SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kid Rich

Outlaw-Gunfighter

Shot my first 1st place Outlaw match.

WooHoo

kR

But did you have fun       CONGRATS      GW

Way to go, Kid Rich!  I'm trying to get up the nerve to shoot Outlaw sometime soon.

What's "Outlaw"?

8 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

What's "Outlaw"?

Shooting pistols and shotgun below shoulder level, i.e. not aiming over the barrel, or "from the hip".  Some clubs allow the rifle to be shot in a similar fashion, others do not.  Not a recognized SASS category.

THANKS for the info!!!

Two things I’ve learned when shooting outlaw. I tend to shoot high. Really high. And second, make sure to not have sleeves rolled up when shooting black powder. 

How do you shoot high with blank powder? :ph34r:

4 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

WooHoo

kR

Clean match?

Kajun

No it wasn't clean. Yes I did have fun. I have had several clean Outlaw matches the best one was GA state match. I've just recently started gunfighter and it was a challenge. but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

kR

9 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Shooting pistols and shotgun below shoulder level, i.e. not aiming over the barrel, or "from the hip".  Some clubs allow the rifle to be shot in a similar fashion, others do not.  Not a recognized SASS category.

In our neck of the woods Outlaw is pistols and shotgun as you said and either shot Duelist or Gunfighter. When the rifle is also shot from the hip they call it Ultimate Outlaw. Ladies shooting Outlaw are allowed a 2-handed grip.

Randy

11 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

WooHoo

kR

Uh oh.

Says all the other Outlaws.

:lol:

Congratulations, Kid.

You are always a great competitor and dang fun to shoot with.

Waimea

I cant hit the berm from the hip, Im sticking with "alledgedly" aimed

Imis

Congrats!

Congrats, outlaw is very fun indeed

Congratulations Kid Rich. Looking forward to shooting with you again.

I've never seen this!  I have to see if this is allowed at my range.  I haven't mastered GF yet so it only makes sense for me to add Outlaw so I can get my matches as dirty as possible haha. 

So here's an Outlaw question.  Since Outlaw is not an official category or class, when you sign the roster sheet before a match do you designate Duelist, Gunfighter, Outlaw, or what?

On 2/9/2020 at 10:03 AM, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

The link that Tyrel Cody supplied states "below chest level".  Any clarification on this?

I'm one of the few Outlaws in my area that shoots all guns from the hip (Ultimate Outlaw).  I started shooting outlaw when I got bored aiming down a barrel at those big targets.  When I started, I begin shooting the targets duelist and progressed to gunfighter.  I wanted something challenging and I found it in Outlaw.  Now, I find shooting a clean match a regular occurance and chalk it up to being blessed with this skill as it is not through practice! 

...Too Tall...

On 2/10/2020 at 5:17 PM, Marshal Hangtree said:

The link that Tyrel Cody supplied states "below chest level".  Any clarification on this?

It's pretty subjective.  I've seen guys hold their arms almost straight out and call it outlaw.  Outlaw and shooting from the hip are  two different things.    If your match allows it I'd ask the match director what they allow. 

Arm bent, below chest level, I register as Gunfighter most of the time and shoot it Outlaw style, Most of our local clubs offer Outlaw and we end up being the largest category a lot of times.

It will never be recognized by SASS which is fine with me. I have discussed it with Misty and a few of the Wild Bunch members and am fine with it the way it is. 

If you have any questions I will be glad to discuss with you. Send a PM and I will get back to you.

That's what I did, it says gunfighter but I shot Outlaw.

kR

I’m going to shoot frontier cartridge gunfighter at winter range and pistols will be shot outlaw style without sighting, a top 10 buckle is my goal.

Good luck to you, mean gun mark!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.