SASS Wire Forum

State and annual matches

Wild lead

No complaints just a question why are the majority of State and annual matches held on Friday Saturday versus Saturday Sunday.

Hi Wild Lead,

I think you might get more useful answers on the SASS Wire. Would you like for me to ask that the thread be moved?

I prefer annuals in the following format.

Wednesday or Thursday: Wild Bunch Match

Thursday: Side Matches, Mini Matches, and either/or both Couple's and/or Team shoot.

Friday and Saturday: Main Match

Sunday: Awards and Shoot Off

11 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hi Wild Lead,

I think you might get more useful answers on the SASS Wire. Would you like for me to ask that the thread be moved?

I prefer annuals in the following format.

Wednesday or Thursday: Wild Bunch Match

Thursday: Side Matches, Mini Matches, and either/or both Couple's and/or Team shoot.

Friday and Saturday: Main Match

Sunday: Awards and Shoot Off

Wasn't sure where to post question feel free to move it. Me personally I could attend a lot more on Saturday Sunday. Match directors know how to schedule to get their numbers and I'm fine with that thankful for the matches I get to attend

55 minutes ago, Wild lead said:

No complaints just a question why are the majority of State and annual matches held on Friday Saturday versus Saturday Sunday.

State matches (main match) are usually held on Friday/Saturday so that the banquet can be held on Saturday night and awards awarded. Many folks travel quite a few miles to attend the better matches. Most drive, some fly. Most folks have other lives than the fantasy life of Cowboy Action Shooting and have to return to reality (unfortunately) on Monday. It sucks but that's life sometimes.

Interesting thought but a Friday / Saturday match requires just as many day's off work as a Saturday / Sunday match for those that travel.

Travel Thursday, Shoot Friday and Saturday. Travel Sunday. Requires two days off work.

Travel Friday, Shoot Saturday and Sunday, Travel Monday. Still two days off work

A Friday Saturday match benefits those that can get to the match the same day or travel on Thursday after work. Not shooting on Sunday gives them a full day to recover get ready for work Monday.  

Not shooting on Sunday only benefits those that observe the sabbath on Sunday. What about those whose sabbath is another day like Saturday? 

As a greenhorn, this is good information.  I can say it is much easier for me to schedule a Thursday/Friday vacation day(s) then a Monday/Tuesday.  If I have to make a days trip to shoot a State or Annual match I would prefer to travel on Thursday and get home by Sunday.  Then, sadly go back to work on Monday.

I know when my son was growing up, I was reluctant to take him out of school for a Cowboy match.  I much preferred the main match on Saturday and Sunday.  Since he's all grown up now, its not an issue for me anymore.  

Well for me Sunday is for my church and my Lord, not for playing cowboy, when a match near me went to Sat./Sun from a Fri/Sat situation, I quit going, to each his own of course. Those are just my priorities.

BD

Here in Idaho, we observe the wishes of our LDS pards. Thus, no Sunday events.

States and Annuals draw about 90% in-staters (especially out here in the West), because the awards (especially for State) are slanted very heavily to benefit the in-state shooters.    Those are often close enough for most pards to drive Friday afternoon, shoot all day Sat and most of Sunday, and even drive back home that day.    Then folks working a 5-day week have to take little to no time off.  NM has been a Sat/Sun state match for YEARS.   AZ state (Bordertown) is always a Friday/Saturday (probably due to the large turnout and the lengthy awards ceremony on Sunday at midday).   So, it just varies depending upon what match directors believe will work best.

If you have a preference, GO TO THE MATCHES THAT SUIT YOUR PISTOL.  :lol:

Good luck,, GJ

On 2/9/2020 at 5:43 PM, Wild lead said:

Because the Hosts have learned those are the days the attendees prefer.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 3:23 PM, Wild lead said:

Wasn't sure where to post question feel free to move it. Me personally I could attend a lot more on Saturday Sunday. Match directors know how to schedule to get their numbers and I'm fine with that thankful for the matches I get to attend

I believe that all annual matches, state and above should have a questionnaire, developed by and required by SASS, in their shooter envelope. Following are questions that I think would be helpful.

1. Which match(es) did you attend (WBAS and/or SASS)?
  2.  Did you enjoy the side matches? If so, which were your favorites? ­
  3. Were there any problems with side matches? If so, what were the problems?
  4. Did you have a favorite scenario? If so, which one and why?
  5. Did you have a least favorite scenario? If so, which one and why?
  6. Were you pleased with your posse and/or posse leader? 
  7. Were the shuttles conveniently timed?
  8. Were the catered dinners a good value (assume a price of $25.00 each)?
  9. Were the outhouses conveniently located, clean, and sufficient?
  10. Would you prefer different match days? If yes, which days and why?
  11. Are there any other comments you want to make that would improve the match?

We hold ours on Friday (side matches), Saturday and Sunday (main match) over Memorial Day weekend.  With the exception on only a few shooters, everyone on the committee lives over 1/2 hour (and most ever farther) away.  Our range is in a very rural area.  Offering side matches on Friday gives everyone the option to work or take vacation day for the optional match.  With the main match on Saturday and Sunday, our guests still have the Monday holiday and our workers can stay later on Sunday for extra clean up and still have the Monday holiday.  Due to our distance handicap, we chose a holiday weekend.
It also seems to us that north of the Mason Dixon Line multi-day matches all are on Saturday/Sunday.  South of the line, many opt for the Friday/Saturday schedule.  I have seen more and more moving to the Saturday/Sunday schedule though.

Having main match shooting on Friday and Saturday, then the shoot-off and awards on Sunday allows the MD and company time to tear down, put things away, and not have to return on Monday to finish cleaning up. 

Archived