SASS Wire Forum

SERIOUS CONCERN - QUESTIONS

Colorado Coffinmaker

:(  Twould appear I'll be put on Blood Thinners in my near future.  It's an ugly thought.  Do we have any CAS shooters whom are also taking Blood Thinners, such as Eliquis or Pradaxa???  Would be very interested in your experience and thoughts.

PS:  Please don't reply with "You should ask your Doctor."  My Doctors have less knowledge of CAS and Shotguns than I do of Brain Surgery.

Any splatter that breaks the skin will continue to bleed.

You might wish to consider putting this in your personal first aid kit in your gun cart.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/woundseal-powder-to-stop-bleeding/ID=prod6099456-product

The slightest skin nick and you'll 'leak' like crazy. You'll start carrying a styptic pencil and bandaids with you.

Find what one the doc wants you to use, and research the heck out of it.

Good luck,

OLG 

I take Eliquis so I use a styptic pencil and bandaids also. Still any little nick leaks like a faucet. Try to keep a pretty good stock of bandaids, gauze and tape in your cart.

Good Luck

Jax T

I take xarelto and have been on it for six months with no ill effects but I'm very careful not to get cut. The one time I did injure myself that caused me to bleed the bleeding stopped pretty quickly. Xarelto has a short half life and clears the body quickly if you are going to have any medical procedure 

I've been on 81mg aspirin for years now.  Aspirin acts as a blood thinner.  Any little cut and I bleed alot.  Nicked myself on my shotgun two weeks ago and had to beg for a bandaid (usually keep them on the cart, but had swapped carts around).  Wife said we need to get the liquid bandaid.  Splatter not a big thing. 

BS

My heart goes out to all those Pards that have this issue :rolleyes: and sorry to hear that Colorado Coffinmaker is now on that list.

Keep safe ... all of you.

My father died thanks to blood thinners. He went out for a walk, tripped and hit his head on the way down. Didn't think anything of it at first, but then later in the day his body started going numb and he felt sick. Minutes later he lost consciousness and never came out of it. Turned out he ruptured a blood vessel in his brain from the impact and died from the hemorrhaging the next day.

What gets me is that he cut himself days earlier and had trouble stopping the bleeding, and I joked at the time that he needed to wrap himself in bubble wrap. Maybe he should've taken me seriously. If you're on the stuff wear a bicycle helmet wherever you go.

Have also a concern about excess bruising from the 12Ga.  Been on Aspirin for years.  Back of my hands look like old leather.  Bruises really easy and I usually don't know what did it.

I've been taking Plavix for years.  I haven't had any side effects other bleeding and bruising as others have said.  Gave up on band-aides I leak too much and then they just fall off.  I keep non-stick pads, a roll of that spongy sticky tape and some neosporin near by.  Another thing to remember is to let your dentist and any other doctors what your on.  Some dentists are cautious with what work they'll do while your on the thinner. 

I'm told that there are a few significant differences between the old standby Coumadin (warfarin) and the non-Coumadin thinners like Xarelto and Eliquis: 

- The Vitamin K issue.  Foods with Vitamin K will affect Coumadin, but not so much Xarelto and Eliquis.  It's managable with Coumadin, but can be a nuisance.

- Monitoring:  Coumadin patients have to be monitored with regular blood draws.  Not so with Xarelto and Eliquis... but regular checks of kidney function is important.

- In the event of a major injury, the Coumadin can be easily neutralized.  

- Cost.  This may not be of much concern to some, but Coumadin is literally about 1/30th the cost of the other two.

Here's an interesting comparison of Coumadin to Eliquis:

https://www.singlecare.com/blog/eliquis-vs-warfarin/

Summary

Eliquis and warfarin [Coumadin] are two anticoagulant medications that work in different ways. Eliquis acts as a factor Xa inhibitor while warfarin is a vitamin K antagonist. Although they differ in mechanisms of action, they essentially produce the same effect of reduced blood clots.

Both Eliquis and warfarin have similar indications to treat and prevent thrombosis (DVTs and PEs). While Eliquis can prevent complications from nonvalvular atrial fibrillation, warfarin can both treat and prevent complications from atrial fibrillation and/or cardiac valve replacement. Warfarin is also FDA approved to prevent cardiovascular death, stroke, and heart attack in those who have already experienced a heart attack.

Eliquis may be preferred for someone who does not want to be routinely monitored for INR labs. According to the ARISTOTLE trial, Eliquis has also been shown to have a greater reduction in stroke risk, less risk of major bleeding, and reduced overall mortality when compared to warfarin. One downside to Eliquis is the higher price due to the current lack of a generic formulation available on the market.

Among other meds, I take Warfarin. I have an INR monthly. I have no problems and I shoot ten gauges, .45 Colts, and BPCR with a .50-140 Sharps.

Don't be concerned. Just take normal precautions and don't break horses!  :rolleyes:

The alternative is more heart trouble so that and the other 8 meds are just fine with me!!!  ;)

Most of us in the El Rey category are on something!!!   :D

4 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Among other meds, I take Warfarin. I have an INR monthly. I have no problems and I shoot ten gauges, .45 Colts, and BPCR with a .50-140 Sharps.

Don't be concerned. Just take normal precautions and don't break horses!  :rolleyes:

The alternative is more heart trouble so that and the other 8 meds are just fine with me!!!  ;)

Most of us in the El Rey category are on something!!!   :D

Same here as Mud Marine.  You just have to be careful with normal daily chores.  My 12 ga. SxS never even leaves a bruise so long as the butt goes in the right spot.  You'll do fine, CC.  Don't sweat it.

I get the same bruising as you do on the back of my hands and on my forearms, so we're in the same boat.  No big deal.

Get yourself a 2-tube-pak of cyanoacrylic glue (super-glue) and carry that to seal wounds once you stop or slow the bleeding (toss a tube once you open it).  Use it carefully and liberally, but ONLY get it on/in the wound, then squeeze the wound closed till the glue sets.  This is often done in combat situations, it’s not new.

Go to the pet store or feed store and get the wound-bleed-stop powder there.  Cheaper, larger package, same stuff.....I think the ingredient is alum.  Keep some good adhesive bandages, big and small, on hand, too, along with cotton makeup pads, alcohol and hydrogen peroxide....before you need them.  Go to ER for injuries you cannot control; there won’t likely be many, or any of those.  It may take longer to heal.  After a reasonable time, if it hasn’t healed, see your doctor or go to the ER.

WATCH OUT for blood clots in your lungs and extremities!!  You should go your doctor for any odd, unexplained bruising and/or pain.

Shooting your shotgun from the shoulder will likely leave you with significant bruising.

You may wish to shorten your shotgun buttstock and learn to shoot it by holding the stock under your arm.

Cat Brules

1 hour ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

You might wish to consider putting this in your personal first aid kit in your gun cart.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/woundseal-powder-to-stop-bleeding/ID=prod6099456-product

A good suggestion for stashing in your car, too.  

I've been on blood thinners for a long but then time closing in on ten years (long time to me) I don't bruise very easy I never did.  I don't bleed very much at all but I never did.  The only thing I noticed is that I don't heal as quick as I did once.  So I guess there is a large variance in a persons reaction to the medication.  Blood thinners are not fun but then being dead isn't either.

I had been on Plavix and 81 mg aspirin long term (10+ yrs). My Cardiologist recently took me off the Plavix and I continue with the 81mg aspirin. His instructions are, "What ever you do, DO NOT stop the aspirin". I've even refused to stop the aspirin for minor surgeries like skin scraping to remove Basil Cell. The Dermatologist doesn't like that but puts up with it after talking to my Cardiologist. 

I do bleed a little more than as a yout, however, it is not a major problem. So advice to carry emergency items is good but it may not be as severe as other people experience.

As to bruising, I do get more than earlier, especially on my left arm. Why the left? Who knows.

I started wearing Roping Cuffs to shoots. That has helped a lot with the bruising from shooting. I probably should wear them all the time as my left arm looks bad enough so that people will ask if I am alright.

If I wore the cuffs all the time they may not ask, but still wonder.

I was on Coumadin from 1984 until 2004 when they switched me to Warfarin. (Pretty much identical.)  I've been on the Warfarin ever since and I'm checked every six weeks or so to adjust the dosage.

I bruise easily now but have no other issues......and the bruising isn't usually severe enough to concern me.  It's generally on my hands and fore arms when I have been working in my shop.  Like my scarring, my bruising never lasts as long as most folks:  bruising about a week to ten days, bruising six to seven years, a couple for more like fifteen years.  I had a single tattoo that vanished after twenty years, too.

More concerned about low BP.  (I can eat salt on everything  in small doses without driving my BP off the scale.)

My wife has been on blood thinners for about 11 years. Here is what I have learned.

Some people do good on Warfarin and some don't. Even watching her diet the wife had issues with Warfarin. Nice thing about Warfarin is that the quick acting counter agent is injectable.

Next we went to Xarelto. It is a "factor Xa inhibitor" class of drug as is Eliquis. She did well on it until we discovered that there was no counter agent for it. As of mid 2018 a counter agent for factor Xa inhibitor drugs was made available. It goes by the name of Andexxa. Its approval process was fast tracked with final approval pending more wide spread use. Don't know its current approval status but as of right now it is available.

Because at the time there was no counter agent for Xarelto we moved over to Pradaxa. It has a quick acting injectable counter agent (Praabind) that can be administered in life threatening cases. The wife has done well on it and for minor procedures she stops taking it 3 days before the procedure with her cardiologists approval.

The amount of bleeding and bruising will vary from person to person but I don't know of anyone that has had to quit shooting because they are taking blood thinners. You do however have to be more aware of injuries you receive. You will bruise easier and they will take longer to heal. Minor cuts bleed more but they are more of a nuisance than a real concern. as others have stated a good supply of band aids is a must have. Make yourself a little kit with the stop stick, assorted band aids and other first aid items. DO NOT LEAVE IT IN YOUR CAR. Extreme hot and cold will drastically shorten the life of everything in it. Get in the habit of taking it with you when you leave the house and bring it in when you get home. There is nothing worse than a band aid that will not stick because it has been sitting in a hot car for months. Buy good quality cloth bandaids and not the plastic ones.

Be mindful of when you bang into things. Keep an eye on the area for signs of bleeding. If you think you are bleeding internally call 911 and get help. If you hit your head hard enough to cause the area to bleed or bruise immediately call 911. It may save your life. Internal crainial bleeding is not something to mess around with. My wife's ex died from hitting his head due to a fall in his bathroom. Get a medical alert bracelet with the name of your blood thinner imprinted on it.

Now for the good news. Given that we shoot light loads in our shotgun a quality recoil pad is all you need to keep shooting. If you cut yourself, have some alcohol and wipes ready to remove any blood you get on your firearms after you have taken care of yourself. Blood will damage the finish on most metals.

Most important of all is to take it slow and see how your body reacts to blood thinners. Shoot several shotgun rounds for practice then go home and see how your body reacts. bet you find you have no issues. If you do talk to your doctor he/she may be able to adjust the dosage. 

BTW one of my wife's doctors is an avid trap and skeet shooter.

In 2015 I had blood clots in my leg after breaking a knee cap, and they caused pulmonary embolisms in my lungs.  I also have atrial fibrillation.  My doctor started me on warfarin because it is quickly reversible.  She does not favor the newer anticoagulants, bless her.   I decided we were going to adapt the dosage to my lifestyle and diet rather than the other way around.  I have my blood tested every 4 weeks.  I eat and drink whatever I want.  My warfarin dosage has not varied in 5 years .   I bruise more easily, but I still shave with a blade.   I have peace of mind, and am grateful.

As you can see, many of us are on thinners & NSAIDs.  I always carry wound seal, styptic pens, bandaids, and the makings of a pressure bandage for those who  bleed  on my watch.  Cyanoacrylates do work but they sting like a booger.

I took Coumadin for a few months during 2 shoulder surgeries. My blood was like red wine. Blood thinners also can make your skin thin. It did for me. I cut my big toe one night by barely bumping the island in the kitchen. I was at the counter making a salad when my wife comes around the corner and nearly flipped out. There was a huge puddle of wine on the floor. She wanted to know when I opened wine. It wasn’t wine. I was bleeding like crazy. She rushed me to the ER. 
I nicked my ear at the shooting range. Bled like crazy from a 1/8” long cut. 

So, easy bruising, easy to burst blood vessels, blood thinner than wine and thin skin. You just have to be careful. Wear gloves when working on things. No open toed sandals or flip flops. 

16 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I took Coumadin for a few months during 2 shoulder surgeries. My blood was like red wine. Blood thinners also can make your skin thin. It did for me. I cut my big toe one night by barely bumping the island in the kitchen. I was at the counter making a salad when my wife comes around the corner and nearly flipped out. There was a huge puddle of wine on the floor. She wanted to know when I opened wine. It wasn’t wine. I was bleeding like crazy. She rushed me to the ER. 
I nicked my ear at the shooting range. Bled like crazy from a 1/8” long cut. 

So, easy bruising, easy to burst blood vessels, blood thinner than wine and thin skin. You just have to be careful. Wear gloves when working on things. No open toed sandals or flip flops. 

Sounds like your dosage was way too high.

Howdy CC.

Yes.   I take a couple different types, plus the baby aspirin every day.

I can bleed from a cut as good as a hot blooded southern pig in July  from the Louisiana bayou.

I been on them for over 10 years cause I got serious problems with clogged arteries, angina, etc...

I got 5 heart stents and 2 next stents.   PLUS, the Doc has been watching my heart for 3 years

because I need a valve replacement.

Anyhow, we each have our particulars when it comes to the effects of medicines.

Follow your doctors advice and as mentioned above, its a good idea to keep some

good wraps/bandages, etc..... around.

I got injured during a match a few years back (punctured my finger).

Thank goodness Fast Harley and Last Kiss had some Super Glue in their cart.

One side effect that I have experienced is my INTOLERANCE to cold weather.

Even at 50 degrees and cloudy, I feel cold.  50 and sunny with no wind can be 

o.k., but anything less than that is not for me.

..........Widder

Hey Widder,

Yepper.  I have the same results "just" from the Baby Aspirin.  Bruising from just about anything.  COLD sensitive.  Likewise, anything under 50 Degrees and I don't wanna play.  I just cannot tolerate Cold anymore.  Getting old ain't fer sissies.  So, why do I still live in Pennsylvania??  'Cause I can't afford to move to Florida (sob sniffle sniffle).  

Does somehow seem the risks associated with the anticoagulants is actually higher than the risk of stroke from AFib.  Makes a person wonder.  A Lot.

31 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Does somehow seem the risks associated with the anticoagulants is actually higher than the risk of stroke from AFib.  Makes a person wonder.  A Lot.

Blood pressure is a huge factor in relative risk.  Not prying for information, just saying as long as my blood pressure is reasonably under control, I'm happy to accept the risks associated with anticoagulants.  My father had a stroke and lingered a long time.  Not for me.

Remember now, aspirin doesn't actually "thin" blood.  It makes it more "slippery."  Sorta.

Well, it doesn't actually make the blood slippery like motor oil.... Blood clots require platelets and blood proteins to form. Too many platelets and clotting is more likely; fewer platelets and clots don't form so easily.  Aspirin inhibits whatever activates the platelets.  I think of it as being like running an engine with detergent vs non-detergent oil....  :rolleyes:

Oh - back to the "thinners" for a moment:  One sorta minor thing that I don't think has been mentioned yet is that Coumadin (warfarin) can also cause your hair to thin.  Won't make you as bald as this guy ===> :huh:, but don't be surprised to find your comb being fuzzy.  So who cares, as long as it keeps ya steamin' along!  ^_^

8 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Hey Widder,

Yepper.  I have the same results "just" from the Baby Aspirin.  Bruising from just about anything.  COLD sensitive.  Likewise, anything under 50 Degrees and I don't wanna play.  I just cannot tolerate Cold anymore.  Getting old ain't fer sissies.  So, why do I still live in Pennsylvania??  'Cause I can't afford to move to Florida (sob sniffle sniffle).  

7 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Blood pressure is a huge factor in relative risk.  Not prying for information, just saying as long as my blood pressure is reasonably under control, I'm happy to accept the risks associated with anticoagulants.  My father had a stroke and lingered a long time.  Not for me.

I feel the same as J Bar on this subject.

When I cut myself, I know it and can normally take steps to minimize the results.

About 15-20 years ago, I had what the docs referred to as a 'mini-stroke'.   I immediately forgot everyones

name and temporarily lost a lot of my pheriphial vision.  I had NO control over that and still suffer

a lack of name recognition.

I'll stick with my blood thinners and sensitivity to cold temps.....and keep wearing a couple

t-shirts, sweat shirt, flannel shirt, etc..... during the colder temps.

You're not alone.   Many of us have to deal with the same stuff every day.

Its just easier to deal with it in the South..... :D

..........Widder

I’m sure most of you must know this, but if you are taking blood thinners, do not take ANY aspirin until you get approval to take it from your doctor, and/or any specialist you are seeing.  Aspirin can make a big impact on your body’s ability to clot blood, and can make it very difficult to stop bleeding for those who take blood thinners.

WOUND HEALING

Something else!  Wounds can take A LONG TIME to heal.  Sometimes dangerously long, if you are on blood thinners.  My mother-in-law struck her shin on the edge of the car door over four months ago.  My wife was able to stop the bleeding, however the wound simply would not heal.  I thought my MIL was going to develop gangrene.  Among other things, we finally got a wound specialist nurse assigned to come to the home every two days to care for the wound.  My MIL was on antibiotics and the nurse had to scrape the wound twice a week.  The wound is now finally on the mend, but still very slowly healing.

Anyway, be careful.

Cat Brules

In March of 2016 I had triple bypass surgery.  Two days after discharge I went to the ER due to a breathing issue.  I could only take very shallow breaths wo/coughing.  A CT showed PE's in my right lung.  I was in the hospital for 15* days until a therapeutic dose of warfarin was determined.  I was on it for 6 mo's.  I didn't ride my horse or climb ladders when on warfarin.  Also, I wore mechanics gloves when using tools.

*I wear 24/7/365 a medicalert bracelet indicating I am allergic to heparin which is the IV blood thinner of choice.  I developed the allergy between the bypass surgery & the ER visit.

P.S.  I bruised easily.  Many I couldn't trace to a noticeable impact.

Wow! Glad to know that y'all are doing well!

I got a MCOT Patch on Monday. Does anyone have experience with one?

I'm not having a good experience. First, I was woke up at 2:30 a.m. Monday  by beeping. The Monitoring company had a problem and I couldn't hook up.  So my Cardiologist's tech had me hook up anyway and I had a beeping/green light flashing for hours, which ran down the sensor battery.

I haven't had a decent sleep since I got it.

Archived