SASS Wire Forum

Miroku Winchester Parts

Texas Shane

I've got an 1866 20" Winchester/Miroku rifle with a ring in the round barrel. The gun is currently 44-40. I already purchased a replacement 66, 44-40 because, apparently, there a no barrels available. (Replacement is a Cimarron) I've asked a few people but no one knows the answer, so I'm throwing this out there, Will a Uberti Rifle screw into the Miroku receiver. I want to make this a 38-40 gun now. If the threads are different, what about using a 24' barrel and machining the correct threads into it to wind up with a 20. I'm not worried about all the dovetails etc lining up, that can be fixed and I will modify or replace the parts to accept the new octagon vs existing round barrel. 

I've inquired about having it relined, it was a no-go because the front sight dovetail is too close to the bore.

You probably already know this

But, in case you do not know.....

The octagon barrel will make the gun considerably heavier!

That weight can make a lot of difference now and in a few years, especially on a long, hot day.  That difference will be the affect on handling, accuracy, and time.

Just something to consider.

Cat Brules

Well, Winchester has been less than helpful, out of all the "Authorized Repair Centers" I contacted only 2 responded, one contacted Winchester and was told I had to use Midwest gun works, when I contacted them, Midwest said they don't work on that type of fire arm. I suppose I could take mine apart and measure the threads. Winchester hasn't responded at all. Nothing like great support from Winchester. My replacement '66 is Obviously a Cimarron! 

19 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

You probably already know this

But, in case you do not know.....

The octagon barrel will make the gun considerably heavier!

That weight can make a lot of difference now and in a few years, especially on a long, hot day.  That difference will be the affect on handling, accuracy, and time.

Just something to consider.

Cat Brules

I weighed both the round barrel and octagon 66's yesterday and found a 4 ounce difference FWIW. 

Okay, you should do what suits you.

Ive handled rifles side-by-side, and the octagon barreled rifle feels considerably heavier than the round barreled rifle.

Thanks....now we know.

Cat Brules

2 hours ago, Texas Shane said:

Well, Winchester has been less than helpful, out of all the "Authorized Repair Centers" I contacted only 2 responded, one contacted Winchester and was told I had to use Midwest gun works, when I contacted them, Midwest said they don't work on that type of fire arm. I suppose I could take mine apart and measure the threads. Winchester hasn't responded at all. Nothing like great support from Winchester. My replacement '66 is Obviously a Cimarron! 

You can buy an aftermarket, or Uberti if available, octagon barrel in 38WCF and have it threaded to the spec of your rifle.  Be prepared to spend $300-$500 on just the barrel.  You can also buy a used barrel and have it rebored to the caliber of choice.  None of the options will be inexpensive but can put the rifle back into service.

26 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

This is a good choice if you only shoot smokeless as it is button rifled.  BP needs ballard style rifling to shoot well.

7 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Just have the original barrel relined and chambered to 38WCF. 

He said the barrel is too thin at the muzzle for the dovetail.

1 minute ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

He said the barrel is too thin at the muzzle for the dovetail.

504279655_Marlinrelinejobdone1September2018.jpg.52216feb1c3b616b609312ab44e2ff8e.jpg

TJ Enterprises makes a liner a little smaller in diameter.  Also, take out dovetail parts and recut dovetail to remove where reliner intruded into dovetail.  

3 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

504279655_Marlinrelinejobdone1September2018.jpg.52216feb1c3b616b609312ab44e2ff8e.jpg

TJ Enterprises makes a liner a little smaller in diameter.  Also, take out dovetail parts and recut dovetail to remove where reliner intruded into dovetail.  

I remember your post and that's an acceptable remedy for me.  The other option would be to turn the muzzle end down a bit and step drill the bore.

Those are great options, wonder why I was told my dovetail was too deep. I also see green mountain has 38-40 round barrels for under $100. Since my rifle is alredy a round, I'd rather go that way so I dont have to change too much, just thread, cut a few dovetails, chamber, blue and go.

Does anyone know what the thread pitch is on a miroku? is it metric or SAE?

T.J's Enterprise contact is a little hard to find.  They don't have web site.  Do everything by mail of phone. 

TJ's Enterprises
3652 Neltner Rd
Alexandria, KY 41001
(859) 635-5560

This should be Mike Sayers email address. tjsliners1992@gmail.com

Last I contacted him he had turn operation over to his son. 

The reason I posting this is because they offer a 38WCF barrel liner smaller in outside diameter.  

915299054_TJs38WCFlinerJuly2018.jpg.4abf64db9c2914741e730c607084159d.jpg1391985719_TJsbarrelliner38WCFaJuly2018.jpg.30e951e41d70424b2df6e9c83a9998a9.jpg

I had a ringed barrel Browning B92 (Miroku) that shot just fine with the ring...  I eventually re-barreled it, but it ran for a long time with the ring shooting cowboy loads.  Something to consider.  I've not had any barrels out of my current Mirokus, but I can tell you all of the screws are sized and threaded to the same pitch as Ubertis, which would lead me to believe there is a good chance the barrel is the same.

Thanks Fireball. I have considered just shooting it! Heck, I shot a whole match with the ring (I'm assuming the ring was excessive bore butter left from the last match a few months prior). I should tear the Miroku down and check the threads :mellow:. The ring is between the mag tube dovetail and the fore-end cap.

1866 Miroku.jpg

3 hours ago, Texas Shane said:

Thanks Fireball. I have considered just shooting it! Heck, I shot a whole match with the ring (I'm assuming the ring was excessive bore butter left from the last match a few months prior). I should tear the Miroku down and check the threads :mellow:. The ring is between the mag tube dovetail and the fore-end cap.

1866 Miroku.jpg

I can't see where the ring is, from the pic, but with a 20" barrel it's probably too far back to cut off and not become an SBR?  Unless it really bothers you or throws shots all over, I think I'd run it, sure doesn't look like much of a ring from the pic.  While a new barrel is only $100, unless you have the tools to turn the barrel shank, cut threads, cut the chamber, cut the extractor/tab grooves and sight/mag hanger dovetails, that will quickly rise in cost.  I'm not sure the new mag tube hangers are actually rotary dovetails like the originals/Ubertis.  Theres some evidence they are soldered in place.  You can of course source a mag tube hanger if need be, but at additional cost.  You'll also need to inlet your round forend to match the octagon.   Maybe just name that gun "Ringer" and run it!  Good luck!

I've considered shooting it, I've been told Absolutely no and why wouldn't you so I'm on the fence safety wise. The ring is noticeable if you know where it is, otherwise not so bad.

I thought about having it mag particle checked or eddy current for cracking, just not cost effective. I only shoot black powder, none of that funky smokeless stuff! As far as barrel, I'd go with a round one from GM to avoid having to configure for an octagon and I have a local guy who can fit the barrel, chamber and dovetails if the threads are SAE, if metric, I'll have to outsource that. The rifle was 1,000$, I already bought a replacement  in 44-40, so if I can come in around $500 for a replacement in 38-40, I'll be happy. Thanks to everyone who posted, all good advice.

Archived