SASS Wire Forum

Eliminating negative thoughts?

Shooting Bull

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

You can't eliminate negative thoughts.  You CAN replace them with positive ones.  Hit the target, efficiently.  It's that simple.

Got any tricks for how to do that? How do you practice something like that?

I run through the target sequence as I'm standing on.   I visualize each shot on a particular target with the correct firearm.  When you do that for every shot, it gets your mind on the correct way to shoot the stage.  If I do it correctly, everything else, including audible distractions, fades away as the TO gets ready to start me.

6 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Got any tricks for how to do that? How do you practice something like that?

For starters, you're overthinking it.  Go read the Brian Enos book "Beyond Fundamentals".  If you've already read it, read it again.  Other than that, I don't yet know quite how to put something like this down on paper. 

Bull

First of all, there's no such thing as a negative thought or a positive thought. There are only thoughts. What you do with them is up to you.

In Zen meditation the idea is to have a clear or empty mind. That’s impossible for most people so we’re given something to concentrate on; counting our breaths, a repetitive phrase or even an activity such as flower arranging or archery. While this “meditation” is happening, stray thoughts (distractions) creep into our minds. Since we can’t keep them from coming in we just acknowledge they’re there and let them go. Don’t dwell on them and don’t judge them.

I’m guessing you already have your pre-shoot rituals. Keep doing those and when a stray thought comes in just wave at it and let it pass by. Same goes with during a stage. The point is not to have tunnel vision where you’re unaware of the world outside of your sights. You see the divot next to the shotgun table but it’s not a bad thing it’s just a thing to step over.  

This can be practiced. The easiest thing is a meditation technique of breath counting. Breath in, breath out…1. Breath in, breath out…2. If you lose count just start over. Try to concentrate on your breathing but if a stray thought comes in and you lose count, no problem, just start over. No judgment, no right or wrong it just is.  

Anyhoo...kinda long winded but it works for me, at least when I remember to do it. 

Brian Enos has a great forum where topics like this is discussed.  Excellent.Forums - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!.html  You will really enjoy it.

One good positive thought to consider is Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi doing five years together in the same cell.

Cat Brules

I don't think you can totally prevent them......so what I do is put myself in those situations at monthlies. I'll shoot before I'm ready, talk to people (the ones that want to talk to you) at the loading table instead of running the routine through my head,  go to the loading table when it's empty knowing the TO will call you up the moment the last cartridge goes in your gun etc...….

Then (IMO) you are more prepared for that situation that isn't perfect because you have prepared for it. If you have a negative thought it's kinda' the same thing...…..learn to let it float right on by and not attach itself to anything. 

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 1:55 PM, Cat Brules said:

Ignore the snakes and rejoice at the sweet, gentle horned toads.  Think about the horned toads and smile.  ;)

Cat Brules

Sometimes snakes are difficult to ignore.

Bull dear, I just think of shooting with you or hearing about your shooting. ;)

Snake and SG Targets.JPG

Allie Mo,

So yeah, sometimes snakes are difficult to ignore.  But those kinds of snakes have legs, like the ones that generate negative thoughts.  That’s when you channel your thoughts to the feisty, but gentle horned toad.

Allie, real rattlesnakes are generally benign.  You can pick them up and they'll crawl and twist their coils around your arms and waist, exploring you.  But, I exclude the Mojave Green Rattlesnake from that generalization.  The Mojave Green is like it’s 2legged cousin.  Often, they just come after you, unprovoked, from some distance.  I’ve never liked handling one of them, so instead, I avoid them, unless they’re after me and I get penned back against, say, the vertical wall of an arroyo.  Then, I try to distract them and move away.  That, or just shoot them.  I don’t like that last option much.  

I’d much rather be chased by........a gentle horned toad.

Cat Brules

9 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Bull dear, I just think of shooting with you or hearing about your shooting. ;)

We’re talking about ELIMINATING negative thoughts. If you put them into your head on purpose that’s on you. :lol:

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

We’re talking about ELIMINATING negative thoughts. If you put them into your head on purpose that’s on you. :lol:

Hey S Bull, you gonna be at winter range?  Not that I want to see you so much, but your lovely lady will probably be with you....always enjoy seeing her, sweet lady.

16 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

If we ever get the chance to shoot together. (hope we get to sometime) I will be more than glad to help you with this.

I will be happy to point out ALL the traps, and hard targets, and how you was just running on the

edge of all the pistol targets on the stage before. How you pretty much missed your holster with

that first pistol on the stage before. You know. Everything I can think of for you to avoid right before you

shoot.

As you know I would be wanting to help you with this all I can by pointing out ALL the negative stuff I can for you to

avoid right before you shoot.

Your helpful friend,

Anvil Al

14 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

Hey S Bull, you gonna be at winter range?  Not that I want to see you so much, but your lovely lady will probably be with you....always enjoy seeing her, sweet lady.

Unfortunately no. Winter Range isn't in the cards this year. And trust me, I understand about her. She's the only reason I go to a lot of places too. I sure don't go to see myself. :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

If we ever get the chance to shoot together. (hope we get to :lol:sometime) I will be more than glad to help you with this.

I will be happy to point out ALL the traps, and hard targets, and how you was just running on the

edge of all the pistol targets on the stage before. How you pretty much missed your holster with

that first pistol on the stage before. You know. Everything I can think of for you to avoid right before you

shoot.

As you know I would be wanting to help you with this all I can by pointing out ALL the negative stuff I can for you to

avoid right before you shoot.

Your helpful friend,

Anvil Al

You're a true friend. Thank you so much. :lol:

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

Unfortunately no. Winter Range isn't in the cards this year. And trust me, I understand about her. She's the only reason I go to a lot of places too. I sure don't go to see myself. :ph34r:

Sorry you won't be atWR this year, but on a positive note for me -- I move up a spot in the standings... :D Only a few more Duelist to back-shoot and I might finish in the top 10! I hope see ya at El Dorado (Ace invited me) this year instead.

2 hours ago, Rustler, SASS #33316 said:

Sorry you won't be atWR this year, but on a positive note for me -- I move up a spot in the standings... :D Only a few more Duelist to back-shoot and I might finish in the top 10! I hope see ya at El Dorado (Ace invited me) this year instead.

I’ll definitely be at Eldorado. Look forward to seeing you there. Bring some more of those SoCal folks. I enjoy poking fun at you. :lol:

Mr. Bull

I eliminate negative thoughts by thinking about what I can say on the wire responding to a thread on eliminating negative thoughts.

I interfere right back... It might be THE ONLY way I can finish 89th out of 90 entrants!

Not really, but it sounded funny as I typed it!  Doc Shapiro is right... A clean it ALWAYS puts a smile on my face...  as long as I don't bite my tongue concentrating on that hit too much!  ;)

Here is the summation of the article linked above:

"The bottom line is:

Stop focusing on the negative. Stop complaining, making excuses, bitching around, or in any other way negatively reinforcing what you don’t want in life.

Instead be nice to yourself and others, focus on the positive, talk about the good things in life, and just generally try to reinforce what you want more of in life."

Also if you don't mind that it is a forum mostly about USPSA/IPSC the Brian Enos forum has a whole section on Mental Conditioning:

Click here---> https://forums.brianenos.com/forum/18-mental-conditioning/

I will say having dabbled in IPSC and CAS as a hobby off and on for many years they are a little different. I can have my buddies rag me and still shoot an IPSC stage pretty well. CAS though I must really focus on to shoot some of the target orders. One distraction and I can train wreck:)

5 hours ago, San Joaquin Shootist said:

CAS though I must really focus on to shoot some of the target orders. One distraction and I can train wreck:)

That right there describes me to a T. I too used to do IPSC, IDPA, Steel Challenge, etc. so I understand where you’re coming from. 

And it’s the one tiny distraction I’m talking about. Even if it’s a shooter two or three spots in front of me having a train wreck. Whatever it happens to be I want to be able to block that out and focuse entirely on my own good performance. 

This simple old trick is usually used to calm "nerves" at the loading table but it also works well as a "thought disrupter" :)

Close your eyes and concentrate ONLY on trying to rub/grind one of your big toes through your shoe into the ground. 15 to 20 secs usually works for me. Some of you may be laughing but it does work, well at least for me. :)   Then refocus on the stage.

Good Luck

5-7-8 breathing technique. Close your eyes and concentrate on counting in your head.

Breathe in(through your nose) for a count of five, hold breath for a count of seven, breath out(through the mouth) for a count of eight. Helps clear your mind, very relaxing.

6 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

5-7-8 breathing technique. Close your eyes and concentrate on counting in your head.

Breathe in(through your nose) for a count of five, hold breath for a count of seven, breath out(through the mouth) for a count of eight. Helps clear your mind, very relaxing.

I like that! Gonna give it a try. Thanks.

On 2/14/2020 at 2:25 PM, Cat Brules said:

Allie Mo,

So yeah, sometimes snakes are difficult to ignore.  But those kinds of snakes have legs, like the ones that generate negative thoughts.  That’s when you channel your thoughts to the feisty, but gentle horned toad.

Allie, real rattlesnakes are generally benign.  You can pick them up and they'll crawl and twist their coils around your arms and waist, exploring you.  But, I exclude the Mojave Green Rattlesnake from that generalization.  The Mojave Green is like it’s 2legged cousin.  Often, they just come after you, unprovoked, from some distance.  I’ve never liked handling one of them, so instead, I avoid them, unless they’re after me and I get penned back against, say, the vertical wall of an arroyo.  Then, I try to distract them and move away.  That, or just shoot them.  I don’t like that last option much.  

I’d much rather be chased by........a gentle horned toad.

Cat Brules

Lived in the Mojave for over 28 yrs.

Trust me when I say that Rattler's can be aggressive. ;)

I had several encounters over the yrs.

OLG 

On 2/16/2020 at 6:54 PM, Shooting Bull said:

That right there describes me to a T. I too used to do IPSC, IDPA, Steel Challenge, etc. so I understand where you’re coming from. 

And it’s the one tiny distraction I’m talking about. Even if it’s a shooter two or three spots in front of me having a train wreck. Whatever it happens to be I want to be able to block that out and focuse entirely on my own good performance. 

What is the one tiny distraction causing you to do? Do you shoot the targets out of order or something else?

On 2/12/2020 at 5:48 AM, Cat Brules said:

One good positive thought to consider is Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi doing five years together in the same cell.

Cat Brules

Make it 25 to life and My smile won't even begin to fade for Years ....

Jabez Cowboy

10 hours ago, San Joaquin Shootist said:

What is the one tiny distraction causing you to do? Do you shoot the targets out of order or something else?

Instead of relaxing and thinking about how well I’m going to shoot a stage my mind starts to overthink it. When that happens the negative thoughts start to creep in. Don’t miss the holster when reholstering pistols, don’t leave an empty hull in the shotgun, don’t fumble the reload on the shotgun, etc. When those thoughts take over it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. That’s when I invariably have a train wreck. 

The word "don't" is evil.  Better to think "hit the target" "hit the holster" "clear the shotgun" etc.  Your brain holds those negative thoughts and it can turn into a self-fulfilling thought.  When you catch yourself thinking "don't spill the soup", reset that to "walk smoothly".  Turn the negative thoughts into positive ones.

8 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

The word "don't" is evil.  Better to think "hit the target" "hit the holster" "clear the shotgun" etc. 

This, 100%.

In my younger, fitter days I mountain bike raced. One learned early to look where you wanted to go instead of looking at what you wanted to avoid. Tree ahead? Look at the path around the tree, not the tree. Same idea. Concentrate on what you're doing not what you want to avoid.

2 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

The word "don't" is evil.  Better to think "hit the target" "hit the holster" "clear the shotgun" etc.  Your brain holds those negative thoughts and it can turn into a self-fulfilling thought.  When you catch yourself thinking "don't spill the soup", reset that to "walk smoothly".  Turn the negative thoughts into positive ones.

Oh yeah, I'm with you 100% on that.  That's kind of the reason for starting this thread.  I'm looking for techniques to eliminate the negative thoughts and turn them to positive thoughts. I know whatever I try I'll need to practice, just looking for new/different things to try. 

Archived