SASS Wire Forum

SERIOUS CONCERN - QUESTIONS

Colorado Coffinmaker

The only thing I'd add is that if you hit your head hard on anything (maybe not just a bump, but a hard hit, as from a fall or a real slam against something) report forthwith to the ER, tell them you are on blood thinners, had a hard head hit, and ask for a scan. Do not wait for symptoms!

Traumatic subdural hematomas are about 60% mortal, even without blood thinners, and are common enough as people get older. Everything  is fine, then you drop dead. I had one from when my feet went out from under me on ice, and I took a real hit to the head. Felt fine. A few months later, my left hand stopped working right and I was found to have a big subdural that had, luckily, just stopped bleeding before it killed me. It had started 'leaking' again, which led to the symptom. 

I have been taking Plavix and a lo dose aspirin since I had a heart attack 17 years ago.  Recently I was taken off the aspirin and placed on warfarin since I have a recurring problem with A-Fib.  I take Plavix in the morning and warfarin at night.  Other than I bleed quite a bit if injured and bruise a bit easier than if I wasn't taking them, I have had no problems.  I get a finger poke once a month which is no big deal.  My cardiologist suggested one of the meds that don't required a finger poke and I asked how much that med would cost.  He looked it up and it came to something like $500.00 for a 30 day supply.  That works out to be about $16.00 per pill.  I'll skip that and just get the finger poke thanks.

Archived