SASS Wire Forum

Outlaw-Gunfighter

Kid Rich

What's "Outlaw"?

8 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

What's "Outlaw"?

Shooting pistols and shotgun below shoulder level, i.e. not aiming over the barrel, or "from the hip".  Some clubs allow the rifle to be shot in a similar fashion, others do not.  Not a recognized SASS category.

THANKS for the info!!!

9 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Shooting pistols and shotgun below shoulder level, i.e. not aiming over the barrel, or "from the hip".  Some clubs allow the rifle to be shot in a similar fashion, others do not.  Not a recognized SASS category.

In our neck of the woods Outlaw is pistols and shotgun as you said and either shot Duelist or Gunfighter. When the rifle is also shot from the hip they call it Ultimate Outlaw. Ladies shooting Outlaw are allowed a 2-handed grip.

Randy

11 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

Shot my first 1st place Outlaw match.

WooHoo

kR

Uh oh.

Says all the other Outlaws.

:lol:

Congratulations, Kid.

You are always a great competitor and dang fun to shoot with.

Waimea

I've never seen this!  I have to see if this is allowed at my range.  I haven't mastered GF yet so it only makes sense for me to add Outlaw so I can get my matches as dirty as possible haha. 

So here's an Outlaw question.  Since Outlaw is not an official category or class, when you sign the roster sheet before a match do you designate Duelist, Gunfighter, Outlaw, or what?

On 2/9/2020 at 10:03 AM, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

The link that Tyrel Cody supplied states "below chest level".  Any clarification on this?

I'm one of the few Outlaws in my area that shoots all guns from the hip (Ultimate Outlaw).  I started shooting outlaw when I got bored aiming down a barrel at those big targets.  When I started, I begin shooting the targets duelist and progressed to gunfighter.  I wanted something challenging and I found it in Outlaw.  Now, I find shooting a clean match a regular occurance and chalk it up to being blessed with this skill as it is not through practice! 

...Too Tall...

On 2/10/2020 at 5:17 PM, Marshal Hangtree said:

The link that Tyrel Cody supplied states "below chest level".  Any clarification on this?

It's pretty subjective.  I've seen guys hold their arms almost straight out and call it outlaw.  Outlaw and shooting from the hip are  two different things.    If your match allows it I'd ask the match director what they allow. 

Arm bent, below chest level, I register as Gunfighter most of the time and shoot it Outlaw style, Most of our local clubs offer Outlaw and we end up being the largest category a lot of times.

It will never be recognized by SASS which is fine with me. I have discussed it with Misty and a few of the Wild Bunch members and am fine with it the way it is. 

If you have any questions I will be glad to discuss with you. Send a PM and I will get back to you.

I’m going to shoot frontier cartridge gunfighter at winter range and pistols will be shot outlaw style without sighting, a top 10 buckle is my goal.

Archived