SASS Wire Forum

Question about the Marlin 1894C

Sedalia Dave

The new 1894C Marlins with a 18.5" barrel and chambered in 38/357 claim to only hold 9 rounds. After you cut down the mag tube spring will they hold 10 357s?

My math says that they should but has anyone actually modified one and can give first hand feed back.

I'm trying to remember.  Is there a band with a screw in the center, between barrel and tube?  If so, remove the end cap, make sure screw is tight, then file some of the screw shank enough to allow the follower past it.  That's what I did when Limey was shooting her Marlin.  Ten rounds wasn't a problem.

Boomstick J could also probably confirm this. Give him a shout.

"bout all we ever did was cut of about 3 1/2 - 4" off the stock spring. Easier to load & easily holds 10 38 spec. OAL was approximately 1.475.

DC

34 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

IIRC-Yes, they will.

Get one of Slick's SS mag followers too.

Widder, can you confirm this, PLZ?

FWIW: They will hold 10, 38s in stock form.

OLG 

As others have stated..... it should.

DAVE:

the mag tube spring can be trimmed to approx 3-4" longer than the mag tube.  This will still give you

sufficient mag tube spring strength.

PLUS, you can also replace the mag tube follower with a SS follower and trim the nose tip to where it

barely kisses the front of the carrier or even a kiss away from touching it.

This shorter follower can sometimes add up to 1/8", which could be significant enough to help you.

There are some other things you might want to know.   Call me.

865 / 696-1996

..........Widder

Warden has done some good and interesting mods to Marlins and he's probably right.

But a main discerning factor will be your OAL of those cartridges.

Its possible to have 10 .357 that can be the same OAL as 9 .38 specials, depending on your

bullet designs, etc.....

.........Widder

Jersey Bratt's 18.5"Marlin 1894 will not hold 10 .357 length cartridges, it will hold 10 .38s. The spring has been modified. It will feed .357s fine just wont take number 10

Imis

Archived