SASS Wire Forum

Nope. Never touched it, probably never will.

What’s your problem with the Navy, bug eater?:D

Actually I took the SEALS physical test in boot camp and passed. I just couldn’t be a SEAL though. I had a “critical rating”. I may have eaten a bug to become a SEAL. I still think my Company Commander set me up on that test. He knew I couldn’t become a SEAL yet he waited until after the tests to tell me. It’s just as well. I don’t think I would have been a good SEAL. I hate swimming in the dark...in water that has large creatures in it. 

12 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Tongue might be delicious but there just ain't no reason to eat tongue with the vast availability of meat from the rest of the critter. Thinking beef critters here.

It's  just another muscle group.   A bit finer grained than most.   

Great smoked or pickled.   Makes for a killer sandwich. 

Scuba was fun, and I already did a lot of long distance swimming BUT jumping out of perfectly good, sirplanes was NOT!!! The rest was simply endurance and a few skills. When I left the Corps, finished college and went to work, I joined the Chicago Black Belt Judo Club. and already was mediocre.  ;)

My MOS had no need for that training but it was so new that the Corps overtrained us. I ended with a 2533, a 2572 and and 8654. That was sixty four years ago.  When my eldest son made captain, he did some sky diving to show his acrophoebic dad he was much more a Marine and and tougher than his dad. I granted him his wish!!!!  :D

6 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Scuba was fun, and I already did a lot of long distance swimming BUT jumping out of perfectly good, sirplanes was NOT!!! The rest was simply endurance and a few skills. When I left the Corps, finished college and went to work, I joined the Chicago Black Belt Judo Club. and already was mediocre.  ;)

My MOS had no need for that training but it was so new that the Corps overtrained us. I ended with a 2533, a 2572 and and 8654. That was sixty four years ago.  When my eldest son made captain, he did some sky diving to show his acrophoebic dad he was much more a Marine and and tougher than his dad. I granted him his wish!!!!  :D

At over 250 jumps, I easily have jumped out of more airplanes than I have landed in. Whenever someone uses the old "perfectly good airplane" comment, my thought is if a plane is gonna crash it's gonna happen on the ground, so why would I want to be in that death trap when it happens. I would much rather be floating down in my own chute where I am in control.

I've always had the philosophy if other humans eat it and it's not harmful, I'll try it.  I've tried some pretty exotic foods, but most of them I didn't much care for and some taste down right disgusting!

Snake

Lizard

Alligator

Crow

Snails

Bugs

Dog

Cat

Raw fish

Rotted fish

Dried fish

Shell fish

Korean Kimchi

Question:

Who drank or ate the first forms of these and thought they tasted good?

Beer

Coffee

Cashews

Chocolate

Whiskey

Kimchi

33 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Question:

Beer

Coffee

Cashews

Chocolate

Whiskey

Kimchi

I know everything else takes a while to get used to, but the very first time I had a cashew I thought it was delicious.

12 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I know everything else takes a while to get used to, but the very first time I had a cashew I thought it was delicious.

Alpo, I understand that raw cashews taste horrible and are toxic.  But I agree with you, the first time I ate roasted cashews I thought they were delicious.

I was thinking about food that had to be processed before they were edible.

Wasn't aware cashews were one of them.

I understand that olives are not edible as they come off the tree. Acorns - I was reading how to make acorn flour. Once you ground the nut you have to soak it in three or four changes of water, to leech the tannins out of it and make it edible.

So someone said, deer eat them. I'll give it a try. Nasty, bitter. I'll soak it in water. Still nasty. I'll soak it again. Still nasty. Maybe this time will fix it.

How would anyone come up with the idea of doing this?

Anything with yams or sweet potatoes I detest. Most everything else I’ll eat unless it’s a bug or a snake or a lizard. I’m rapidly losing my taste for cauliflower. Lingua (tongue) tacos are very good. I ate dog one time but didn’t know it was dog until a couple of days later when I was told about it. Went on a trip through Taiwan one time to a bunch of little towns not named Kaichung or Taipei and our tour guide told us that if we had to ask what it was then don’t eat it, that was politer than turning your nose up at it when the server told you what it was after you asked, they eat a lot of gross stuff over there.

I was started on hog fries at a young age and over the years have had mountain oysters from a number of different species, calf, turkey, lamb, yak, bison, elk and a couple of more but can’t think of them right now.

4 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Question:

Olives.  I  tried one right off the tree when I  was about 10.  So bitter it just about turned my face inside out. 

How did people figure out how to make them tasty?

4 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Ah two things I won't eat are bats and monkeys. Apparently those aren't very healthy for us

You watched The Wizard of Oz too many times. Them flying moneys was good eating.:ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

You watched The Wizard of Oz too many times. Them flying moneys was good eating.:ph34r:

Just as long as I don’t catch coronavirus or ebola 

53 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Just as long as I don’t catch coronavirus or ebola 

I'm so old I saw the Wizard of Oz first time in a movie theater at age 4! To this day I don't dare look at monkey face to face. I'm afraid they might smile at me! :unsure: As far as the coronavirus  goes, I'm staying put until they find a cure. Last I heard was 60% of the world population could be exposed if a remedy is not found soon. :angry:

keeping the title going I would not ever eat any animal brains. It's just not smart to do so.

43 minutes ago, Highwall said:

I'm so old I saw the Wizard of Oz first time in a movie theater at age 4! To this day I don't dare look at monkey face to face. I'm afraid they might smile at me! :unsure: As far as the coronavirus  goes, I'm staying put until they find a cure. Last I heard was 60% of the world population could be exposed if a remedy is not found soon. :angry:

keeping the title going I would not ever eat any animal brains. It's just not smart to do so.

Also I've never been grossed out by eating/trying any vegetable but watching frog legs kick in the skillet and a guy downing live crickets did!

9 hours ago, Highwall said:

Also I've never been grossed out by eating/trying any vegetable but watching frog legs kick in the skillet and a guy downing live crickets did!

High wall, you remind me of a story. 

In 1972, I was stationed at a Nike-Hercules missile site in S Korea. Three of my buddies and I gave the kids in the village each a 100 Won (about $0.10) to bring us all the frogs they could catch. The kids brought us well over a hundred frogs. The legs were small, about the size of your index finger. We made a batter and deep fried those frog legs in a coffee can of cooking oil. The best, sweetest little frog legs I ever ate. Even sharing with the kids, we ate frog legs until we thought we were going to burst. Delicious!!!

23 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

High wall, you remind me of a story. 

In 1972, I was stationed at a Nike-Hercules missile site in S Korea. Three of my buddies and I gave the kids in the village each a 100 Won (about $0.10) to bring us all the frogs they could catch. The kids brought us well over a hundred frogs. The legs were small, about the size of your index finger. We made a batter and deep fried those frog legs in a coffee can of cooking oil. The best, sweetest little frog legs I ever ate. Even sharing with the kids, we ate frog legs until we thought we were going to burst. Delicious!!!

855370808_Annotation2020-02-14090704.png.f06f98d724d59c0315efe51c04fcea78.png

One of my favorite National Lampoon cartoons from the 70's! :D

To be totally honest I think I've eaten everything mentioned on this topic in a plain ole hot dog!:blink:

Mark Twain once stated that cauliflower is nothing but a cabbage with a college education! :lol: 

Archived