SASS Wire Forum

Pros and Cons: Henry Big Boy vs Marlin 1894CB in 44 Mag

bgavin

6 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Mine started with a 20 gauge and quickly went to a 12 gauge w/ BP loads. Hard to find factory low recoil rounds for the 20 gauge.

A 12 gauge Baikal single trigger is pretty light(if you can find one). Use BP or sub and cut short to fit can be very comfortable for children and ladies.

I have a really nice Browning BSS I was considering selling, but I think I will instead cut the barrels and save that for the boy. He's got nicer holsters than me, so why not nicer guns?

39 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I have a really nice Browning BSS I was considering selling, but I think I will instead cut the barrels and save that for the boy. He's got nicer holsters than me, so why not nicer guns?

He's probably better look'n than you too :P

OP-When you see the price of 410 ammo.

You'll go with either 20 or 12ga.

OLG 

18 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

He's probably better look'n than you too :P

OP-When you see the price of 410 ammo.

You'll go with either 20 or 12ga.

OLG 

Without a doubt. That's not even a close one for debate. Fortunately, he got his looks from his mother.

I live in California, as you well know, so no buying ammo for me. I have to reload it all anyway.

1 hour ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I live in California, as you well know, so no buying ammo for me. I have to reload it all anyway.

Same for me.
By the time the 44s get out of CA waiting periods, I will be ready to reload 'em.
Starting out with some Starline #4400 Russian in mouse fart loads.

I use lightly loaded 20 gauge doubles for Scout CAS. They have less recoil than the .410s. I only have one 20 gauge double. I use that for newbies with my .38s.

I ordered some brass .410 shells and plan to lightly load them for the kids. I hope that works out.

Just today I watched a video by Hickok 45 reviewing the HBB in .357/.38spl.  Since I never shot one I can't give a first hand critique, but just watching the video it looked to have problems with ejecting spent rounds.  Here it is

I can speak about the .44 Marlin having owned and used one in CAS from 2001-07; still use it for Wild Bunch. Switched to .38 in CAS and started using a Codymatic 73. The Marlin has been worked on (not short stroked) by Mid-Maryland and is not quite as fast as the 73, but equally reliable. Use medium cowboy loads of Trail Boss under a 200 gr. LRFP. Had one issue with the "Marlin Jam" afterabout 10 years which was quickly fixed with a new carrier. Had the old one repaired by one of smiths on the wire and have it for a backup. Just remember to keep all the screws tight and the Marlin is like a Timex, just keeps on ticking. As it's a JM made gun, can always get way more than I paid for it. Was thinking about a Uberti 73 in .44 but only shoot about six Wild Bunch matches a year.

I am one of the few individuals who has had issues with a Henry .22 and got rid of it when I found a Marlin "B" prefix Model 39 made in 1941 for the same price as a Henry .22. Don't know about the .44 Henry's, but the .22's internals appear to me to be a low-cost design and very difficult to service.

I use a Henry Original at some matches. It works just fine and is historically correct, which is important if you compete in NCOWS. I know of one shooter that used the Henry Big Boy and the one issue that he has was when he lost his grip on the magazine rod and it almost shot out onto the range. Luckily a screen stopped it.

I load my own shotgun ammo using brass shells in .410, 28, 20, 16, 12, 10 and 8. That way, I control the loads, recoil and shotsize. :)

I found that even low recoil 20s kick and the .410s bring "owies". The tens and the 8 recoil is "memorable"!  :P

For kids, I lightly load .410s and 20s.  :wub:

I shot 1 1/2 stages of my very first SASS match in November of 2012 with a Henry Big Boy. It jammed, & Arizona Ranger loaned me a 73 to finish the match. The Big Boy is beautiful as best I can remember. It's been in the back of the gun safe since then.

The Henry Big Boy is a nice rifle, but not the best choice for Cowboy Action Shooting.  The Marlin is a much better choice, for this game.  Smart to ask; pay heed to the information provided.

Cheers,

FJT

Another Option for Buckeretts and Buckeroos is a S X S in 28 ga.

With the "Right" size frame they are light and responsive and kick less with a 5/8 oz. load that a .410 with the same shot weight ...

Now I shouldn't have said that as ,,,,,,, a 28 ga. double is a Favorite of mine, for up-land game ....

Jabez Cowboy

I am not aware of an inexpensive 28 double.  :angry:  Factory ammo is also a tad dear.

I bought a 28 semi auto for my spouse. That was her very first gun. She, like most girls of my acquaintance, was a "meat" hunter. That little thing accounted for a ton of pheasants and quail.  :)

• 3 months later...

I'm bringing this back up for a quick comment.  Today I shot with Charlie Reynolds, who was shooting a Big Boy.  He was pretty quick with it and very smooth. , best I'd seen one shoot.  I asked him what he had done to it and he said Not a thing.

50 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I'm bringing this back up for a quick comment.  Today I shot with Charlie Reynolds, who was shooting a Big Boy.  He was pretty quick with it and very smooth. , best I'd seen one shoot.  I asked him what he had done to it and he said Not a thing.

I used a Henry and had fun come to think about it shot 27 clean matches using the Henry. 

11 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

When he does have an issue, he will have to ship it back to Henry for repair.

Marlin has far fewer parts. These Marlin parts are made of steel(except that mag follower:angry:).

The Marlin 94 is far easier to keep running. 

Respectfully, 

OLG 

I have won several SASS "Long Distance" lever rifle matches with my .44 Rem Mag Big Boy. It is a superb tack driver. I use a .45 Colt Big Boy loaded with extreme warthog loads of Holy Black for SASS matches. I also provide one in .38 S&W Special for newbies as a loaner.  :)

I have been shooting them for decades WITH NARY A HICCUP.  :wub:

Now that I am pretty close to elderly as an EL REY, I no longer have much problem winning my category so I cannot comment on its speed but years ago it was fast.  :D

I agree with all the advice about the Henry not being a good choice for this sport, but let me address your question about its similarities to the Winchester 1894 by pointing out that the pistol caliber 1894s are also not a good choice for the sport.  30+ years ago, I started out with a Winchester 1894 trapper in .45 colt and had a lot of problems with it.  Many times I levered it fast enough to throw shells right out the top and I had feed jams.   I got rid of it as soon as I could afford a Uberti 1873 (which I still have and shoot).  Life is too short to buy guns that will just frustrate you.  If money is an issue (and when is it not) I would borrow a rifle at matches till you saved enough for a decent used or new 1866 or 1873 or a marlin (though they are are not my cup of tea).  You don’t need to spend a fortune on tuning your rifle.  For a 1866 or 1873, polish up the internals, put in some better springs, get the spring tensions properly adjusted, and it will be great.  Have fun.  

Amendment:  I just noticed that I read your original post incorrectly.  You asked about the Marlin 1894 not the Winchester 1894.  As noted above, Marlin is not my cup of tea, mostly because when I started in SASS Marlins had a very poor reputation for liability.  It was very common for them to jamb open.  You had to take the gun apart to clear the problem.  It was a bit of a mystery back then why this happened.  I understand that Marlin fixed that issue and the guns can be quite competitive, but I like the 1873 action.

I hand load all of my guns so recoil in my .410s and 20s is quite manageable. IMHO, lightly loaded 12s can have less recoil than the smaller gauges. I have brass shell cases for all of my shotguns including my 8 gauge.. I never use factory ammunition.

When we offer CAS to Scouts, besides my hand loads low velocity factory 20s are  the choice for kids.

When we offer CAS to Scouts, besides my hand loads, factory low velocity 20s are PhPr7Im.jpg?1

I'm a consistent 35 to 40 Second stage shooter and I'm ok with that.

I love my 92's and shot them with content for several years .

Then I got into The Holy Black ! 

The 92 was ok with it .

But it shour did suck to clean .

I have a new in the box 44 Mag HRA Big Boy .

I heard all the talk and people repeating what other people said.

I bought it just because I liked the looks of the gun .

So one day I decided to take it straight from the box to a local shoot .

I shot a clean match with Zero hang ups .

With that all being said .

No I did not continue too use the HRA Big Boy .

But I also know it CAN be used at A Slow Pace !

PS. I switched over to a Cimmaron Yellow Boy 66 in 44 Special with the octogon barrel. 

Mmmm much love for that rifle .

Now that I'm done shooting I hope the Pard that got my 66 loves her as much as I did .

So saith The Rooster 

am I the only one who thinks a front loading lever gun has got to be one of the most ridiculous designs ever. I just don't understand why anyone designing a gun would go that route? 

To me personally it is a complete deal breaker. I walk my woods with my lever guns, shoot in the backyard, and am now getting into sass, and have always thought that. I continually top off my lever guns when walking or taking a break to let another shooter shoot, and to have to take that stupid rod out every time just seems like Henry engineers wanted us to suffer lol. 

2 hours ago, Big Hand Zack said:

am I the only one who thinks a front loading lever gun has got to be one of the most ridiculous designs ever. I just don't understand why anyone designing a gun would go that route? 

To me personally it is a complete deal breaker. I walk my woods with my lever guns, shoot in the backyard, and am now getting into sass, and have always thought that. I continually top off my lever guns when walking or taking a break to let another shooter shoot, and to have to take that stupid rod out every time just seems like Henry engineers wanted us to suffer lol. 

Personally, I don't know WHY the engineers at Henry designed it that way.  But I got a thought about it.

Its possible they didn't understand the timing characteristics of the carrier, positioning of the lever (and its design) when the 

action is closed..... and the importance of proper positioning of the loading gate when placing it in the side of the frame.

Just a guess.

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Big Hand Zack said:

Along with every 22 lever action rifle manufacturer? 

My Marlin 1894 .44 mag is a dedicated saddle rifle, it is not a CAS gun and it is just as tough as nails.  You can shoot  full loads through it all day long.  It has seen a lot of back country carry in a scabbard.  My partner has the Henry, you just cannot shoot it as quick and reloading is rather slow.  Personally, go find a Marlin.

It is an easy design for the guy going to the range.  Easy to load and shoot all day.  Based off the 22 rifle design.  They are fun even at a cowboy match  :)

22 hours ago, WOLFY said:

why buy a henry when you can get an improved henry (ie any Uberti 66)

Because its SEXY ! ! ! :wub:

12 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Because its SEXY ! ! ! :wub:

Wow, the Henry Big Boy is "sexy"?  There really is no accounting for taste.  On the other hand, as an old friend once said “if you like fat girls the world is your oyster!”

10 hours ago, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

Wow, the Henry Big Boy is "sexy"?  There really is no accounting for taste.  On the other hand, as an old friend once said “if you like fat girls the world is your oyster!”

I was referring to a 1860 Henry .

Not the HRA Big Boy ! 

I'm a Henry 1860 Lover .

I dont even think about HRA when I see or read the word Henry .

All though I do like the HRA Big Boy. 

I for One Myself have shot one in a match and I know it can be done .

Its is that just about every Lever gun every built is better suited for the game .

Even the Winchester 94 .lol 

No worries, I too have a soft spot for real Henry rifles and copies.  I own an  engraved uberti and navy arms  and an engraved uberti improved Henry (1866).  One Henry is engraved after the one owned by a relative Capt. Samuel Hymer who was awarded the Medal of Honor during the civil war.  The other is engraved to my taste and the 1866 is engraved to match a set of three that came out of South America.  

I reload all of my guns so, among other things, I control their recoil. I used a 10 and a 12 as a boy and started my sons with 12s. Low recoil factory loads are available that are both comfortable and reasonable. Factory ammunition for 16s, 20s, 28s and .410s are expensive.

If you don't reload, go 12.  :D

16 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I was referring to a 1860 Henry .

Not the HRA Big Boy ! 

I'm a Henry 1860 Lover .

I dont even think about HRA when I see or read the word Henry .

All though I do like the HRA Big Boy. 

I for One Myself have shot one in a match and I know it can be done .

Its is that just about every Lever gun every built is better suited for the game .

Even the Winchester 94 .lol 

I enjoyed my 94 Trail’s End.  It ran fine back when my cowboy ammo was loaded using 44 mag brass.  Once I moved on to 44 spl, it started to have the occasional misfeed.  

In my opinion, a rifle that has discouraged new shooters should no longer be “allowed” by SASS.   When the Henry BB was first produced, it was NOT approved for our game.  The wild bunch or territorial governors weren’t thinking clearly when  they reversed that decision. 

I have had one of the much maligned Winchester 94's since I started in the mid 90's and used it for 10 years or so.  I still use it on occasion for B-Western and since it has a large loop, on John Wayne's birthday if there's a match.  It has run flawlessly all these years.  No, it's not fast and sounds clunky but it shoots great.   

I also use the always vilified Chaparral '73 that, after some work like most guns need, runs perfectly.

Just because lots of folks get on the "Hate the Big Boy" bandwagon doesn't mean it won't work for folks who don't have anything better at the moment.  Does it need to be outlawed?  No. 

If that was the case, should the early Remlins or the Winchester 94 be outlawed since there are those who don't like them?  I wouldn't think so.  If it was the case of being a copy of a gun that never existed, wouldn't that make a case for outlawing a ROA?

They are better choices for a CAS rifle but if someone wants to use a BB, let them.  Be ready to encourage them if they have problems with it so they will stay in the game but don't vilify or demean them because of their choices.

On 2/14/2020 at 8:48 AM, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

I am not aware of an inexpensive 28 double.

The Stoeger Uplander is $382 from Bud's. I picked one up on sale/closeout a few years ago for under $250. A used MEC 600 Jr. off eBay, some hulls from Gunbroker, wads from Sportsman's Warehouse, and I was in the 28 gauge business.

Archived