SASS Wire Forum

WTC

Snakebite

Just a query about a fictitious situation.

1. Shooter moves to ULT, clears both Long Guns, clears first pistol, proceeds to holster but misses and it falls to the ground. Shooter continues and clears second Pistol then holsters it. Picks up dropped pistol and holsters it. 

What's the call?

2. Shooter moves to ULT, clears both Long Guns, Clears First pistol and holsters it. Clears second Pistol and proceeds to holster but misses and it falls to the ground. Shooter picks it up and Holsters it. What's the call? 

In both situations,  the ULT Officer acknowledged that each gun had been cleared. 

From SHB

PG 23.  SDQ..."Any dropped unloaded firearm on the firing line."

PG45. Definitions "Firing line – from first firearm placed on the loading table until all firearms are confirmed
as cleared at the unloading table."

Example 1 = SDQ

Example 2 = No Call

3 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

I don't like enforcing some rules, but you need to make the call if it is required. The first thing that should be done is to try and find a legal way out of the situation for the shooter. If that is not possible, then hammer their @$$ right into the ground! :ph34r: Then call their Moma a name.

LOL!  I may not like em, but I'm going to enforce them if I have the timer in my hand.  Having said that, I totally agree that the TO should try to find a legal way out for the shooter, failing that, they have to take the penalty.

I recall when I started CAS, an individual advised me to first put all four of my guns down onto the ULT, with actions and loading gates fully open, and not try to reholster or remove any gun until all guns have been acknowledged as cleared.   I never really understood the detail of why---until now.  

2 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Where does it say the ULT officer has more authority to pick up my gun than I do? He had already called it clear so he has no more responsibility for it.

Right in the shooters handbook. It doesn't matter whether I or you or anyone else agrees with the rules, they are there to be enforced.

SHB, page 18

o A shooter should not be allowed to pick up a dropped firearm. The CRO/TO

should recover the firearm, examine it, clear it (if necessary), return it to

the shooter, and assess the appropriate penalty.

2 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Yes. If I drop one of my cleared colts, I am picking it up. I don't want folks handling my guns as it is, especially if they aren't as familiar with them as I am (Ruger shooters). I drop it, I pick it up, then I go sit in my Jeep and cry over the new scratch on the otherwise perfect finish.

You might as well start the engine and go home. If you don't want anyone handling your firearms don't bring them to a match. As stated, the rules say any dropped gun will picked up and cleared by the match official. Don't like it? Leave your "precious" at home.

The rule USED TO state "A shooter is forbidden from picking up a dropped firearm" (SHB 2017)...that was changed to "should not"(SHB 2019) to avoid penalizing a shooter who reflexively picked up his/her own dropped firearm.

...that, and there was no penalty assigned for doing so under the previous version.

15 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

PW and the call is?

SDQ and no call?

YES...see Ramrod's post quoting the applicable rule & definition:

From SHB

PG 23.  SDQ..."Any dropped unloaded firearm on the firing line."

PG45. Definitions "Firing line – from first firearm placed on the loading table until all firearms are confirmed
as cleared at the unloading table."

Example 1 = SDQ

Example 2 = No Call

(emphasis added)

Archived