SASS Wire Forum

USFA Remingtons?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I remember, not too long before USFA committed suicide, they announced that they were going to be producing reproductions of the 58 and 75 Remington single action revolvers.   They were even going to be officially authorized by Remington.

Does anyone know if these actually made it to market, or did the plans for them die with the company?

I'd assume that if any of them did actually get made they would be as rare as hens teeth.

4 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I remember, not too long before USFA committed suicide...........

And they did it with a .22 ...... And a Really Ugly .22 at That!

20180505205416-6749.thumb.jpg.6071b60b323cbbf6ee6188612d2023e1.jpg

1 hour ago, LonesomePigeon said:

I think a company called Hartford Armory made some Remington cartridge revolvers.

Hartford Armory made Remington 1875 & 1890 revolvers in a number of calibers.  Quality was  very high and  prices reflected the quality and high production standards.      I was fortunate to know the owner and called him a friend, sadly he passed away.  I handled and fired some of the early production models.  I wish I had had the money to buy one back then, they really are beautiful guns and don't seem to make it to the used market very often, if at all.

Doc pulled the #1 1875 out of his safe and handed it to me ... Nothing but SWEET.  I forgot, it indexed like a Swiss watch, the bluing was gorgeous and the price I remember was about $1,200 

I had a pair of the Uberti 1875. I liked them but they kept breaking the hand springs. If there’s a gunsmith that can make them reliable let me know. I liked the feel of them. As old Boss said “I like a gun with some heft”. 

I think Lou Graham had a couple of those Hartford Remingtons when she came to a Texas BP shoot way back.  I handled one and agree, it was a wonderful piece.

10 hours ago, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

I had a pair of the Uberti 1875. I liked them but they kept breaking the hand springs. If there’s a gunsmith that can make them reliable let me know. I liked the feel of them. As old Boss said “I like a gun with some heft”. 

As far as I know, I'm the first to ever coil spring a Remington. With a coil action (trigger, bolt and hand), they're as reliable as a Ruger!

Mike

24 minutes ago, 45 Dragoon said:

As far as I know, I'm the first to ever coil spring a Remington. With a coil action (trigger, bolt and hand), they're as reliable as a Ruger!

Mike

Hey Mike:

Actually, Larsen Pettifogger built a short-barreled Remmie many years ago, and drilled the frame for a Ruger-type spring & plunger.

I bought it from him several years ago & still have it.

No more broken hand springs in this Remmie! & reliable as a Ruger!

He also put a bushing on the cylinder to fix the fouling problem.
--Dawg

pettifoggersremmie.jpg

Hey Dawg, I know what you're referring to and I knew of that "upgrade" but I also understand that that isn't allowed in SASS events (unless they've changed the rules).  My coil/torsion spring for the hand doesn't require any drilling of the frame. Along with that, a coil trigger and bolt spring finishes the action. So, not to take anything away from Mr. Pettifogger's articles, my action is fully coil sprung with no drilling. It's SASS legal and Skinny has the first pair I ever did for competition. The only flat spring is the mainspring. Add a bolt block and an action stop and you can't tear it up!! 

Mike

Archived