SASS Wire Forum

Nope. Never touched it, probably never will.

The post by Yul got me thinking about specific foods that I have never actually tasted,

and most likely will never try in my life, as I have no desire to do so.

Not talking about recipes, or specific dishes, but the actual food item itself.

Here are a few of mine:

1. Asparagus
  2. Broccoli  Brussel Sprouts (thanks Marshal Mo Hare)
  3. Cauliflower
  4. Hot Peppers
  5. Oysters

Anything from Burger King.

But seriously...

Mountain oysters

Tripe

Brains

Liver

Clamato beer

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Huitlachche (Odd, I know, since I really like mushrooms)

Brains

Asparagus

Artichokes (too much trouble to prep and eat)

Peppers hotter than serrano

SDJ:

When I say 5a277b2708c64_LIKEIcon.JPG.615eca1cc4371f962122cc7f2349de44.JPG I mean I agree with your choices as they could just as well appear on my list too.

38 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

The post by Yul got me thinking about specific foods that I have never actually tasted,

Here are a few of mine:

1. Asparagus
  2. Broccoli
  3. Cauliflower
  4. Hot Peppers
  5. Oysters

If you never tasted them how do you know you won't like them?

46 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

If you never tasted them how do you know you won't like them?

Rye,

I developed an enmity early in life due to the creamy vegetables from Gerber Foods, thus refraining from certain green vegetables.

Other than those in the pea or bean category, the ones I have tried (and therefore could not put on the list) I disliked.

I was a quick study of the Pavlovian theory.

Smell is another common denominator. It may taste good, but if you can't get past the smell....well.

Hope this helps to clarify my reasoning.

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Here are a few of mine:

1. Asparagus
  2. Broccoli
  3. Cauliflower
  4. Hot Peppers
  5. Oysters

I’m betting you forgot to mention Brussels sprouts.

21 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I’m betting you forgot to mention Brussels sprouts.

Marshal,

Thanks, you are correct, and I updated my list to reflect it.

I forgot that I had first tried Broccoli when I was 50 years old; however, I must clarify that I only eat raw florets.

My wife and I discovered that the heavy stems of the broccoli could be shredded and used in coleslaw which I like also.

Things that I will never eat:

Balut

Brains

Animal Cajones

Things I have eaten that no one will ever make me  eat again:

Liver

Gizzards / Guts

Kale (Weeds)

Anything that comes with the disclaimer: "It's an acquired taste"

Pigskins / Pork rinds

Pimento loaf

Baby animals - Lamb, Veal, stuff like that.

Things I love (well, like, anyway) listed above:

Asparagus

Brussel Sprouts

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Wow. I've eaten almost all of the foods mentioned. Not sayin I like all of them, but I have tried them. By the way, beef and buffalo tongue are excellent and I love oysters.

Irish Tom.

I haven’t knowingly eaten human flesh yet.  Might never do that.  However, there are 3 humans I’d like to roast over a slow fire.  But, eating them?  No.  Let the vultures and coyotes have them.

I’ve probably eaten everything commercially available though, at one time or the other.

I hadn’t tried kidneys, but I got sent over to Juarez early one morning (“Hurry, before somebody beats you there!!”) and found this little “market”.  This guy was selling beef.  He had 4 complete sides of beef hanging from hooks in the open air.  I had him “surgically” remove the 4 kidneys, wrap them up in newspaper and I brought them back for dinner.  It was pretty good.

Yes, I’ve eaten fried grasshoppers and ants before.  Can’t say much for the ants, but the grasshoppers weren’t bad.

Cat Brules

Tongue might be delicious but there just ain't no reason to eat tongue with the vast availability of meat from the rest of the critter. Thinking beef critters here.

3 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

• Oysters

When growing up I remember my dad used to love making oyster soup. Then one day my friend came over, and in his typical talk-without-thinking style saw him making it and told him it looked like something an ox blew out of its nose. I don't recall my dad making it very often after that episode. :wacko:

3 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Rye,

I developed an enmity early in life due to the creamy vegetables from Gerber Foods, thus refraining from certain green vegetables.

Other than those in the pea or bean category, the ones I have tried (and therefore could not put on the list) I disliked.

I was a quick study of the Pavlovian theory.

Smell is another common denominator. It may taste good, but if you can't get past the smell....well.

Hope this helps to clarify my reasoning.

It doesn’t but that’s okay:lol:

20 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Why did I open this thread? I think I will barf. Bye!

Ms. Allie Mo,

Probably because of your love of the feline persuasion. ;)

Image result for curiosity killed the cat

6 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Huitlachche (Odd, I know, since I really like mushrooms)

Brains

Asparagus

Artichokes (too much trouble to prep and eat)

Peppers hotter than serrano

6 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Anything from Burger King.

But seriously...

Mountain oysters

Tripe

Brains

Liver

Clamato beer

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Things that I will never eat:

Balut

Brains

Animal Cajones

Remaining text removed solely to 59f1f6ccc47ae_SavethePlanet-RESIZED.jpg.d0d9d7045a470b02a0d3da126986c983.jpg.

I completely understand, as they are an "acquired" taste. :o

1835794855_zombiecowboyeatingbrains.jpg.dbcf1aa66601ae064c008e89c73d5299.jpg

It's amazing the stuff that y'all have never eaten.

I have eaten much on these lists. Plan to never eat any of it again, but have eaten it.

Brains. Came in a little blue can like potted meat or Vienna sausage. Mama'd scramble them up with eggs. Daddy liked them, which is undoubtedly why Mama got them. We only had them a couple of OR three times, so I assume she told him that while he might like them, the other four of us did not.

Brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower. Yuch.

Was that AT an Italian restaurant with a friend one time and he and his girlfriend told me that I should try some calamari. After I ate a couple they asked how I liked it. I said it tasted like deep-fried rubber bands dipped in marinara sauce. They were just so happy when they could tell me IT'S SQUID!! I told them I knew it was squid. I don't know a lot of Italian but I did know that word. I had never had it before so I thought what the hell. Don't plan on having it again.

At a Chinese buffet once and they had little octopuses (if it was a Latin word it would be octopi, but octopus is Greek, so it's octopuses). I put one on my plate, I ate one arm, and I left the rest there. But I tried it.

Was force-fed liver several times as a child. Have had chicken gizzards. Have eaten kale, once.

I also will not again eat

Rutabagas

Eggplant

Cooked Yellow squash

Okra in any shape or form

Dried black-eyed peas

Lima beans no matter how they're cooked

I could go on. There are many more "foods" that I will not eat, than ones that I will eat.

8 minutes ago, Alpo said:

It's amazing the stuff that y'all have never eaten.

Asparagus I tried one bite,  so I can't really claim I have eaten it.  

Artichokes I've prepped.   Tried 2 leaves.  So again,  I can't really claim to have eaten it. 

Saw raw liver years ago, don't need to taste it. It looked like a huge blood clot, not food.:lol:

I have to agree with you on that.

I give it to the dog occasionally. Good source of iron, or so they tell me. I put this blood clot on a plate, nuke it for 2 minutes. Cut it up into bite-size pieces and scrape it on top of her Purina one. She does her vacuum cleaner imitation.

I've read the entire list. I've eaten all of the items on the list that people won't eat except....

Balut

Ants

Human Flesh

Eyeballs

Most of the stuff listed actually taste good in their own respect.

The absolute worst, so called, food on Earth is beets of any kind.

I'd rather eat raw Human Flesh that's covered in fire ants on a skewer with Balut and Eyeballs.

5 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

My mother always complained that I was too fussy, and would give me "there's starving children in Africa" line when I didn't want to eat something on my plate. I always offered to take my leftovers down to the FedEx office the next morning...

Allan Sherman (anybody remember him from Camp Granada?) talked about why he was overweight; his mother told him kids were starving in Europe, this was post WWII, so he always cleaned his plate, “and they kept starving and I got fat!”  

Seamus

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Bugs are not food. They do not count as food of any kind in my mind and I would definitely never eat them. Period.

You’ve obviously never been to Ranger school or sere school

2 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

You’ve obviously never been to Ranger school or sere school

Nope. I took a different route in the military sans bugs. 

Archived