SASS Wire Forum

Automotive Tip Of The Week

Subdeacon Joe

If I was any of those cat washers, I would sleep with one eye open from now on.

Saw a girl adding oil to her car once. She selected the radiator cap since it was easier to get to than that 710 cap. :blink:

Her coolant was obviously low since the radiator was 2 quarts low on oil. :wacko:

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Saw a girl adding oil to her car once. She selected the radiator cap since it was easier to get to than that 710 cap. :blink:

Her coolant was obviously low since the radiator was 2 quarts low on oil. :wacko:

Worked with a guy that added 5 quarts of oil to his uncle's Saab.  We worked 2 doors down from an auto parts store, so he kept walking over and buying quarts of oil.

.  He checked the oil with the engine running and kept putting oil in until it showed full.

22 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Worked with a guy that added 5 quarts of oil to his uncle's Saab.  We worked 2 doors down from an auto parts store, so he kept walking over and buying quarts of oil.

.  He checked the oil with the engine running and kept putting oil in until it showed full.

That must have been what the clown did to my Mazda when he put too much oil in it.  :angry:

4 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

That must have been what the clown did to my Mazda when he put too much oil in it.  :angry:

Saabs are tough.  He made it out of the parking lot with twice as much oil in the motor as it was designed to hold.

As most of you likely know, that’s what happens when water and oil, contrary to common belief, actually DO go into solution......resulting in a muddy-like sludge that has no lubricating properties.  Such is sometimes the cause of engine bearings and cylinder rings failing, the engine temperature soaring, and the engine seizing up, sometimes breaking and sending a piston rod right through the side of the engine.  These various or combined, internal engine failures are often colloquially referred to as, “blowing the engine” or “throwing a rod,” or etc.  

There are legitimate engine oil additives, but this Flex-Seal joke thing obviously ain’t one of them.  :o:blink::lol:

Cat Brules

According to Tom McCahill the refineries spend tens of thousands of dollars to take the stuff that is used to make additives out of their oil.

He did not recommend putting it back in.

The only additive I frequently use is Rislone. I've been using that stuff in my Jeep for 15 years and it's kept the internals very clean. I also used to buy the Engine Oil Supplement from GM back in the days when I was hot-rodding V8s. The rest of the stuff out there is snake oil at best, and can sometimes do damage at worst. A long time ago I used a can of engine flush in an old engine prior to changing the oil, and I got bearing noise afterwards. I also once used stop-leak in my radiator that did nothing but clog it and cause overheating issues just by itself. :angry:

Archived