 1-piece firing pin being a somewhat novel idea in Uberti's is that the original Winchester '73's have a 1-piece firing pin. :D

I have Snake Oil George one piece pin in 3 73s.  Greatly improved cartridge alignment on the 32-20.  I was having chambering issues.  For the other two, mostly eliminated the light primer hit problems.  

I also have the 1 pc firing pin as well as the insert by Snake Oil George and it made a huge difference with my 73. It was suffering from a somewhat sloppy bolt and would give a small hitch while levering but the mods cleared it up and the rifle functions perfectly. Well worth the investment imho.

5 hours ago, Texas Red said:

BB,

I have the SOG version with the hammer insert and LOVE IT.....Seems more Positive hits ob primers...

Regards

TR

2 hours ago, Palmetto Traveler said:

I also have the 1 pc firing pin as well as the insert by Snake Oil George and it made a huge difference with my 73. It was suffering from a somewhat sloppy bolt and would give a small hitch while levering but the mods cleared it up and the rifle functions perfectly. Well worth the investment imho.

I’m curious, what is the hammer insert and what does it look like installed?

12 hours ago, Caboose said:

I’m curious, what is the hammer insert and what does it look like installed?

insert2.jpg

insert1.jpg

In reference to pics in above post: I had insert installed by SOG on a hammer that Lefty had already jeweled, but because of the hardness of the insert it would be difficult to jewel insert portion properly anyway.

As bolt goes forward in stroke and hammer falls, contact on firing pin that is protruding (assuming round in chamber) will be on the insert.  

Archived