SASS Wire Forum

Watched Centennial with Robert Conrad

Buffalo Creek Law Dog

I just watched Centennial with Robert Conrad, for the 2nd time in about 6 or 7 years.  His French Canadian accent was pretty decent until he pronounces the city of Montreal a couple times.  He pronounces it in English.  Of all the French Canadians that I served with in the Air Force, when they spoke English they always pronounced Montreal in French.  In English it is pronounced Mont-ree-all, in French it is pronounced Moe-re-al.  Not a big deal nor am I knitting picking, but only an English Canadian that hung out with French Canadians would notice that.  Conrad's role in that show was my favorite part of the whole program, a very good actor.

There are English words that do not have a French equivalent.  I used to chuckle when a couple of French Canadians would be speaking in French and the odd English word would pop out, such as Teenager, or weekend.  Every RCAF aircraft since 1924 had a name that went with their model number, until the CF-18 came on line.  It was to be called the Hornet however, there is no French equivalent for the word Hornet, making the CF-18 the only aircraft in the history of the RCAF not to have a name, it's officially just the CF-18.

Well...  according to the Googlenet, the French word for "Hornet" is "Frelon."

But France already has an aircraft with that name ~ the Aérospatiale Super Frelon helicopter.  :)

And now, dangit, I need to go watch "Centennial" again. Haven't seen it since it was broadcast over 40 years ago!  ^_^

Oh - by the way!  I met a couple of Canadian pilots at the Salinas Airshow, back in '18 and '19. They'd cruised on down from Moosejaw in a    CT-156 Harvard II... their version of our T-6 Texan II.  And yup... back in the day, their version of our original AT-6 Texan was a Harvard.  B)

'

9 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Well...  according to the Googlenet, the French word for "Hornet" is "Frelon."

But France already has an aircraft with that name ~ the Aérospatiale Super Frelon helicopter.  :)

And now, dangit, I need to go watch "Centennial" again. Haven't seen it since it was broadcast over 40 years ago!  ^_^

Oh - by the way!  I met a couple of Canadian pilots at the Salinas Airshow, back in '18 and '19. They'd cruised on down from Moosejaw in a    CT-156 Harvard II... their version of our T-6 Texan II.  And yup... back in the day, their version of our original AT-6 Texan was a Harvard.  B)

'

When we asked why  the name Hornet was dropped, that was their explanation.  All previous RCAF aircraft had English names and the CF-18 was the first aircraft that came online after Canada was declared a bilingual country, where everything connected with the federal government must have everything in English and French.  Canada is currently looking for a replacement to the CF-18 and it appears to be the F-35.  I will bet if it is the one  that they purchase, it will be the 2nd and last  RCAF aircraft without a name, just because it will need two different names in two different languages, and it is easier to just forget that part.  As the old Red Rose Tea commercials used to say, "Only in Canada you say.....pity."

Archived