SASS Wire Forum

Is anybody using Shooter's World powder?

Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580

Is any one of you fine folks using Shooter's World powder for any cartridge, not just CAS loads? I'm asking because I load a lot of .223 and Shooter's World Tactical Rifle is almost $5 a pound cheaper than the Benchmark that I've been using, and according to Shooter's World reloading data would use about the same load weight as I'm currently using. I'm also looking at their Clean Shot as a replacement for the Clays that I load in my C45S brass for my pistols. Again, much lower price per pound. It would be nice to save every penny that I can save so I can shoot more, and these powders look like a heckuva deal if they'll do the job. Anyone?

Charlie,

I have used Shooters World 'Clean Shot' for nearly 4-5 years now in Cowboy competition.

Its my favorite in my .32 H&R Rugers and my 9mm load.

I think I've also had good results with Clean Shot in my C45S ammo, but I would have to look

up my data to verify.   

..........Widder

I've used Cleanshot in my .38 special and .45 Colt loads for about 4 years now. I used to use Bullseye, but after trying the cleanshot I found no reason to go back. It's a great choice for CAS loads. I haven't loaded for anything but CAS in a long time, but will be trying it in other calibers when I get around to it.

I use Clean Shot for 12 ga loads. 1oz #7.5 with 16 gr of Clean Shot for me

1 oz # 7.5 with 13 gr for kid (maybe a touch lighter than Win LRLN)

Works great!

Looking at 200 grains in 45 Colt, Max published loads..
Clean Shot is only 68% as fluffy as Clays..
This means more empty space in the case with Clean Shot.

Using the published charge weights:
667 charges per pound with Clays
854 charges per pound with Clean Shot

Thanks, folks! I'm looking at a rather large powder investment later this year, and it sounds like the Shooter's World powders may be the way I go!

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Charlie,

I have used Shooters World 'Clean Shot' for nearly 4-5 years now in Cowboy competition.

I think I've also had good results with Clean Shot in my C45S ammo, but I would have to look

up my data to verify.   

..........Widder

If you could check on your C45S data it would be very much appreciated!

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Charlie,

up my data to verify.   

..........Widder

Agree on the 32 H & R's. I've loaded nothing but Shooters World (from Scarlett) for Ophelia's 32's since she got them. I bought 15 lbs from Scarlett a few years ago, & can't tell that any is gone from the 1st jug. It doesn't take much.

Per multiple request:

My load and chronographed data using CLEAN SHOT in the C45S.

Separately listed is also some 9mm load data using CLEAN SHOT.

C45S

160 gr. bullet.   

Ruger Vaq with 3.5" barrels

4.2 gr     avg vel:  540 fps

4.6 gr     avg vel:  640 ----->  This 4.6 gr with the 160 bullet is my favorite Cowboy load.

4.8 gr     avg vel:  677

5.0 gr     avg vel:  713

SIDE NOTES:   Clean Shot meters like liquid mercury in your powder hopper.  Super consistent.

All cases extracted well.  There were NO pressure signs.

As a PLUS for the C45S case,  it can be loaded to '.45 ACP SUPER'  performance using 

your favorite 160, 185 & 200 grain ACP bullets and Powders such as Power Pistol and AA7.

These are GREAT self defense loads.  

9mm

115 gr. Berrys bullet.

Pistol:   SIG P320   4.7" barrel

4.4 gr     avg vel:  1154   (13 fps variation from slowest to fastest for 5 shots)

9mm

124 gr. lead by Scarlett Darlin

Pistol:   SIG P320    4.7" barrel

3.5 gr     avg vel:  977   (12 fps variation from slowest to fastest for 10 shots)

4.0 gr     avg vel:  1025  (33 fps variation from slowest to fastest for 10 shots)

SIDE NOTES:   CLEAN SHOT may be about the most consistant VELOCITY performance

I have used, although I don't experiment with the 9mm much.

For self defense loads,  I really like BLUE DOT (7.3 gr)  with a 124 gr Speer Gold Dot HP.

Avg velocity is 1190 fps.   But accuracy in my Walther PPQ Q5 is a dead on 1.5" at 10 yards

off hand, AND..... Point of Aim was Point of Impact.   Love it. 

Hope this helps some of you.   I really like CLEAN SHOT.

And as mentioned by Max Payne, it is also a great .32 H&R powder.  Thats basically all I use in my

Cowboy competition ammo.

I buy ALL my CLEAN SHOT from Scarlett Darlin.   She gives great prices and even greater HUGS... :wub:

..........Widder

9 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Per multiple request:

My load and chronographed data using CLEAN SHOT in the C45S.

Separately listed is also some 9mm load data using CLEAN SHOT.

..........Widder

Thanks, Widder! I appreciate the information immensely!

Archived