SASS Wire Forum

Rolling Block 1902 Model 7mm

Scotty Two Shotty

Hi all!

I'm looking at a good deal on a 7mm Mauser Rolling Block, and am just starting to look into the possibility of converting it into a 7mm Rimmed Mauser. So, my first question is... is the 7mm Rimmed Mauser, which began production in 1892, legal for SASS long-range side matches? The handbook only states "... rifles must use traditional, period, rimmed cartridges." and gives a couple examples of what can be used, so I'm just hoping to be pointed to any further clarifications and such, if possible...

Hand Book ... Single Shot and Buffalo Single Shot firearms must be originals or replicas of single shot rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899.

Remington 7mm models,   1901 and 1902, years of production ...  1897/02/10

Therefore Yes for Single Shot Side Match(Long Range) if a Model 1

Many Rolling Block rifles were used by Argentina before being replaced in 1891 by the new 7.65mm Mauser, and were also widely used by Egypt and Mexico.

Candidly though, doubt if any Match Director would know the difference between a Model 1 or Model 2

7mm Rimmed should be perfectly legal.  to convert you'll have to do some work to the extractor or possibly use a new one (from a rimmed cartridge).

The prohibition of rimless cartridges from LR rifle always irked me.  Rimless cartridges existed in the SASS mandated timeframe.  Examples include 7mm Mauser, 8mm Mauser, 6.5 Carcano, or 6.5 Swedish.  The Remington Rolling block was chambered in a wide variety of cartridges, including these military rounds.

While 7mm Rimmed would make it SASS legal, I think that the juice to turn it into such a rifle wouldn't be worth the squeeze.  I would keep shopping around for a SASS legal caliber.  I know Pedersoli makes/made rolling blocks in 30-40 Krag… I have one and its great!

Thanks, guys.

My buddies asking $400 for it, and that's hard to pass up for a working stiff. I believe it is a #5, which models were produced in 1897, 1902 (the one I'm looking at), and 1910. It looks like the Wild Bunch side matches kind of skip over these guns, straight into the bolt actions. I sent my TG a little dissertation to take to the meeting at WR, hoping for consideration in expanding the legal firearms of the long-range guns to include these pre-20th century cartridges. It's silly to not have these to increase participation in the whole of SASS, then turn around and allow 2005 model New Vaqueros chambered in .357 (1934), even though most use .38 specials (1898, a number of years after a number of rimless cartridges were introduced and put into service)...

Archived