SASS Wire Forum

My new gun rig!

Colt Faro, SASS #54579

I just wanted to share a new rig I just built for myself. Matt Black and I came up with the esthetic design a few days ago. The base of this rig is the Matt Black World Champion Gun rig. 

This is not for sale. I’m just showing it is all. 

It started as an idea Dylan and I both had. My crazy mind went to work on it and wouldn’t shut down until I built it. I kinda laid it all on the line with this one. I’ve second guessed myself worried it wasn’t good enough as it was being built. It all came full circle this evening though. I came to the conclusion that it doesn’t matter if anyone else likes it. What matters is that I like it and that it is a part of me. Starting with a blank canvas can sometimes be in itself a challenge and sometimes it all falls together. This in my mind is the best I’ve done to date however I will continue to challenge and push myself in the future. 

My good friends this new holster is called
“The High Country” 

It starts as the Matt Black World Champion design with 14 oz overall leather weight. It is lined in the back with 22 gauge steel making it adjustable to your body and style. It has a 3/4 skirt, cut away at the back for unobstructed access to the gun grip, hammer thong, belled out top lip, wide rear spine, branded belt keeper, three point fastening system in the back. Those are some of the standard features on the Matt Black rig. 

Now comes the High Country embellishments. 
Basket weave tooling 
Engraved nickel spots 
Two toned finish
Holster lip overlay with engraved nickel spots 
Holster bands with silver and gold plated slot concho held on by an alcantara strap and adorned with engraved nickel spots. 
24k Gold plated (by me)star concho with 7mm Swarovski clear crystal. 
Built in screw knife holster basket weaved and treated with engraved nickel spots. 
Then I brought it all together with a black highlight around the perimeter. 

This brings together two worlds great looks and extremely high performance! Blending high function with class and style This one is built to last a lifetime and beyond. 

I absolutely love the way this one came out!

i know there are leather hobbyists that are much better than I am but I had fun making this one! 

I am just glad to have a new rig for myself for a change! 

5803822E-785F-44A1-8008-B79202A7D4C9.jpeg

6F63B59F-7153-442F-BF77-1638DC08A189.jpeg

FD5E9A9B-476C-4C0A-81E5-A774C2CAABA9.jpeg

113927F4-F8CA-4941-A055-EEC5DDE936A8.jpeg

C2A5CA82-7568-492D-933B-69A54CFF6681.jpeg

FB254C02-3DCE-419E-945B-79F519197705.jpeg

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

How many hours did it take to complete? 

OLG 

Iy took a total of between 12-14 hours to build this one not counting time spent figuring out what I wanted to do,

10 minutes ago, Santa Fe River Stan,36999L said:

Wow!!!!!

That looks incredible! Good Job!

Stan

Thank you Stan! I'm looking forward to putting this one to work in Florida!

Awesome looking rig!

That looks incredible.  Absolutely beautiful.

One trivia question, is there any kind of retention adjustment?  Some of us :rolleyes: aren't very smooth when we're moving from one shooting position to another.  Is there a concern about it bouncing out as I'm lumbering from here to there?

A gorgeous rig to be proud of and with all that bling the spotters will be so blinded they will have to call fewer misses. A Win, Win situation.

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

One trivia question, is there any kind of retention adjustment?  Some of us :rolleyes: aren't very smooth when we're moving from one shooting position to another.  Is there a concern about it bouncing out as I'm lumbering from here to there?

I was wondering something like that myself. While it's a gorgeous rig that I would wear very proudly, there's a lot of gun sticking out of there. Way too much for my liking. But of course I am not a champion in this game either.

Incredible work Colt.  That is an amazing rig.  Congratulations on your holster business.  I am seeing them around and they have all the bells and whistles and are extremely thought out.  I had no idea you were back in business.  SASS Kicker is still shooting one of your rigs from 9 years ago.  Fantastic......

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

that is actually a very good question and I’m glad you asked. There is no adjustment for retention however my holsters are designed to grab at the cylinder. The guns are never loose in our holsters because I make them tight on purpose. There is fluctuation in the leather depending on weather sometimes. We carry a little lube for a potentially sticky holster. All of that being said my holsters that have the hydro dipped metal inlay stay the exact same all the time as they do with the optional kydex layered in.  On any of the holsters I build there is never a problem with a loose gun. Message me sometime and I will share some maintenance tips and a product I have that will help yours should you be having trouble. Although I can tell you right now what the absolute best solution would be for you but I won’t. Lol 

23 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Absolutely amazing rig Colt!! Every rig I've seen that you've made looks great and obviously perform as well as they look!

Randy

That’s the beauty of my rigs is they function even better than they look. Matt Black has proved that time and again. Thank you for the kind words. 

Very nice pilgrim. Having new rig being built for me that was a surprise from my Sly Puppy.

Fantastic wife she is.

JRJ

1 hour ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Very nice pilgrim. Having new rig being built for me that was a surprise from my Sly Puppy.

Fantastic wife she is.

JRJ

Thank you Joe! 

I like it very much! It's riveting!:D

Beautiful craftsmanship Colt! I think you need to change your description of “hobbyist” to professional! Love the black accents! Are you coming to Land Run in April? I would love to see this rig. Thanks- SCJ

Don’t post much anymore but will to brag on a friend. As far as retention goes a competitive holster would be no good if it didn’t retain the gun through a full course of movement. Colt’s rigs do that. Having more gun exposed is very common in todays leather and has been for sometime. Beautiful rig!!

That’s some great  looking leather, Colt. Nice job.

Absolutely beautiful. That has to be the best looking rig I’ve ever seen and perfectly functional on top of that. I would have guessed at least twice the amount of hours to build considering all the leather tooling and spot layout. Great job!

Hi Colt,

That rig you built is beautiful, talented work.  There is a lot of knowledgeable, precise work there, involving carving, tooling, stitching, and setting of those beautiful conchos and spots.  That, along with knowing how to use and place internal steel and Kydex supports.  Very, very nice!  Anyone would like to have something that nice.

The only “must have” addition I can see (for me) would be hammer retention thongs to prevent the guns from accidental falling out while handling or unusual moving about.

Will you message me with your phone number and email address?

Regards,

Cat Brules

I love this rig. My favorite so far. (with your mind I am sure you will end up coming up with something else that I will love)

Make me think about going back to work so I can get one. (I'm semi retired)  

Certainly qualifies for B-Western!  Can't believe that you only took that amount of time... either I'm terrible, or you're terribly talented... ;) probably both!!!

5 hours ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Beautiful craftsmanship Colt! I think you need to change your description of “hobbyist” to professional! Love the black accents! Are you coming to Land Run in April? I would love to see this rig. Thanks- SCJ

Yes I will be there! I live 10 minutes from the range in Arcadia. 

5 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Don’t post much anymore but will to brag on a friend. As far as retention goes a competitive holster would be no good if it didn’t retain the gun through a full course of movement. Colt’s rigs do that. Having more gun exposed is very common in todays leather and has been for sometime. Beautiful rig!!

Thank you so much my friend! 

Archived