SASS Wire Forum

Powder (smokeless and BP)

razorseal

so I'm reading the rules and it talks about classic cowboy requiring .40 and higher... 

How often do people shoot in this category?

You guys are probably saying "man this guy can't make up his mind" but now I'm researching the Ruger Blackhawk. I really like that gun. It's built like a tank, can take on hot handloads (so it serves purpose outside of CAS shooting) and has a modern twist to it with the modernized sights. I also understand I can't shoot in some categories with it (classic cowboy I think?)

Reading about these wild loads people make for the 45 colt for it. 265 grain bullet traveling at 1500 fps out of one. WOW! It's made by Buffalo Bore and is called a deer grenade LOL

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Classic Cowboy has a strong following in CAS.   Attend some local matches and find out how many shoot in that category locally.

I have a pair of Blackhawks I shoot when I'm shooting smokeless powder.  The adjustable sights make sighting in the handguns easy.  There are Blackhawks sold with 45 (Long) Colt cylinders and 45 ACP cylinders.  The 45 ACP cylinders would be handy for CAS as brass is cheap and plentiful and the case has a small volume compared to a 45 Colt case.

53 minutes ago, razorseal said:

I have have such an itch to buy something! Lol

I'll try to hold off til this weekend and go to one of the shoots in the next county over. Hopefully they'll let me shoot a round with their pistol and shotgun. I'll bring my rifle lol

You will almost certainly be offered firearms to shoot.  Offer to pay for the ammo but expect your offer to be declined.  Start shopping for a cowboy hat.  Your hat is part of your costume and helps establish your alias.  Also shop for Winchester AA low noise, low recoil shotgun shells.  If you find some buy enough to get you through April.  In May the annual AA rebate usually starts and that is the time to stock up for a year.  Also, shop for reloading supplies.  Find a local retailer who sells pistol powder and Federal primers at reasonable prices.

8 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

You will almost certainly be offered firearms to shoot.  Offer to pay for the ammo but expect your offer to be declined.  Start shopping for a cowboy hat.  Your hat is part of your costume and helps establish your alias.  Also shop for Winchester AA low noise, low recoil shotgun shells.  If you find some buy enough to get you through April.  In May the annual AA rebate usually starts and that is the time to stock up for a year.  Also, shop for reloading supplies.  Find a local retailer who sells pistol powder and Federal primers at reasonable prices.

Got all reloading stuff already minus dies. 

I already have a very nice Stetson buffalo felt hat that I'll wear... I'll bring my 40-40 ammo and hopefully will get to shoot. 

26 minutes ago, razorseal said:

Got all reloading stuff already minus dies. 

I already have a very nice Stetson buffalo felt hat that I'll wear... I'll bring my 40-40 ammo and hopefully will get to shoot. 

Maybe I’ve missed something. Are you planning to bring your reloads to use in someone else’s gun? Or do mean factory loads?

11 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Maybe I’ve missed something. Are you planning to bring your reloads to use in someone else’s gun? Or do mean factory loads?

I have 3 boxes of factory loads. Saving up the brass as I shoot it which I will reload ☺ and that's for my '73 winchester, but if someone let's me use their pistol I'll use it,or they can lend me 10 rounds lol

Archived