SASS Wire Forum

It works! (Primer and split case checker)

Snakebite

Saw the ST Machining Loading Block in the January Cowboy Chronicle. Yes, I do know, in fact, that new brass is cheap compared to what a rifle jamb can cost at a big match. Well, I use new brass at any match that is important, but I have 1.325 zillion 38 cases that have been fired so many times that I dare not even try to guess. They have been loaded with every type powder available, and cleaned to shin like new in my handy dandy wet tumbler. The Brass that was used with Citrus based BP Subs, are the worse for splitting, and I've had my share of them split on me. But when my wife gets one.... I'm really in the dog house. Using this little device has so far spotted every case that has been split or had a high primer. I got two of them, and we now run every round through before it goes into the Match ammo box. I just love new gimmicks, and when they work it is even better!

Snakebite

Nice to hear and nice reminder (I had forgotten that I wanted to try one of these).  The site says it fits in your pouch after using like a loading block which it doesn’t sound like you do, just wondering what pouches people use and where they get them to pair with these...

IMO another gizmo putting reloads in and taking them out.  Split cases are easily determined at the priming stage. High primers?  Use the Lee Auto Primer and any case with a high primer cannot be removed from the tool .... Done

I picked one up at a swap meet at a State shoot.   Precision is the word.  Shells that slide thru my EGW shell checker Fit tight in the ST machine loading block. Almost wish it was a little looser.      GW

I ordered one a few days ago, but the truth is, I really don’t expect ito find any flawed cartridges.  

Cat Brules

22 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

I ordered one a few days ago, but the truth is, I really don’t expect ito find any flawed cartridges.  

Cat Brules

I use to say the same thing Cat now we check every thing and my hearing is bad so the wife uses the funnel up to her ear with a bullet to make sure there's powder in every loaded one, stands every loaded one on the table for high primers., gauges every one also.  Believe me she is a QA/QC individual. We did get some bad primers from federal a while back and switched over to Federal match stuff. So far so good. Shooting only Starline brass now also. Have lots of Winchester brass on hold. I have a Dillon 650 with powder alarm & also have modified that by adding a small mini light to it & now it sounds & lights up when no powder in case.  Well end of story for now. See you all on the range some where in time.

JRJ

Archived