SASS Wire Forum

Connecticut: Ammo Tax Introduced in House

Charlie T Waite

The 2020 Legislative Session in Connecticut has just started, and anti-gun legislators are quickly introducing bills to restrict your Second Amendment rights. House Bill 5040, sponsored by Rep. Jillian Gilchrest (D-18), will financially burden law-abiding citizens and their right to self-defense by imposing a 35 percent tax on ammunition sales. This is in addition to the current state and federal sales taxes.

The bill has been assigned to the House Committee on Finance, Revenue, and Bonding. Please call and email Representative Gilchrest at 860-240-8585 and Jillian.Gilchrest@cga.ct.gov to urge her to withdraw House Bill 5040.

House Bill 5040 adds a 35 percent excise tax on the purchase of any ammunition in the state of Connecticut. Gun owners in Connecticut already pay a high price to lawfully own and safely use their firearms. This additional tax will only further price out law-abiding citizens' ability to train, participate in competitions, and hunt.

It is clear that Representative Gilchrest wants to punish law-abiding people who enjoy the shooting sports. Please contact Representative Gilchrest and urge her to withdraw House Bill 5040. 

So,

It was originally stated that it is a 35% tax on ammunition.  My wife was looking at Fakebook and she said it is a $.35 PER ROUND tax!  I just looked at the bill itself and this is what it reads:

"That the general statutes be amended to establish an excise tax on gross earnings derived from the first sale of ammunition within this state at the rate of thirty-five per cent per round."

So, if it is $.35 per round, a 10 round box would cost an additional $3.50, a 100 round box would cost an additional $35, and 1000 rounds would cost an additional $350!!  This is the left pushing their anti gun and anti self defense rhetoric on us so they can "decrease crime" and fund more anti gun campaigns.  I'm wondering if the left thinks this will actually decrease crime, or if they don't care and since there isn't a ban on guns, they will just make it more difficult for us law abiding gun owners to get ammunition at REASONABLE prices.

Off my soap box- for now.

Red Wolf

11 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

So,

It was originally stated that it is a 35% tax on ammunition.  My wife was looking at Fakebook and she said it is a $.35 PER ROUND tax!  I just looked at the bill itself and this is what it reads:

"That the general statutes be amended to establish an excise tax on gross earnings derived from the first sale of ammunition within this state at the rate of thirty-five per cent per round."

So, if it is $.35 per round, a 10 round box would cost an additional $3.50, a 100 round box would cost an additional $35, and 1000 rounds would cost an additional $350!!  This is the left pushing their anti gun and anti self defense rhetoric on us so they can "decrease crime" and fund more anti gun campaigns.  I'm wondering if the left thinks this will actually decrease crime, or if they don't care and since there isn't a ban on guns, they will just make it more difficult for us law abiding gun owners to get ammunition at REASONABLE prices.

Off my soap box- for now.

Red Wolf

At 35% per round, the rounds would have to cost $1 each to have a .35 cent tax.

Archived