SASS Wire Forum

Thanks for the advice

Ruff Kut

All I have ever shot is black powder.  And for years I have thought my Lee crimp die was doing a decent job on 44-40 rounds.  There are too many of you to list or thank by name, but every time 44-40 comes up someone says to get the Redding Profile Crimp Die.  I finally did.  What a difference! And so to all of you who have given that advice over the years, it has taken me a while to come around, but thank you all!

Since I seem to always shoot agin ya at some state matches let me offer one more piece of advice.  Make darn sure to shoot them cartridges in the trusty old reliable .45 colt rifles and pistols. ;)

Kajun

On 2/10/2020 at 8:29 PM, John Boy said:

Ruff, what makes Redding better than the Lee ?

John Boy,

It is honestly the difference between an amateur reload and a factory round.  At least in my humble reloading it is.  The Lee does a good job, but the Redding does a great one.  As an example, I struggle with the Lee on the Dillon tool head.  I have to max that Lee die out for all it is worth to get it down low enough to put a smooth roll crimp on the round.  The Redding die is physically longer and allows much more room to dial it in the exact way I want it.   I think that alone, the additional length and adjustability justifies going with the Redding.  But the big thing is really the simple appearance and feel of the finished round.  There is no heavy obvious roll crimp.  There is no edge left that I can scrape a nail on.  As the name implies, it makes a round where the "profile" simply flows perfectly smooth from the bottleneck of the case into the bullet.  I might not be able to explain the difference well, but if I hand you two rounds, one loaded with the Lee crimp and one with the Redding?  You can see and feel the difference.

John Boy, could you post your findings?  I would  like to know the difference.  I would greatly appreciate it.   I tried sending a message, but was told you were unable to receive messages.

Thanks

I have been using the Redding Profile die for years on my 38's.  Wouldn't think of going back to anything else.  I don't trim my brass and it handles the small variations in case lengths well. And they allways fit the test gauge.

On 2/18/2020 at 11:28 PM, Bramble Mountain Buzzard said:

Hey Ruff Kut, Are you going to come up and visit us this year?

Building a new house has put a serious crimp in my travel plans and shooting.  I won't be making it this year.  And to be totally honest I will not be returning to that particular match again.  I will leave out names and locations, and just say the match where I saw you the most up north.  It was made very clear to me that my Thai wife, as a Buddhist was not welcome at the match.  The man who ran the show was quite clear it was for Christians only.  Besides the fact that where she is not welcome I won't go, I am also kind of a big fan of ALL of our freedoms, not just the second amendment.  Call me crazy, but I still support freedom of religion.

6 hours ago, Ruff Kut said:

Building a new house has put a serious crimp in my travel plans and shooting.  I won't be making it this year.  And to be totally honest I will not be returning to that particular match again.  I will leave out names and locations, and just say the match where I saw you the most up north.  It was made very clear to me that my Thai wife, as a Buddhist was not welcome at the match.  The man who ran the show was quite clear it was for Christians only.  Besides the fact that where she is not welcome I won't go, I am also kind of a big fan of ALL of our freedoms, not just the second amendment.  Call me crazy, but I still support freedom of religion.

Expletives deleted. I hope to meet Mrs. RK and give her a big ol' hug!

8 hours ago, Ruff Kut said:

That kind of crap ain't 'rite'. :angry:

I would be honored to meet your wife :excl:

Respectfully, 

OLG 

Archived