SASS Wire Forum

chiappa 1892 action job help

Currituck Kid

Before anyone says just send to a gunsmith I 1 - don't have the extra money to do so 

And 2 - don't want to be out of my only rifle for 10 weeks or so. 

I have no issues with doing my own work I've worked on plenty of N-ssa guns before. 

With all that said, I have a chiappa 1892 from Taylor and Co in 38-40. Does anyone know of resources for doing diy action jobs to the gun? 

Get in touch with Nate Kiowa Jones.  He is the '92 wizard and can give you tips even if it isn't a Rossi.  He may have springs and things that will work for you as well.

Get NKJ cd. Should be applicable to smoothing it up. If you want to lighten the hammer spring, you can try a Ruger hammer pack from Wolf to see which one will reliably pop your primers.

Online has some good stuff.  A site called kitchen table gunsmith

https://www.ktgunsmith.com/92slick.htm

Has a nice checklist style sheet.  The marauder rifle site

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Rossi_92_cartridge_guide.htm

Has great instructions for cartridge guide shimming if you ever need to do that (jacking out live rounds with the fired cartridge when going fast— it fixed mine but the tolerances were wide).  Good old fashioned YouTube has a number of good videos on just the general rifle, I think a few of them talk about “polish here” etc, but nothing super stellar as I recall.  The DVD referenced in other posts I’ve heard good things about but no personal experience with.

The biggest difference for my R92 (no clue on the Chiapas so take this with a grain of salt) was changing out the extractor spring.  It totally feels like it’s grit or burrs on the locking lugs— but it isn’t; its the extractor spring- so short version is don’t wreck your rifle by removing material from those lugs. Couple of the cowboy smith sites have specialty springs for this for around 10 bucks I think, full disclosure I used like a 50 cent one I got off amazon— but don’t recall the spring number off the top of my head: though I think I’d like just a touch more “oomph” on the current spring as every now and then I’ll catch brass to the face (shout out to good shooting glasses!).  Hammer spring and trigger spring I haven’t messed with yet but both look to be pretty straight forward, I probably will lighten the hammer just a touch I just hesitate because the ignition is currently so rock solid.  The trigger on mine is fine so I don’t feel the need to mess with it more, but I don’t get too worked up about “suhweet  triggers” (though a lot of that is just a bias I have as I’ve seen waaaay too many people who can’t shoot well try to blame it on triggers that weren’t national match grade 1911 level lol)

hope some of this helps.

3 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Every Chiappa I have handled is very smooth out of the box, especially compared to the very clunky Rossi ones.    Sounds to me like there might be something very wrong with your gun.

Every Chiappa I have handled felt very smooth when cycled empty.  With ammo is where they get crunchy.

Check out Steve's Guns, Nate's website, the work described on his video is very doable for the hobbyist, and downright insightful as to the workings of the 1892 action.  Marauder's website is as complete a description to do the work yourself as you'll find...   I did very similar work on two of my 1892s long either of those resources was available, and sure wish they had been!  While mine are very smooth, it was quite a bit of teeth-knashing, not knowing if all the stoning and cutting of springs was going to work!  I'd taken the word of a fellow shooter, modified his plan a little, ok a LOT, (as filling the action with valve grinding compound and working away was probably a bit too aggressive!), and simply stoned all the moving parts to remove burrs and keep the parts fitting well, but smooth.  Now that there are aftermarket springs available for the ejector, that takes away a huge unknown in simply cutting length out of a very stiff coil spring to get a soft, smooth, well place ejection of spent cases.

I have the same rifle but a take down in 44-40. I watched a video of a disassembly so I knew what I was dealing with. I've had it apart 1 time in 2 years, It feeds hand-loaded 44-40  smooth as butter, will run faster that I am and I use it as my long range, pistol cal rifle in matches, I've hit 9 of 10 , miss was my fault.

All I've done is adjust the hammer screw and tensioner to get positive hammer strikes and loading gate screw to make certain ammo feeds the lifter every time. I've found no reason to smith it, just worked the action empty when i first got her to smooth it up.  

From a person that has four 92s that run flawlessly and has set up three others to do the same, buy the Rossi 92 - DIY Action Job KIT from Steve's Guns AKA Nate Kiowa Jones. It is worth every penny. If you have questions give NJK a call he is a vertable fountain of information on slicking up and troubleshooting the 92 action.

The DVD will show you the easy way to disassemble and reassemble your 92 as well as the modifications to make it run flawlessly.

BTW a rifle in 38-40 will not be sensitive to cartridge OAL like the 38/357 model are.

4 minutes ago, Currituck Kid said:

Thanks for all the input, I took my rifle apart today and polished some parts up and it's already running smoother. I'll look into other fixes after my match Saturday 

I wouldn't do anything more till you have at least 500 rnds fired through it.

Check all the screws often. 

Let us know how it goes. 

OLG 

Archived