SASS Wire Forum

My "new" jogging stroller gun cart. More pics added.

My oldest granddaughter outgrew it and the youngest is too independent to ride in it so my daughter-in-law was going to throw it away. I took it home and stripped the baby stuff off of it and here it is. It's still a work in progress...

0209201152.jpg

i like it - i have a lot of the same features on my bag boy golf gun cart , also my stroller sporting clays cart , this should serve you well , i am not against the traditional carts by any means - just started in a different venue 

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

i like it - i have a lot of the same features on my bag boy golf gun cart , also my stroller sporting clays cart , this should serve you well , i am not against the traditional carts by any means - just started in a different venue 

I’m on my third wood cart and decided that it was time for something lighter and easier to move around. And I’m too cheap to buy a Rugged Gear cart...

On 2/9/2020 at 9:15 PM, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

I’m on my third wood cart and decided that it was time for something lighter and easier to move around. And I’m too cheap to buy a Rugged Gear cart...

Charlie, that looks plumb cool.  Do you have more pictures of the cart that you can share?

Where do the long guns butts rest?  And what did you use for the "upper" clamps...?

I'm too poor/cheap to pop for a Rugged Gear cart myownself, but I'm wanting one that I can strap to the Miata luggage rack!  :)

i agree about the "lighter" , as i get older i like the lighter all that much better , my sporting clays cart is a rugged gear but its one of the very old ones , stilll works just fine but carrys muzzle down , 

7 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Charlie, that looks plumb cool.  Do you have more pictures of the cart that you can share?

Where do the long guns butts rest?  And what did you use for the "upper" clamps...?

I'm too poor/cheap to pop for a Rugged Gear cart myownself, but I'm wanting one that I can strap to the Miata luggage rack!  :)

That's the only picture that I have. The guns sit between the two boxes. There's a slat behind the bigger box that keeps the box from sliding back and the guns from moving forward.  I used two different types of clamps to hold the guns: two Rhino Grip XLR and two that are slightly smaller from another company. Right now it's set up for four guns because I'm headed to Winter Range next week and I want to be able to carry my backups on the cart. It's too dang far to hike back to the pickup if I need to change guns. After Winter Range I'm probably going to take two of them off because the rest of the matches that I go to are a lot closer to where the guns will be stored. Somewhere down the road I think I'm going to go to a different sort of clamp that doesn't take up as much room so I can get four guns on the cart easier.

Maybe if I think about it tomorrow I'll get a few more pictures and post them up here. Maybe one with guns on the cart...

Thanks, Charlie!

I checked the local Goodwill today ~ no joy; same for Craigslist.  Tomorrow I'll check Goodwill and Salvation Army in Fresno...  :)

8 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Thanks, Charlie!

I checked the local Goodwill today ~ no joy; same for Craigslist.  Tomorrow I'll check Goodwill and Salvation Army in Fresno...  :)

Around here you will see them sitting on the side of the road next to the trash cans on trash day.  I have picked up 3 that way.  If you were closer I'd give you one.

5 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Around here you will see them sitting on the side of the road next to the trash cans on trash day.  I have picked up 3 that way.  If you were closer I'd give you one.

I appreciate the thought, Dave!  :)

I actually saw one abandoned beside the road in a vacant lot a few weeks ago ~ figgered I'd scoop it up on my return trip.  Alas, it was gone... someone else must've needed a new gun cart!  ^_^

0214201502a.thumb.jpg.678fd36bf2d6b6fd3ffed647c94e48d9.jpg

0214201501_HDR.jpg

Clamp system. I'm going to modify this some time this summer so that they take up less space. Not sure that I'm gonna do just yet. They are clamped to a piece of aluminum conduit bolted between the bars of the frame.

0214201501a~2.jpg

The smaller box has my screwdriver set, extra ear plugs, snacks, spare shooting glasses, etc. in it. You can't tell it here but it's sitting in a half box that slants down toward the axle and is screwed to the frame. and to the front deck piece.

0214201502.jpg

My umbrella holder. PVC pipe

0214201502a.jpg

0214201506~2.jpg

Kind of hard to tell, but the rifles are tucked in between the front of the small box and the slat at the back of the bigger box. Shotguns are set cross-wise in opposite directions.

0214201506a_HDR~2.jpg

0214201507.jpg

19 hours ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

Clamp system. I'm going to modify this some time this summer so that they take up less space. Not sure that I'm gonna do just yet. They are clamped to a piece of aluminum conduit bolted between the bars of the frame.

The smaller box has my screwdriver set, extra ear plugs, snacks, spare shooting glasses, etc. in it. You can't tell it here but it's sitting in a half box that slants down toward the axle and is screwed to the frame. and to the front deck piece.

My umbrella holder. PVC pipe

Kind of hard to tell, but the rifles are tucked in between the front of the small box and the slat at the back of the bigger box. Shotguns are set cross-wise in opposite directions.

0214201507.jpg

I'm liking that ~ it looks to be pretty robust!  

Thankee kindly for the follow-up, Charlie.  Lots of good ideas here!   ^_^

That stroller rig looks very nice.  Do you find it is a bit too light in the front?....or does it is solid all around?   I got an out-grown stroller, too, and was thinking about trying this.

Yours is very nice!

Cat Brules

3 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

That stroller rig looks very nice.  Do you find it is a bit too light in the front?....or does it is solid all around?   I got an out-grown stroller, too, and was thinking about trying this.

Yours is very nice!

Cat Brules

Thanks! So far there's been no issues with weight distribution. I thought that there might be, especially with four guns on board. I put all four guns in it on our front walk and there was no sign of tipping. I think that might be because the forward deck and main box sit pretty close to the front wheel, the guns sit pretty much mainly over the rear axle and the rear box slants down between the rear wheels.

Regarding the front wheel: originally the front wheel was set quite a bit further forward, I  cut the front wheel frame rails loose and cut them off at the back of the wheel mount then welded the wheel mount directly to the main frame. This shortened the frame length by about 4 inches and made the whole thing more compact.

All three tires were flat when I got it, so I Slimed them all and pumped them up. That was a month ago and they're still holding air so I guess that I got them sealed up. Something to remember if your base stroller has inflated/inflatable tires.

Charlie, 

As I said, your rig is nice.  Thanks for the additional information.  It gives me more things to consider is assembling a similar rig.  Pumping the tires up with “no-flat goo” and air is a great idea.  They’ll likely never go flat at that “worst possible time”.  It’s also good to hear that your cart is stable and solid with the modifications you made to it.  It helps to know that.    Best regards,

Cat Brules

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

How's it when you open the guns to place in your cart?

OLG 

Rifles do fine. Shotguns do okay.  Not great, but okay. Which is why I want to come up with a better way to hold them in.

3 hours ago, watab kid said:

looks like it should function well , be sure the brake functions , holds it on those inclines 

Brake works well. I don't think it's been used much :D 

Words of wisdom - Ditto on the brakes!

My first season shooting I made my cart out of a jogging stroller. I attended Guns of August one of my first larger matches. My cart was a work in progress and I hadn’t got to adding breaks yet.  I was excited to see what posse I would be on so I headed up to the top of the hill where the posse assignment we’re posted. I left the cart, went over found my posse and all of the sudden I hear the dreaded word STAMPEDE!  I turned around to see what the commotion was and there was my cart racing down the hill uncontrollably towards the town! Knowing I couldn’t catch it started my walk of shame down the hill. As it Reached max speed it slammed into the hotel inches from Deuce Stevens and his wife! The good things  were, it didn’t hit anyone, my guns stayed perfectly in place and I got to meet Deuce Stevens! I had dinner with Deuce and his wife that night at the banquet and had a good laugh, nice feller for not putting a bounty on my head LOL.

Archived