SASS Wire Forum

Thinking about trading a Marlin...thoughts appreciated.

smokedawg SASS#60968

I've got an older Marlin 1894 in .357/.38.  it is a pre Remington model.  I'm thinking about trading it off for something in .45 Colt.  A lever gun is my first choice.  What are the older ones worth now?  What kinda rifle should i be looking at?  I'm not really interested in a newer Rossi.  Nothing wrong with it but i really don't want to do another cartridge.  

Thanks.

First, condition is everything when it comes to establishing a fair-market value. Assuming it’s in 80%-90% NRA condition, it’s worth between $375 and $425 respectively, unless it’s a carbine manufactured between 1979 and 1984 without the manual hammer-block safety, according to Blue Book. However, the pre-Remington Marlins are experiencing higher than normal values in the open market. Pictures would certainly help in establishing fair-market value, as would the date of manufacture, but comparing what you have, against what has been recently sold online, would give you a better idea of its true FMV. Blue Book doesn’t reflect these aforementioned conditions. And value is both subjective to geography, and can only truly be measured by how much someone else is willing to pay. Advertised “Buy It Now” prices are often egregiously inflated. 

Archived