SASS Wire Forum

Did San Pedro Saddlery ever start up again?

Mustang Gregg

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I know they moved from Tombstone many many moons ago.

And Ed told me that they were going to start a new leather outfit elsewhere.

But I lost all of his contact info when I changed out my computer.

Does anyone know if they're still around and doing leather projects?

Mustang

I vaguely Big Ed was going to produce just saddles after the sad series of family issues and no help making rigs.  But there is no website for him

Call Spangenberg Gun Shop in Tombstone... (520) 457-9229 They should know yes or no if he is still in business and where

He sure made great holsters

image.jpeg.4f7971a07e3ab9ce835c7b3518367592.jpeg

Big Ed has been dead for many years.

I was one of the customers that never received my order that I placed with Big Ed.

He moved his business to Illinois and I  tried to contact him there. He never returned my emails or calls.

Try an Internet search, amazing what can still be found about him.

1 hour ago, John Boy said:

I vaguely Big Ed was going to produce just saddles after the sad series of family issues and no help making rigs.  But there is no website for him

Call Spangenberg Gun Shop in Tombstone... (520) 457-9229 They should know yes or no if he is still in business and where

He sure made great holsters

image.jpeg.4f7971a07e3ab9ce835c7b3518367592.jpeg

I don’t believe Spangenberg is open either as a friend of mine who goes to Tombstone every May was trying to get me interested in going in with him and buying it.  If it is now I would be interested in knowing who is running it. 

Heck, I didn't realize that Big Ed was gone now.  RIP.

When I was there last, (maybe 2006??) his wife and son(?) were working on holsters.

And he told me that they were still going to do it as a family business even though they were going move to another location out of AZ.

in 2002, they built a beautiful rig with hair-on holsters of Holstein calf for my wife and a couple of gun belts for me.

I also had an order that was never delivered.  But I knew he had health issues.

Mustang Gregg

3 hours ago, Mustang Gregg said:

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I know they moved from Tombstone many many moons ago.

And Ed told me that they were going to start a new leather outfit elsewhere.

But I lost all of his contact info when I changed out my computer.

Does anyone know if they're still around and doing leather projects?

Mustang

Posted April 1, 2014 by Dakota Martin, SASS #21774

The last I heard of Big Ed Douglas was about 4-5 years ago. He was living in his son's garage and wheelchair bound. His hands were all crippled up and he had a bad case of stenosing tenosynovitis (trigger finger).

On 2/13/2020 at 4:02 PM, Mustang Gregg said:

Heck, I didn't realize that Big Ed was gone now.  RIP.

When I was there last, (maybe 2006??) his wife and son(?) were working on holsters.

And he told me that they were still going to do it as a family business even though they were going move to another location out of AZ.

in 2002, they built a beautiful rig with hair-on holsters of Holstein calf for my wife and a couple of gun belts for me.

I also had an order that was never delivered.  But I knew he had health issues.

Mustang Gregg

He did, he went from Tombstone to a shop in Old Tucson Studios. I got a pair of JW style holsters made for my son’s pair of Nebraska Colt .22s which he shot 2 matches and the went straight for my .44s and we never looked back!  Great leather nice guy and I am sorry some of you had issues with him but as been mentioned before there were health and business issues that prevented him from following thru on some of the deals. 

I wasn't being critical about the leather job that didn't get done.  Heck, I let that go.

I know how serious illness can completely change your life for the worse.

Mustang

Archived