SASS Wire Forum

Reversing double triggers on a SxS

Tex Wilson

I've read that on a double trigger SxS that the triggers can be reversed. Is there an advantage to reversing the triggers? Is this true on all models of coach guns or just on some?

9 minutes ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

I've read that on a double trigger SxS that the triggers can be reversed. Is there an advantage to reversing the triggers?

I can't tell a huge difference myself. In theory it is a very few 100ths of a second quicker to slide the finger back for a right handed shooter if the back trigger is on the right side.

9 minutes ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

Is this true on all models of coach guns or just on some?

Just the ones that have 2 triggers :P:lol:

There's a write up in the Chronicle that Pettifogger did a few years ago that works on Stoeger and Baikal for sure; don't see why it wouldn't on others.

Detailed article in Nov. & Dec. 2009 Cowboy Chronicles.

http://www.sassnet.com/CCArchive.php

Depends on If you plan to shoot with one trigger or two.    I use two and would never do it. . 

I did it on a Stoeger double trigger SxS.  It was pretty easy.  Just took a little filing on the side of one of the triggers so it would pass the other trigger.  When you reverse their positions, you'll see what I'm talking about.  Did it make any difference?  Probably not.  

Remember hundreds of seconds can turn into tenths of seconds,that turn into seconds which turn into trophies or not

1 minute ago, oak creek martin said:

Remember hundreds of seconds can turn into tenths of seconds,that turn into seconds which turn into trophies or not

So spend the money and get a single trigger instead.

No matter what we do practice is the key.

Tyrel Cody, this past weekend at our match there was a lady shooting a single trigger SxS and twice during the match when she pulled that single trigger, both barrels fired at the same time. That convinced me that a double trigger is the way I will want to go when I buy a SxS and from what I'm reading here on the wire I don't think I'll be reversing the triggers. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

1 minute ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

Tyrel Cody, this past weekend at our match there was a lady shooting a single trigger SxS and twice during the match when she pulled that single trigger, both barrels fired at the same time. That convinced me that a double trigger is the way I will want to go when I buy a SxS and from what I'm reading here on the wire I don't think I'll be reversing the triggers. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Was it by chance a Baikal or a Stoeger? Those two are about the only ones I've heard of having trouble with double firing; I'd also bet she wasn't holding it tight to her shoulder and bump firing.

My son took my SKB and neither of us have ever experienced that. I don't recall any of the folks I shoot with that shoot an SKB or BSS having that problem either.

All that said I either shoot a IAC87, a hammered double, or a Charles Daly 500(2 triggers) which I'm looking for another of.

Evil Dogooder is VERY fast with his double trigger and can work it faster than a lot of single trigger cowboys, but he's worked his butt off to get there.

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Was it by chance a Baikal or a Stoeger? Those two are about the only ones I've heard of having trouble with double firing; I'd also bet she wasn't holding it tight to her shoulder and bump firing.

My son took my SKB and neither of us have ever experienced that. I don't recall any of the folks I shoot with that shoot an SKB or BSS having that problem either.

All that said I either shoot a IAC87, a hammered double, or a Charles Daly 500(2 triggers) which I'm looking for another of.

Evil Dogooder is VERY fast with his double trigger and can work it faster than a lot of single trigger cowboys, but he's worked his butt off to get there.

I don't know if it was a Baikal or Stoeger. I was standing just behind her both times as a spotter and she had it right up against her shoulder so I don't know why both barrels fired simultaneously. I know she did have to load both barrels again for the knockdown targets. 

I've got 2 Baikals with the triggers reversed and wouldn't have it any other way. It makes it very simple to sweep the triggers giving me a much faster follow up shot. Used to shoot an SKB 200E with the single trigger and I could never shoot it as fast but like most things in CAS it's what you're most comfortable with that makes you faster.

I would also be want to add and share, after you do the "Switch Trigger" you will enable yourself to fire your shotgun insanely FAST.   :o   Whether you actually swing to the next target or not. :wacko: In fact .... that second shot will be gone before you can even begin to move the barrels. ;) Insanely fast it is.  Then you get use to the Switch'd Triggers. :)  Maybe.

Also like to share, if you forget to clearance the "new" front trigger on a switch trigger Stoeger, you will be simply amazed at how fast you can get two shot off  B)  Actually sounds just like a single really loud shot and kicks like hell--0  <_<

I did it to my Stoeger by Mr. Pettifogger's article before I started my first match. Can't really say if it makes a difference, but it looks and feels like it should. I've never shot one in competition that was stock.

17 hours ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

I don't want to push the thread further off topic but ... if the gun you are talking about was a Stoeger then "that person" might be interested in a solution that Cypress Sam posted a while back regarding the double fire ...

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/289863-fix-for-single-trigger-stoeger-doubling-problem/

Anyhow ... FWIW ... I used a double trigger Stoeger that I bought off a match table in 2008 (it had a 2006 serial number) for 10 years ...

The gun was great ... never a problem ... and I had always put a finger on each trigger when firing it. 

Whenever I would see someone post about swapping triggers I would roll my eyes and move on. To me ... it was just too easy to use two fingers. 

I got a great grip on the gun doing so and had no interest in doing it any other way (or even trying it!).  (duh ... what dummies!!) ... 

Well .. the year before last I picked up a couple of used Stoegers (one a single and one a "swapped" double trigger) and set them aside for evaluation.

I love the single trigger ... I use it all the time now ... It has a shorter LOP (12.5 instead of the 13.25 I had been using) and I get a higher hand hold (it seems) by only having to put one finger inside the trigger guard (shows up on the timer for me  in faster reload time ... I guess I am getting a better lever release). 

Finally .. I pick up the double trigger one day (during a garage dry fire practice session) and try to put two fingers on the triggers ... and ... something is wrong .... my knuckles are jammed etc ... WTH????!!?? Sooooooooooooooo ... I start handling it just like it is the single trigger ... and couldn't believe it ... wow ... it was just like shooting the single trigger (a nice smooth transition between the triggers w/ only one finger ... not feeling out of control or anything ... very nice)..

Then ... I am thinking about all the other times I knew I was absoutely positively right I was doing it the best way ... etc etc ... (my mr-know-it-all syndrome) etc ...

All I can say ... is IMHO ... that's the way to go w/ a double trigger ... but ... everyone is different ... but ... don't be a dummy like me ... s10.gif.94a4881935b51a68d1dd4e663dc8287f.gif   ... try it (or someone's!!) and see for yourself. Of course .. I'm sticking w/ the single trigger for now (that I have one and it is working gud!!). 

a lady shooting a single trigger SxS and twice during the match when she pulled that single trigger, both barrels fired at the same time.

Yep, it happens with those rebounding hammers on single trigger SxS's  Has happened with me shooting full drams of black powder

I’ve swapped the triggers left for right on two Stoegers, two Cimarrons and one CZ. Some filing and a little bending works on these three brands just fine. For me and my wife the advantage is we can just drag our index finger across the triggers in a smooth sweep. 
I can tell the difference in the wife’s shotgun cadence once she got a feel for the change. It use to bang-bang. Now it’s more like ba-dang.

Not exactly on topic, but.  I started shooting with a Baikal double trigger.  After the first match my middle finger was bleeding from the abuse of the trigger guard during recoil.  It was probably inexperience shooting the gun, but I had a solution.  From then on, I picked up the gun with the intention of using the rear trigger first, then the front trigger.  I think that I unconsciously positioned my hand a little farther from the trigger guard.  With practice, I can get off the rear trigger and onto the front before I can get the sights on the next target.  I have won a couple of speed shotgun side matches, so It has not hurt my times too much.  A caveat, I have shot double taps on a static target rarely.

Chancy

Archived