SASS Wire Forum

Wolff springs for Rugers?

Dantankerous

I have a couple Ruger SBHs that I'd like to swap out the factory hammer and trigger springs to make them a tad easier to manipulate.

My new SBH Bisley is really tight with a very heavy feeling hammer spring. Almost uncomfortable to shoot over extended periods simply because my thumb wears out cocking the durn thing.

Neither of these guns will be used in CAS, just range time and occasional carry when in the boonies.

Any suggestions on what Wolf spring poundage I might use in modifying these revolvers? No other work has been done to these. Ammo used will be varied factory or reloads using Federal primers.

Thanks for any helpful insight.

I run 19 pound Wolff springs in my Vaqueros. They work with all primers. I also swap out the trigger spring for a Wolff 40 ounce spring. It’s the same weight as factory but more consistent in trigger pulls over time. I tried a lighter trigger spring but found I would fire when preparing to fire, if you know what I mean. I went back to the 40 Oz spring and those little surprises diminished. 

Wolff Springs offers a pack of several springs  with a range of strengths, not very expensive and you can experiment to see which one you and your guns prefer.

Call Wolff and order directly from them.

Ask that the springs be pulled from the same lot run.

It does make a difference when you want 2 or more guns to feel the same.

I'm run'n 'tired' 19 lb hammer and 30 oz. trigger springs in my OMV .44's.

OLG 

1 hour ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

That is what I have but they will work in the Blackhawk as well

As long as it isn't the OMV version. 

Ruger made it very confusing with the NMV versions dealing with the lock and no lock models.<_<

OLG 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

FYI

I installed a 40/19 in my new SBH Bisley and what a difference that spring kit makes. Less effort to cock and just a nice, crisp trigger. 

I also installed a 30/17 in an older SBH and WOW! Took a decent target gun and made it sooooooo much nicer. Easier hammer pull and a lighter/crisper trigger pull. Should help.

Range time will be mucho bettero. (Neither of these are CAS guns.)

Not much money but money well spent on making a Ruger better.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

UPDATE

FYI

I installed a 40/19 in my new SBH Bisley and what a difference that spring kit makes. Less effort to cock and just a nice, crisp trigger. 

I also installed a 30/17 in an older SBH and WOW! Took a decent target gun and made it sooooooo much nicer. Easier hammer pull and a lighter/crisper trigger pull. Should help.

Range time will be mucho bettero. (Neither of these are CAS guns.)

Not much money but money well spent on making a Ruger better.

Go to a good bolt house and buy 2, #10AN washers,  just incase that 17lb spring needs some help.

PLZ keep us updated. 

OLG 

Archived