SASS Wire Forum

Good Movies

3 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Naw... butterfingers.  Dang'd laptop keys are spaced just a tad closer together than my standard keyboard.  Annoyingly closer...  

So was the movie worth watching? The last laptop I had, I wanted to toss into a lake.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All in all, I thing it is; I'll probably watch it again with my son.  LOTS of action...

But there are some "Huh?" moments.

You'll see what I mean by my "duck!" comment.

Literally... I'm yelling at the TV "Would you Duck, you dummy!"  BLAM!  He shoulda ducked.  ;)

Just now, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

You'll see what I mean by my "duck!" comment.

Literally... I'm yelling at the TV "Would you Duck, you dummy!"  BLAM!  He shoulda ducked.  ;)

I can guess what you mean.....kind of like saying "You'll get this in your mind"?

I've bypassed this movie numerous times. I thought it would be boring. It wasn't. The King's Speech was excellent. I finally read the Rotten Tomato reviews. Both the public and critics liked it. I no longer rely on just the critics after a movie I couldn't watch beyond the 1/2 hour point.

"England's Prince Albert (Colin Firth) must ascend the throne as King George VI, but he has a speech impediment. Knowing that the country needs her husband to be able to communicate effectively, Elizabeth (Helena Bonham Carter) hires Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush), an Australian actor and speech therapist, to help him overcome his stammer. An extraordinary friendship develops between the two men, as Logue uses unconventional means to teach the monarch how to speak with confidence."

Last night I watched The Imitation Game. It is about cracking the German's Enigma Code during WWII. I don't recommend reading the Wikipedia article as it gives away too much. I'm glad I watched the story unfold.

I was skeptical whether I'd like it; but, the reviews by the public and critics were overwhelmingly positive

It is odd that all of my recommendations are based on true stories.

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

I figured some of this bunch would recommend Sorority House Massacre or some such. :ph34r:

Some good uns:

The Edge

Last of the dogmen

A river runs through it

Good Will Hunting

The Shawshank Redemption

Many rears ago I saw A River Runs Through It, Good Will Hunting, and the Shawshank Redemption. I remember they were good. That's all I remember. :blush:

About Sorority House Massacre, go wash before dinner. I hate horror movies.

45 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Many rears ago I saw A River Runs Through It, Good Will Hunting, and the Shawshank Redemption. I remember they were good. That's all I remember. :blush:

About Sorority House Massacre, go wash before dinner. I hate horror movies.

The edge and last of the dog men are the 2 best on the list. Who doesn't like Anthony Hopkins and Tom Berenger? It'd be hard to pick between the 2. If you watch them, let me know what you think!

Speaking of Tom Berenger, "Someone to Watch Over Me" (1987) is an old favorite of mine. A New York city crime drama, with a great villain, a glitzy Mimi Rodgers as the main role with Tom (the cop), and Lorraine Bracco in what I think was her first movie.

Legends Of The Fall is a pretty good movie.

:FlagAm:

I don't usually watch war movies. They are often over my blood and gore limit.

Last night, I made an exception for Hacksaw Ridge. It is another phenomenal movie based on a true story that had rave reviews from both critics and the rest of the audience.

It was about Desmond Doss, the  conscientious objector who won the medal of honor in WWII.  Be sure to stay tuned for the epilogue where people who were there, including Desmond, speak about the events.

33 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I don't usually watch war movies. They are often over my blood and gore limit.

Last night, I made an exception for Hacksaw Ridge. It is another phenomenal movie based on a true story that had rave reviews from both critics and the rest of the audience.

It was about Desmond Doss, the  conscientious objector who won the medal of honor in WWII.  Be sure to stay tuned for the epilogue where people who were there, including Desmond, speak about the events.

I thought that Hacksaw Ridge was an excellent movie. It took a ton of courage to do what he did.....armed or not.:FlagAm:

One source of movies that I had never heard of until last week or so is IMDb I think you can access it from your computer or Smart TV..

I think it is owned or operated by Amazon.  When I git amazon prime on and open the movie list, I arrow down a while and find IMDb, they have some good old ones.

Try " Outlaw"  it is not about Waimea the Outlaw bullet man.  Jane Russell is good, some times the movie gets hokey. all in its worth watching

it was made by Howard Hughes, about 1940. it has a different opinion on how Billy lives on.  I am from New Mexico so I have read a lot of books about the Kid.

We watched "The purpose of a dog"     My family enjoyed it!!!     GW

31 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

We watched "The purpose of a dog"     My family enjoyed it!!!     GW

I watched a little bit of that, just hurt too much. Did look like a good movie though.

39 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I watched a little bit of that, just hurt too much. Did look like a good movie though.

Almost like watching "old Yellar"       Bring your hanky      GW

Just now, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I hate movies where animals die. :(

Watch it anyway,   Interesting twist      GW

On 4/17/2020 at 7:16 PM, Tennessee williams said:

The edge and last of the dog men are the 2 best on the list. Who doesn't like Anthony Hopkins and Tom Berenger? It'd be hard to pick between the 2. If you watch them, let me know what you think!

Between the two, “The Edge,” and “Last of the Dog Men”?  
I think “Last of the Dog Men” is the better of the two.  While “The Edge” was watchable, interesting, and not a bad movie, I found it has a number of unlikely contrivances used to further its plot.  So “....Dog Men” was the one I liked best.   It starts with an unlikely, but certainly possible and interesting premise, for which there is no previous similar situation, and it develops from there.  Just a better story line in my view.

Cat Brules

A must watch movie based on a true story is "Greater". During winter months, and now the lockdown, my wife and I watch lots of movies. The movie Greater is one of the top true stories we have watched. True stories seem to make the best movies. 

On 4/17/2020 at 10:16 PM, Tennessee williams said:

I liked both but Last of the Dog Men is better.  Spoiler alert below.......

Can't stand Alec Baldwin but at least he dies a slow painful death.

Archived