SASS Wire Forum

What DID "prepaid" mean?

Alpo

I was looking at a reproduction 1934 Sears catalog.

22630D5A-8666-442F-BF7A-0A212BAA05A0.thumb.jpeg.28c46228f6311b6143ac68f00bc3fac9.jpeg

If you will notice, all of the prices say NOT PREPAID next to them. I've been trying to figure out what they meant by that. My best guess is SHIPPING NOT INCLUDED. But that's just a guess.

In my experience, “Prepaid” means exactly that.....  Any shipping charges are waived/included in the listed price/cost of the item.

”Not Prepaid” means the opposite.  

If you prepay (remit money in advance of receipt) for a “Not Prepaid” item, you must remit the price of the item, plus the shipping charges, as agreed to with the seller, prior to shipment.

If you are invoiced after the item ships, the seller will pay for agreed upon shipping charges and then, add the shipping charges onto your invoice.  This is sometimes referred to as, “Prepay and Add”.

Cat Brules

I recall my Mom getting things in the mail that came “C.O.D.” - Cash On Delivery. The mailman or delivery man would come to the door to deliver a package and my Mom would pay them. I don’t recall this happening but a couple of times. Could that be what “not prepaid” means?

Postage Due usually refers to a mail worker (today, maybe a machine) having re-weighed a parcel along the way and determining that postage was not correctly charged, and was short-payed at the point of origination.  If postage was overpaid, too bad for you or the sender...USPS ignores that, unless you bring it to their attention.

COD (Cash On Delivery) isn’t usually seen any more.  At least, I haven’t seen it.  That essentially means that the Postal Service actually has to work for for its money.  We simply can’t have THAT!! :huh: :o 

Cat Brules

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I recall my Mom getting things in the mail that came “C.O.D.” - Cash On Delivery. The mailman or delivery man would come to the door to deliver a package and my Mom would pay them. I don’t recall this happening but a couple of times. Could that be what “not prepaid” means?

+1

Freight Prepaid - used to state that the cost of transporting goods is paid by the person or company sending them:.

Archived