SASS Wire Forum

Vending machines and Credit Cards

Sedalia Dave

Most of you have seen that most vending machines take credit cards as well as cash. When they first started doing this the price was the same cash or credit.  Noticed last week that the maching at the hospital charged an extra $1.00 to use a credit card. There was no sign stating this only that the price on the little display flashed $2.75 for a drink after I swiped my card instead of the $1.75 it was flashing before I swiped my card. :(

Thought that maybe it was just that vending machine but I have checked 3 others and they all do the same thing. :(

Wonder how many people never pay enough attention to notice the $1.00 surcharge for using a credit card.

The supposition is that people pay attention enough to know that they're being charged a convenience fee on a plastic transaction.

I'm going to guess that most people do not nor do they care about any plastic convenience fee anymore.

:o

32 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

The supposition is that people pay attention enough to know that they're being charged a convenience fee on a plastic transaction

Unless there's a stop button. I don't think it matters.

I go to the machine and the sign says it cost $1.75, and I swipe my card and it tells me I'm being charged $2.75, unless I can hit a VOID button real quick I've been charged. Whacha gonna do? Go complain to the nurse at the desk that the vending machine ripped you off? They don't care.

I just checked our vending machines that take credit cards.  Never used a card on them myself, they run from an app you need to download, they dont have a "swiper" on the machine.  There is no notice of what the credit fee is, but there is a sign stating that prices shown on the machine are the cash price (and are $0.10 less than retail, supposedly...).  Perhaps the additional fee is disclosed in the app? 

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Unless there's a stop button. I don't think it matters.

I go to the machine and the sign says it cost $1.75, and I swipe my card and it tells me I'm being charged $2.75, unless I can hit a VOID button real quick I've been charged. Whacha gonna do? Go complain to the nurse at the desk that the vending machine ripped you off? They don't care.

You haven't bought anything yet just swiped the card so you can select a purchase.  The card reader has a cancel feature on it. Just push cancel and it voids the transaction.

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Most of you have seen that most vending machines take credit cards as well as cash. When they first started doing this the price was the same cash or credit.  Noticed last week that the maching at the hospital charged an extra $1.00 to use a credit card. There was no sign stating this only that the price on the little display flashed $2.75 for a drink after I swiped my card instead of the $1.75 it was flashing before I swiped my card. :(

Thought that maybe it was just that vending machine but I have checked 3 others and they all do the same thing. :(

Wonder how many people never pay enough attention to notice the $1.00 surcharge for using a credit card.

Where I work, there are no cash vending machines.  You select your merchandise from the shelves and the fridges and walk over to a kiosk at the end where you scan the items, swipe your card and pay.  The merchandise is usually $.75 to a dollar higher than it would be at a convenience store.  I only go down there when I'm really desperate for something. 

P.S. There are also cameras EVERYWHERE in that area.  They have walked people out for not paying.

Where I work the machines have 24 oz bottles of water for $1..50.  If I use Apple Pay the indicator on the machine will say I was charged $2.50 but the actual charge from Apple Pay is $1.50. I have no idea why the machine adds a $1.00 on the readout. 

Did you check with your Bank or Credit Card company to see what the actual charge is?

15 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I've seen a lot of gas stations that charge extra for using the credit card at the pump.  

In Florida, if there is a difference in price between cash and credit then the vendor has to post the difference. At the majority of gas stations the difference is .10 per gallon unless you use their credit card. Independent stations like WaWa, Thorntons, ect it doesn't matter....price is the same. Before they started enforcing posting the price difference, they'd have $2.50 on the sign but on the pump it would say $2.60 if you weren't using their card. They hoped you wouldn't see it until you were done pumping.

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I've seen a lot of gas stations that charge extra for using the credit card at the pump.  

I have too but the difference in price was clearly stated without having to swipe your card.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Where I work the machines have 24 oz bottles of water for $1..50.  If I use Apple Pay the indicator on the machine will say I was charged $2.50 but the actual charge from Apple Pay is $1.50. I have no idea why the machine adds a $1.00 on the readout. 

Did you check with your Bank or Credit Card company to see what the actual charge is?

Interesting? I'll have to look at my statement.

4 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Interesting? I'll have to look at my statement.

I keep trying to catch the vendor so I can ask why this happens but they always show up when I am not there. 

I'm sure you're all aware that businesses and that would include vending machines because they're owned by a company, have to pay a 3-5% fee on each transaction. I don't blame them for making some extra money even though it's way more than 3-5%.  It's called capitalism, you have the right to NOT use their machines also.

I never use my card for vending machines. Our local car wash recently installed car readers. Don’t use them either. In a hotel the other day I was getting ice and decided to get a soft drink. Only had a twenty on me but checked my pocket for change. Had a couple of dollar coins and much to my surprise they worked.

14 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm sure you're all aware that businesses and that would include vending machines because they're owned by a company, have to pay a 3-5% fee on each transaction. I don't blame them for making some extra money even though it's way more than 3-5%.  It's called capitalism, you have the right to NOT use their machines also.

Agreed, Just thought charging an extra dollar was rather excessive.

Archived