SASS Wire Forum

Eliminating negative thoughts?

Shooting Bull

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Instead of relaxing and thinking about how well I’m going to shoot a stage my mind starts to overthink it. When that happens the negative thoughts start to creep in. Don’t miss the holster when reholstering pistols, don’t leave an empty hull in the shotgun, don’t fumble the reload on the shotgun, etc. When those thoughts take over it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. That’s when I invariably have a train wreck. 

Do you have a routine when it is your turn to head to the loading table? It is nice to do things the same way each time. Then when your guns are loaded just focus on the stage instructions rehearsing them in your mind. I like to repeat in my mind "Let the front sight determine your speed". But you could vary it and say "Put the sixguns back in the holster" or "Eject those empty shotshells".  Really anything positive to occupy your thoughts to an outcome you want.

It may sound over simplified but just don't think of negative things:) The classic example Lanny Bassham gives is the baseball coach telling his player, "Don't strike Out" which leads to the player striking out. Instead the coach could say "Hit the ball" which leads to the player getting a hit. You really should check out Lanny's book, With Winning In Mind.

The Shooting Sports is a great pass time and the first two rules are the most important: 1) Be safe, 2) Have fun! But performing your best also adds to the enjoyment.

Shooting Bull, its like you to have positive thoughts.

Happy trails,

SJS

10 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Oh yeah, I'm with you 100% on that.  That's kind of the reason for starting this thread.  I'm looking for techniques to eliminate the negative thoughts and turn them to positive thoughts. I know whatever I try I'll need to practice, just looking for new/different things to try. 

When you get those, turn them around to positive thoughts and visualize what you're going to do.  It takes a lot of practice.

Hope you can come visit soon.

Doc

38 minutes ago, San Joaquin Shootist said:

Do you have a routine when it is your turn to head to the loading table? It is nice to do things the same way each time. Then when your guns are loaded just focus on the stage instructions rehearsing them in your mind. I like to repeat in my mind "Let the front sight determine your speed". But you could vary it and say "Put the sixguns back in the holster" or "Eject those empty shotshells".  Really anything positive to occupy your thoughts to an outcome you want.

It may sound over simplified but just don't think of negative things:) The classic example Lanny Bassham gives is the baseball coach telling his player, "Don't strike Out" which leads to the player striking out. Instead the coach could say "Hit the ball" which leads to the player getting a hit. You really should check out Lanny's book, With Winning In Mind.

The Shooting Sports is a great pass time and the first two rules are the most important: 1) Be safe, 2) Have fun! But performing your best also adds to the enjoyment.

Shooting Bull, its like you to have positive thoughts.

Happy trails,

SJS

I’m a huge fan of Lanny, Brian Enos and Joseph Parent. Maybe I should take your advice and simplify things instead of thinking too much. 

Archived