SASS Wire Forum

AR or Mini-14

Rye Miles #13621

I have a chance to buy from my neighbor an  S&W M&P AR 15 Sport or a Ruger mini-14 (that actually was mine) They're both about the same price. The Mini14 has a pretty wood stock that I had purchased when I owned it. He added a scope to it.

Whadya think? I'm leaning towards the mini 14 just because I like the looks of it better. The S&W is NIB, the Min 14 is 20 years old.

Thoughts?

Just now, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Can't get both?

I can but I don't want to spend the money! :lol:

Tough decision.  I have some of each and the AR-15 platform is more customizable.  Usually, the AR-15 is more accurate and the aftermarket parts, magazines, stocks,  are more available and less expensive.  The AR-15 is lighter than the Mini-14 until you start hanging stuff off of it.  The AR-15 is also easier to hang stuff off of.  However, I like the look of the Mini-14.  

I think you need to work out a package deal and get both.

I like both, and I admit to liking the Mini-14 a bit more. Having said that, yes, the AR-15 is going to be more accurate, and the buffer assembly means less felt recoil. The major advantage to a wood stocked Mini-14 is that the people who scream about "evil black guns" are often clueless and don't give a Mini a second glance.

I like the look and balance of the Mini 14. I have one. But the AR is a more versatile design and generally more accurate at ranges over 100 yds. If I culd oly get one, it would be the AR platform.

AR 

I am biased against the Mini 14 because:

They do not fit me. 
They have proprietary magazines. 
Very limited ability to customize or adapt gun to my ergonomics. 
Questionable accuracy (observed my friend’s shooting theirs)

Rye,

You said the Mini 14 was yours before. Think back on why you bought it in the first place and then why you sold it. If the reason for buying it outweighs the reason for selling it, then go for the Mini again. AR's are pretty much a dime a dozen nowadays, but there is only one Mini 14 that was yours before and with a custom stock that you personalized it with.

Wyatt

Take both of them to the nearest big, sloppy mud puddle, stomp both out of sight in the mud.Rod out the bore and attempt to fire both. I bet( based on experience) the Mini will work. If you are never gonna actually be in a place where you have to fight with this gun, buy which ever one you like best at the time. there will be plenty of both for a long time.

Imis

1 hour ago, MAYOBARD SASS #13025L said:

My AR is way more accurate than a mini 14.  I sold my mini 14 and bought an AR.  I never looked back.

I did the same thing, sold my Mini to a buddy to buy an AR. Had a nice trigger job on it. Jackass won't sell it back to me now. One strong point of the Mini, mine NEVER jammed. I used to shoot IPSC three gun matches, and don't recall ever SEEING a Mini jam. Yeah, an AR will out shoot it any day of the week. Only time I've even heard on one jamming was when another buddy's dipstick son in law misread his scale and loaded 25.0 grains of powder instead of 20.5. Case head looked like a .357, had to split the case head and pinch with a needlenose to dislodge it from the bolt.

Pick your poison.

Regards,

JHC

13 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I did the same thing, sold my Mini to a buddy to buy an AR. Had a nice trigger job on it. Jackass won't sell it back to me now. One strong point of the Mini, mine NEVER jammed. I used to shoot IPSC three gun matches, and don't recall ever SEEING a Mini jam. Yeah, an AR will out shoot it any day of the week. Only time I've even heard of one jamming was when another buddy's dipstick son in law misread his scale and loaded 25.0 grains of powder instead of 20.5. Case head looked like a .357, had to split the case head and pinch with a needlenose to dislodge it from the bolt. The Mini was unharmed otherwise.

Pick your poison.

Regards,

JHC

I had a mini that had the stock sights removed and a set of Lyman peeps put on it. It shot better at 200 yds than my current AR does as long as you didn't bear into the sling. Still kicking myself for selling it.

2 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Take both of them to the nearest big, sloppy mud puddle, stomp both out of sight in the mud.Rod out the bore and attempt to fire both. I bet( based on experience) the Mini will work. If you are never gonna actually be in a place where you have to fight with this gun, buy which ever one you like best at the time. there will be plenty of both for a long time.

Imis

already been done

2 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I have a pet theory that when Ruger first started hammer forging their own barrels they did not have it quite right. Older  mini's are "known" to be inaccurate but newer ones seem to be better thought of. I think it took a while to learn the art of hammer forging.

The accuracy on the Mini tends to degrade as the barrel heats up. Slow fire is ok.

I've had a Mini. Never jammed but accuracy, lack of "adornments", proprietary mags and the .223 (no .556) would be the reason to go for the AR platform. Just so many things that can be done with the AR platform that if I could only have one, I'd go with the AR.

YMMV

3 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I have a pet theory that when Ruger first started hammer forging their own barrels they did not have it quite right. Older  mini's are "known" to be inaccurate but newer ones seem to be better thought of. I think it took a while to learn the art of hammer forging.

They changed the barrel design for a more consistent POI.  The newer Mini does not need the strut.

Based on the limited information you gave us, I would get the Mini.  ARs are flooding the market and should be at least $100 less than the Mini not including the unknown scope value.  

This recommendation could change depending on your intended use, like a steel challenge match versus hunting.

8 hours ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

Rye,

You said the Mini 14 was yours before. Think back on why you bought it in the first place and then why you sold it. If the reason for buying it outweighs the reason for selling it, then go for the Mini again. AR's are pretty much a dime a dozen nowadays, but there is only one Mini 14 that was yours before and with a custom stock that you personalized it with.

Wyatt

The reason I sold it is because I don't really have a place to shoot it very often. I've owned a Bushmaster AR 15 that I wish I would have kept but that was another gun I couldn't shoot very often. If I don't shoot a gun regularly I tend to get rid of them. I have NO safe queens! I don't know why I'm even thinking about this but dammit I'm a gunaholic!:o

3 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

IMO go with the ar , 

had a couple of minis , even the worst ar would out shoot em 

as to the mini 30 , ya can't run fast enough to give me one , if I have to keep it 

CB 

That is pretty definitive Bill. :lol:

Sounds like you don't really need either one of them. Maybe spend your money on something you might use more? AR's and Mini's are readily available if you need one later.

6 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Sounds like you don't really need either one of them. Maybe spend your money on something you might use more? AR's and Mini's are readily available if you need one later.

Yep, exactly what I'm thinking!

Thanks for all the responses but I'm gonna pass on both. I got my eye on a couple pistols right now.;)

Howdy,

MINI 14.

Wait for the price to drop on the ar.

Most all guns have a favorite bullet ammo combination. MINI 14 more than some.

And I hear the later MINI has a little heavier barrel which is good.

And yes both would be my choice..or I s .....

Best

CR

21 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Newer ones have a thicker barrel and a redesigned gas system to deal with some of the adverse harmonics that was affecting accuracy. They're still not as accurate as an AR on average but a newer Mini will easily outshoot one of the old ones.

If it's a newer Mini I'd say get your old rifle back. The S&W is an entry-level AR and not worth a lot at the moment. But if it's an older Mini then it's a tough choice between the two.

Archived