SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Feed Issue

Guest crorr91

Guest crorr91

Hey friends,

I have recently acquired a Uberti 1866. I got to put 30 rounds down range (just slow to see how it shoots and feels) today. I noticed that of those 30, 4 or 5 wouldn’t feed. The slug was pushed down into the neck of the cartridge. I was using Hornady Cowboy loads (only kind stocked in town). I believe that my magazine spring is too strong and is pushing the lead into the brass. The first 20 rounds I loaded all 10 at once and got those trouble rounds. After that, I loaded 5 at a time and those last 10 did not have any trouble. I will attach a photo. Is there a cure for this? Anyone else have a similar issue?

412F8632-113C-4C7B-8F36-DB98FE909116.jpeg

The crimps are probably bad.   You can take some coils off the magazine spring, but poorly crimped ammo will not work well in a lever action.  Unless it's some sort of super spring that someone put in there, the standard springs will not cause correctly crimped ammo to telescope the bullet into the case.  If you could load 10 in with normal effort, I wouldn't think the magazine spring is the problem.

Just now, Null N. Void said:

The crimps are probably bad.   You can take some coils off the magazine spring, but poorly crimped ammo will not work well in a lever action.  Unless it's some sort of super spring that someone put in there, the standard springs will not cause correctly crimped ammo to telescope the bullet into the case.  If you could load 10 in with normal effort, I wouldn't think the magazine spring is the problem.

This.  That ammo needs a better crimp.

Guest crorr91

Thanks fellers! I was worried I’d have to work on the gun. Since these were factory loads, I may send them an email and let Hornady know what’s going on. I plan to get a reloading setup shortly, but am collecting casings now. Is there a way an amateur like myself can visibly see a bad crimp before loading it?

What they said.  But the fact that it is factory ammo is surprising.  You certainly need to contact Hornady (I didn't even know they made cowboy ammo) and tell them.  Maybe they'll send you a free case of ammo. ;)  

Besides saving some to show them, if need be, it should shoot okay in revolvers, or have a friend who reloads run them through his crimp die.  Someone will  be along shortly to show you pictures of well-crimped ammo.

Probably too little crimp.

I have seen an occasional 20" rifle with a 24" rifle magazine spring in it.

Take out the magazine plug and see how far the spring sticks out, if it is more than 3" or so, you can cut it down to about that and it will work better.

The cartridges are not crimped properly.  Do the bullets have a crimp groove?  If so, a properly crimped round will have the case mouth crimped into the groove.  Look for Driftwood Johnson's posts as he has a bunch of photos on properly crimped cartridges, especially 44-40s.  Unless you have access to a press and the proper dies there isn't much you can do without damaging the cartridge to the point where it will not feed properly in the rifle.

I just magnified the photo and the cases with the telescoped bullets don't seem to be crimped at all.  It would seem that there is a quality control issue at the manufacturer.  Are those Starline cases?  They look just like Starline's new cases before they are sized on a press.

I bought a couple boxes of ultramax in 44/40 and had to crimp all of it before sending it. Had the same problem you're talking about. The best cure for it that i've found is just fill'em up with black powder and the crimp isnt as important. 

Be careful!  Before you go to clipping coils off your magazine spring, please isolate the magazine spring as being the cause of the problem.

(By the way, your ammo appears to be .38 Special.  Please know that when you post, it’s a good idea to state what caliber you’re shooting.)

BESIDES, if you’re getting telescoped (“caved in”) cartridges, THAT shouldn’t be happening just because the magazine spring is a bit too strong.  A “heavy” spring can be the cause of other issues, but I agree that telescoped cartridges is not likely one of those “other” issues.

I also agree that the cartridges are defective in that the crimp is faulty from the manufacturer.  They probably set up that way to cut corners in their manufacturing process, thinking that since they’re a handgun cartridge, they wouldn’t see service in a lever gun and go through THAT mechanical process.  I’d call them up and get them to replace the ammo.

Cat Brules

When I started shooting CAS 7 years ago for the short period of time before I started reloading, I bought some Fiocci ammo & had the exact same problem you described. Turned out they weren't crimped at all from the factory. Arizona Ranger took them home, crimped 'em all, & they worked fine.

17 hours ago, crorr91 said:

Is there a way an amateur like myself can visibly see a bad crimp before loading it?

Not so much visibly, but a tried and true method to check suspected rounds for light crimps is to put nose of cartridge against something substantial like a table edge and push in with your thumb on back of the case to see if the Bullets move or “telescope” into the cartridge case. I’d bet it’s not the mag spring like others have already noted! ;)

I tap them on the flat part of my vise.  They shouldn't move, even with a firm tap.  

11 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

Not so much visibly, but a tried and true method to check suspected rounds for light crimps is to put nose of cartridge against something substantial like a table edge and push in with your thumb on back of the case to see if the Bullets move or “telescope” into the cartridge case. I’d bet it’s not the mag spring like others have already noted! ;)

One easy way visually.  Set cartridge base down on a table.   Look directly down on the nose of the slug in the case, then scan all the way around the mouth to see if the edge of the case mouth is visible to you.   At least one half of the thickness of the case should be buried into the lead of the slug (if crimp is onto a flat (aka, land) of the bullet).

None of the edge of the case should be visible if crimped into a groove in the bullet.

Or, you can compare to a GOOD factory load.  It doe3s not take a

Comparometer https://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM 

machine to see if the suspect crimp looks pretty much like the good crimp.

Or, you can tap the loaded round in an impact (hammer type) bullet puller.   If it pulls from the case easily, it will not resist the easy push into a case that a magazine applies to bullets in cases.

Good luck, GJ

Archived