SASS Wire Forum

Sharps Rifle parts?

Slowhand Bob, 24229

This rifle is I.A. Bgardone  45/70 made in Italy for Taylor & Co.  Looks like it was imported by Winchester Virginia, USA.  This rifle was obtained used about eight years ago and I need a new double set trigger for it now!!  Any help in finding parts would be much appreciated.  Thanks for any information or other ideas.

Winchester did not import it is rifle. Winchester Virginia USA that is Taylor address. They also sale part. try Try VTI  and Dixie gun works.

Bob, Taylor's is the importer, not Winchester.  The barrel says Winchester because that is the town in Virginia where Taylor's is headquartered.

But yes, as the others have mentioned, VTI and Numrich are your best bets, unless you contact Taylor's directly and see if they have the parts you need. 

After some searching on the net I found some information using the makers name.  Virtually nothing positive was in the page of entry’s posted there.  Maker out of business for many years and parts were never very available back then.  Most new parts had to be extensively hand fitted when found.  Though sold as a 45/70 the chambers were reported by many owners to run as long as 45/90.  The current owner says that the triggers are worn beyond redemption and he will have to make a new set. After receiving my report.

I had an IAB Sharps that I got in a bad trade. I quickly learned why IAB stands for It's Always Broken. Towards the end of their run they pushed anything out the door. They installed the wrong style hammer on the lock and then filed the lock down trying to get it to work. It didn't/couldn't work. It was a nightmare to find the correct IAB hammer.

IAB made some good stuff and some awful stuff. Good luck.

Archived