SASS Wire Forum

Why does she not say anything?

Trigger Mike

I was browsing gunbroker and on the home page was a ww2 German 9mm  schmiezer for a mere $23,000.  Since valentine's day is coming I asked her if I could have 23k for it and she acted as if I had not spoken and proceeded to ask one of the children something unrelated.   I was sitting 5 feet from her.  Maybe she plans to surprise me. 

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

I was browsing gunbroker and on the home page was a ww2 German 9mm  schmiezer for a mere $23,000.  Since valentine's day is coming I asked her if I could have 23k for it and she acted as if I had not spoken and proceeded to ask one of the children something unrelated.   I was sitting 5 feet from her.  Maybe she plans to surprise me. 

...with a card. ;)

Over twenty years ago while on our 25th Wedding Anniversary trip to New York City, I was invited by a fellow (Steve) I had met on a bird hunting forum to come to the Holland & Holland store in NYC.  My friend worked in the gun room.  Steve was showing me Holland & Holland shotguns like I would show you my guns out of my gun safe.   He handed me a .410 Holland & Holland Royal Deluxe.   I looked it over and took it over to my wife who was sitting in the corner.  I said to her, "Doll, look at this gun.  It's absolutely exquisite!!"  She agreed and asked (it was our anniversary), "How much is it?"  I told her, "Only $67,000."  She smiled and said, "Well, whip out the plastic." :o

Maybe someday I'll own a genuine Holland & Holland Royal...maybe. :rolleyes:

image.png.94f53797ecbf60c71d54c0eafa6b32db.png

image.png.86a8780dbdcfbf0f1d84c6c7e42c4183.png

Maybe she's like my wife (The Bunkhouse Boss).

Anything under 50K doesn't need any special permission.

Of course, this also extends to her limitations also..... :o

..........Widder

2 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Maybe she's like my wife (The Bunkhouse Boss).

Anything under 50K doesn't need any special permission.

Of course, this also extends to her limitations also..... :o

..........Widder

Good point there. While my wife has no idea how many Colts I own or the value, I have absolutely no idea how many handbags or shoes she owns. Seems like a fair trade

2 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Over twenty years ago while on our 25th Wedding Anniversary trip to New York City, I was invited by a fellow (Steve) I had met on a bird hunting forum to come to the Holland & Holland store in NYC.  My friend worked in the gun room.  Steve was showing me Holland & Holland shotguns like I would show you my guns out of my gun safe.   He handed me a .410 Holland & Holland Royal Deluxe.   I looked it over and took it over to my wife who was sitting in the corner.  I said to her, "Doll, look at this gun.  It's absolutely exquisite!!"  She agreed and asked (it was our anniversary), "How much is it?"  I told her, "Only $67,000."  She smiled and said, "Well, whip out the plastic." :o

Maybe someday I'll own a genuine Holland & Holland Royal...maybe. :rolleyes:

image.png.94f53797ecbf60c71d54c0eafa6b32db.png

image.png.86a8780dbdcfbf0f1d84c6c7e42c4183.png

I spent a number of hours in that shop as well as the one in London.  Some of the shotguns in the cases on the right were in the $50,000-125,000+ range.  They had a Winchester '76 on consignment, whose previous owner had used it while living in India.  I  can't remember the caliber, but it was in pretty good shape.  Too bad the shop closed a few years ago.

4 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

My wife loudly said to me, "You haven't been listening to a word I've said!!" :angry:

I thought that was a strange way to start a conversation. :huh:

You should tell her so!

Doesn't she always say that she's wondering what you were thinking?

5 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Surprise you alright!  Tonight when she gets into bed she’ll put her cold feet on your WAHOO!!!

2 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Doesn't she always say that she's wondering what you were thinking?

No...not very often.   Best I can figure is that she thinks she has to do all the thinking. :mellow:

But I sometimes have to set my foot down and tell her, "I wish you would hurry up and make up my mind!" :huh:

I do like Birdgun's Holland and Holland story. With my dad, it was Purdy shotguns. As he got older and more prosperous, he moved from Winchester Mod. 12s to Beretta and Browning over-and-unders, but he extolled the Purdy's. When he and my ma visited London in their 60s, she told me he went to the Purdy shop in Mayfair and had the time of his life looking over the shotguns. 40K was about the lowest price....

Time came when he could have afforded one, but there was  no point, given his good guns. He just liked the idea that he could have bought one, but chose not to!

Archived