SASS Wire Forum

Need Stoeger Gunsmith

Jeb Stuart #65654

Have a new shooter that hasn't joined SASS yet, but is starting to buy his guns.  Bought a Stoeger 12 Ga. and would like to have it tuned.  Who do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

Have a new shooter that hasn't joined SASS yet, but is starting to buy his guns.  Bought a Stoeger 12 Ga. and would like to have it tuned. 

I'm your wet blanket.
Also new to the sport, bought a new Stoeger Coach Supreme.
It broke the barrel lug on the 12th shell fired.

If you have it slicked or tuned, Stoeger will not honor the 5-year warranty.
The barrel lug breaking is apparently chronic, so I complained to Stoeger they are producing a lemon, and asked for a refund.
They gave me a refund.

I'm still looking for a shotgun.
Stoeger left a very bad taste in my mouth.
Your mileage may vary...

stoegers are easy to tune, go to Marauder's gun tips,,, 

20 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

stoegers are easy to tune, go to Marauder's gun tips,,, 

Where do I find this Marauder's gun tips?  I tried a search on SASS form, but nothing came up.

On 2/10/2020 at 7:18 PM, bgavin said:

I'm your wet blanket.
Also new to the sport, bought a new Stoeger Coach Supreme.
It broke the barrel lug on the 12th shell fired.

If you have it slicked or tuned, Stoeger will not honor the 5-year warranty.
The barrel lug breaking is apparently chronic, so I complained to Stoeger they are producing a lemon, and asked for a refund.
They gave me a refund.

I'm still looking for a shotgun.
Stoeger left a very bad taste in my mouth.
Your mileage may vary...

If they gave a refund, their policy notwithstanding, I would no longer be butt hurt about Stoeger as a brand or at least would not be going on about it publicly. They probably gave that refund for practical reasons, which you might honor. The numbers probably say that many use Stoeger happily in SASS.

1 hour ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

If they gave a refund, their policy notwithstanding, I would no longer be butt hurt about Stoeger as a brand or at least would not be going on about it publicly. They probably gave that refund for practical reasons, which you might honor. The numbers probably say that many use Stoeger happily in SASS.

And that would be you, but not me.
Refunding for a hit-or-miss product does not give Stoeger the right to silence me, unless I signed an agreement to do so.

The pain of incurring another $75 FFL fee, $40 background fee, $25 safety course fee, shipping delays in both directions, FFL check-in delays  and 10-day waiting period makes owning a Stoeger in CA intolerable.

I can see where an enterprising smith could do well with prepped and reliable Stoegers.
Build up the barrel lug with real steel instead of the junk used by manufacturer.
Machine it to the correct fit and ensure the lug mates correctly in the receiver.  Mine did not.
Install stainless firing pins, and slick the action.
Correctly fit the stock to avoid splits and fractures.

I'd buy a Stoeger prepped this way because I would have confidence it would not break after the 12th shot.
I really liked the gun.. just not the broken barrel lug.

20 minutes ago, bgavin said:

And that would be you, but not me.
Refunding for a hit-or-miss product does not give Stoeger the right to silence me, unless I signed an agreement to do so.

The pain of incurring another $75 FFL fee, $40 background fee, $25 safety course fee, shipping delays in both directions, FFL check-in delays  and 10-day waiting period makes owning a Stoeger in CA intolerable.

I can see where an enterprising smith could do well with prepped and reliable Stoegers.
Build up the barrel lug with real steel instead of the junk used by manufacturer.
Machine it to the correct fit and ensure the lug mates correctly in the receiver.  Mine did not.
Install stainless firing pins, and slick the action.
Correctly fit the stock to avoid splits and fractures.

I'd buy a Stoeger prepped this way because I would have confidence it would not break after the 12th shot.
I really liked the gun.. just not the broken barrel lug.

Just tread lightly, because it is against forum policy.

Personal attacks on members, cyber bullying, libel comments or bashing/slandering of businesses, organizations, individuals or corporations will not be tolerated. Threads deemed to be an attempt to “stir the fire” or are looking for support on their attack will be removed without warning. If you have an issue with a particular organization, business, or corporation, please contact them directly. If you have an issue with a member, please contact a moderator or administrator. 

I wish I would have known about the high frequency of these problems before I bought one, and wasted half a year.
I'm not at all pleased with the lack product quality.

Stoeger is just an importer, the manufacturer is the root cause of the quality problems.
They did me a good turn by refunding instead of subjecting me to a chronic cycle of returns, FFL fees and delays.

Any newbie looking for background can now read my comments and make his own decisions.
And I'm back to looking for a shotgun again.

No.
I found a Charles Daly Miroku on GunBroker and thinking long and hard about that one.
Miroku has a sterling reputation for high quality workmanship and materials.

Otherwise, I should probably buy one from a SASS smith, all prepped and reliable.
It will be pricey, have no warranty, but from a cowboy smith, it should be reliable in adult hands.

1 minute ago, bgavin said:

Otherwise, I should probably buy one from a SASS smith, all prepped and reliable.
It will be pricey, have no warranty, but from a cowboy smith, it should be reliable in adult hands.

Not really a warranty, but most I've dealt with will help you in the event of a failure.

Archived