SASS Wire Forum

Need Help For Continued Marital Bliss

Yul Lose

Mrs. Lose likes soup and she has come up with a cauliflower soup recipe that she thinks is divine, me, on the other hand has trouble choking it down. Yesterday, after a great match up at the new Cajon range I pulled into the garage and opened my door and the wafting odor of a new pot of cauliflower soup just about made me turn around and leave. I thought we had finished up the last of it on Thursday for lunch but boy was I mistaken, she cooked up a pot of it yesterday that you could swim in. Anyway, as I’m sitting here staring at a big bowl of soup,  I’m trying to figure out how I can break the news to her that I’m sick of cauliflower soup. Any suggestions? Have your mates ever insisted on fixing stuff that you really don’t like but don’t have the cajones to tell them that you don’t want to see it again? Nowadays she fixes it about two or three times a month. Help!!!

Just be honest and tell her cauliflower soup ain’t your cup of tea on a regular basis. Then sleep in your work shop for a night or two

You, sir, are DOOMED! You might try mentioning that you are done with it, maybe as you are headed out the door anyway

2 minutes ago, Too Tall Bob said:

Just be honest and tell her cauliflower soup ain’t your cup of tea on a regular basis. Then sleep in your work shop for a night or two

Yeah I’ve hinted that I’m not a big fan but she dumps more stuff in it thinking it will make me like it more.

Tell her it reminds you of a girl you dated. Her mom fixed it all the time. Thank her for the memories. After your burns from the hot soup heal, you'll never have to eat it again.

I’ve thought of flushing it down the toilet while she’s gone to work in the morning but she’s very astute and will wonder where all of the soup went aaaannnnnndddd then she’ll think I like it so much that I’m eating it all for breakfast and then she’ll cook more of it.

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Let's go back to the basics. 

Do you like cauliflower?  If the answer is anything weaker than "Yes, I like Italy lot" you won't care for it as soup. 

I’m liking cauliflower less and less now days.

Go to a local emporium that makes something you like to eat, and lay in a supply.  

Tell your beloved spouse that you know how much she likes her soup, you prefer something a little different and have bought your own meal so that she is not deprived of the soup she loves.

It might work.

Good Luck

(you'll need it) 

Duffield

I have the opposite problem... my wife makes a killer pot of vegetable beef soup....but I can never get her to make it....too much work she says.  It’s one of the few leftovers I eat....and I’ll eat it all.

so by this logic, tell her how much you love it and for her to keep making it.....should stop in no time :)

3 minutes ago, JD Lud said:

I have the opposite problem... my wife makes a killer pot of vegetable beef soup....but I can never get her to make it....too much work she says.  It’s one of the few leftovers I eat....and I’ll eat it all.

so by this logic, tell her how much you love it and for her to keep making it.....should stop in no time :)

Man, I’d probably be drowning in it if I said that.

My bride tells me if I don't like something tell her and she won't prepare it again. She freezes single serving portions, probably enough for two, but I'm a high performance machine and have to eat a lot. I just dig what I want out of the freezer. She canned some elk stew and it was rather tasty. This way she only has to cook a couple times per week and I have my choice of what I want. Yul, that soup doesn't sound bad. I'd just tell Mrs. Yul that It's good and you appreciate the soup. However, it's getting old having the same thing over and over like groundhog day. Hey darlin', how about we burn up a couple steaks on the grill tonight.

Now, I'm not sure how the mechanics of this would work, but if you could find something to secretly eat that would give you TERRIBLE gas, seemingly caused by the cauliflower soup.....  :rolleyes:

I would just tell her you don’t like it. If she makes it again just go get something different but leave the bowl she makes you right where she sets it. If she likes it so much she should appreciate the gesture of you not dumping it in the trash. 

I will be married 40 years in 2 months. I am not talking out of inexperience with a hard headed stubborn woman. 

Honesty is the best policy even if it stings. 

1 minute ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Now, I'm not sure how the mechanics of this would work, but if you could find something to secretly eat that would give you TERRIBLE gas, seemingly caused by the cauliflower soup.....  :rolleyes:

Ooooh...you devious man. A genius of a  devious man. B)

You, Sir, are a man among men. I salute you! :D

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Ooooh...you devious man. A genius of a  devious man. B)

You, Sir, are a man among men. I salute you! :D

It worked for my Uncle Ralph.  'Specially when he'd pull the covers over Aunt Sharon's head... it'd wake her right up!    :rolleyes:   ^_^

57 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Yeah I’ve hinted that I’m not a big fan but she dumps more stuff in it thinking it will make me like it more.

Add bacon, lots of bacon.......

47 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I’m liking cauliflower less and less now days.

That kind of tells me that you have never been a big fan of it.  "It's OK , I'll eat it if it's served but I'd never ask for it. "  kind of thing.   Which means you will likely never care for the soup.

My wife makes it about once a week.  I usually really,  really like it.   Been a few times that we have both said,  "Well,  it's OK." But we expect more than "just ok."  So we doctor it.

Friday she made a big pot of it.  I  had 3 bowls of it that night.   Reminded me of a good chowder base.  i was going to add some bacon and corn to it to turn it into corn chowder for tonight but it was all gone.

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That kind of tells me that you have never been a big fan of it.  "It's OK , I'll eat it if it's served but I'd never ask for it. "  kind of thing.   Which means you will likely never care for it. 

My wife makes it about once a week.  I usually really,  really like it.   Been a few times that we have both said,  "Well,  it's OK." But we expect more than "just ok."  So we doctor it.

Friday she made a big pot of it.  I  had 3 bowls of it that night.   Reminded me of a good chowder base.  i was going to add some bacon and corn to it to turn it into corn chowder for tonight but it was all gone.

She’s got this thing about cauliflower and a few years ago instead of making mashed potatoes we had mashed cauliflower, not to bad the first time or two but God made potato’s for a reason because they are better mashed than cauliflower is. Well she quit mashing  cauliflower and now she cooks it with chicken stock until it’s a near liquid and calls it soup. She put some beef in it a couple of times ago and it was a lot better. This time it was just cauliflower and veggies. 

1 hour ago, Too Tall Bob said:

When we were first married my wife made macaroni and cheese.  I ate it and she asked if I wanted more.  I told her I didn't.  She asked if I liked it.  I told her I didn't.  She said I could have at least said I did.  I explained that if I told her I did she'd make it again.

It was never again served when I was at home.

We were married 50 more years.

You - Sir - are a remarkable wood craftsman. Make a cauliflower coffin and while she watches you, bury it in your back yard. She would get the hint. 

38 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

She’s got this thing about cauliflower and a few years ago instead of making mashed potatoes we had mashed cauliflower, not to bad the first time or two but God made potato’s for a reason because they are better mashed than cauliflower is. Well she quit mashing  cauliflower and now she cooks it with chicken stock until it’s a near liquid and calls it soup. She put some beef in it a couple of times ago and it was a lot better. This time it was just cauliflower and veggies. 

That's not "soup" that is "overcooked, under-seasoned cauliflower."  At the very least start with sauteed onions and garlic.
Here is what Lisa wrote down last July when I asked her how she made it.  It changes a bit every time.  Maybe more onion,  or some garlic, maybe some carrots, or garbanzos rather than white beans, different herbs added.

Lisa’s Cauliflower Soup

The cook times are approximate. I really just did things until they looked/smelled/tasted right.

Ingredients

1 Small Head Cauliflower

1 Medium White Onion

2 Stalks Celery

2 T Butter or Vegetable Oil

3 cups Chicken (or Vegetable) Stock

12 grinds black pepper

1 15oz can white beans, drained & rinsed

Directions

Process Cauliflower, Onion, and Celery until cut into fine pieces. Sauté in butter or oil until softened then add the stock and black pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes then add the beans. Continue cooking at a simmer for 10 minutes then use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Serve hot or cold.

my note on it:

If you didn’t know, you would swear that this is a very good Potato & Leek Soup.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Honesty is the best policy even if it stings. 

Maybe not always. IMHO, any relationship has to be based on trust. If you're completely honest 98% of the time, you can get away with just about anything the other 2% of it. 

I would suggest that she put her culinary expertise and learn to fix another delicacy...... 

Cabbage soup.   And be sure to have some good sausages in it.

..........Widder

If you'd like a good soup that's requires a bit of time and work (but not TOO much!), may I recommend Pumpkin?  :)

Might sound odd, but it's VERY good - nothing at all like you might expect; not a hint of "pumpkin pie" flavor.  I make it for Thanksgiving, and have to limit everyone to a small serving - I've seen folk fill up on it before the turkey hits the table!  ^_^

Oh - this recipe is for a fairly large batch.  It could be halved for two, but hey, leftovers are good!  :blush:

pumpkin.gif   PUMPKIN SOUP  pumpkin.gif

6 cups chicken stock

1 1/2 teaspoons salt  (I sometimes forget the salt… )

4 cups pumpkin puree (Cooked pumpkin. Baked, steamed, nuked, or out of a can ~ it’s all good!)

1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley

1 cup chopped onion

1 chopped shallot

1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

1+ clove garlic, minced  (I think I used about the equivalent of 2 and a bit more…)

5 whole black peppercorns

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream  (Add this last - and Oops! I used a bit over a cup – Darn! And Yum!!)

Directions

Heat stock, salt, pumpkin, onion, shallot, thyme, garlic, and peppercorns. Oh heck… put it all in the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes uncovered.

Puree the soup in small batches (1 cup at a time) using a food processor or blender. Or do like I did and do it all in the pot using an immersion blender – MUCH easier!!

Bring to a boil again. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for another 30 minutes, uncovered. Stir in heavy cream. Pour into soup bowls and garnish with fresh parsley. (I sometimes don’t bother with the foliage)

“Honey, the doctor says this rash...”

”What rash?”

”This rash, it’s hard to see but it’s there and it itches...anyway, the doctor says I am probably allergic to cauliflower.” :rolleyes:

My Dad would 99.9% of the time eat what was placed in front of him without comment. On the 0.1% when it was REALLY something he didn't like, the harshest thing I ever heard him say was "I wouldn't mind not having that again."  

Alas, having been married and divorced 3 times, I would hesitate to venture an opinion on a such a topic as maintaining marital bliss. Now my parents having been blissfully married for the length of their lives had it worked out. Mom would fix something new and dad would eat it. She would then ask him if he liked it and if he said yes she would fix it again, if he said it was okay then she would never fix it again. If mom disapproved of something she would say, well that's interesting. 

Now I tried to communicate that way too, but it never worked for me. If I said it was okay then I'd get it again and again til I finally said, I don't like that. 

So the only solution I can see is to keep a stash of boiled eggs, beer, brocolli, and baked beans on hand and then secretly wolf some down everytime she serves califlower soup. Within a short time you will be producing more gas with a higher octane content that the local filling station. 

Or you could take her somewhere nice and spend some money and time and love on her and then over a nice meal out that she likes whilst discussing the great food, mention that you are really burned out on cauliflower but love her - fill in the blank food or dish. But tell her that you love her and don't want to deprive her of her cauliflower so encourage her to continue to fix it to her hearts content for herself, just not for you. Tell her you'd be happy to just rustle up a sandwich or some canned soup for yourself. 

Course that didn't work for me either so......................

9 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Polish sausage and baked beans. Fry the PS thinly sliced in a frying pan put in the Campbells baked beans when the PS is done and let it heat up. Just don't get to close to any source of ignition for the next 24 hours.

:o:lol::lol:

kR

Archived