SASS Wire Forum

Good Movies

Following are two three four five six seven eight of the best movies I've seen lately. We just switched from Direct to Dish.

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, Hacksaw Ridge, The Imitation Game, The King's Speech, The Upside, The Changeling, The Revenant, and the Green Book. Must see movies. Google them for descriptions. I'm wordless. :o

PS All of these are based on true stories. The Upside and Green Book are Drama/Comedy.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked the story of the Revenant but, I didn't like the way it was filmed. There was only one scene where the sun was out.  The director said it was intentional to film it that way.  I like the old Jimmy Stewart westerns where the sun is shining and the picture is bright with beautiful scenery and pretty girls.  I have not seen the Green Book.

Alpo, the great thing about it was the acting by DiCaprio, which was spectacular. It was a very sad tale. I didn't recognize him until one scene, then I remembered that he'd mentioned it in an interview. Now, when I Google Image it; he is instantly recognizable.

Image result for the revenant

I liked “The Revenant”.  
I haven’t seen “Green Book” yet.

An older comedy/drama I liked recently is “Midnight Run”.

”The Horse Soldiers” on DVD.  John Wayne.  Very good.

I liked the Revenant too but I had to rewind a few times, I fell asleep during some of the VERY VERY slow parts! Overall it was pretty good though.

Didn't see Green Book.

“Mister, you've got alot of hard bark on you walkin' down here like this.”

The Revenant was a real good movie in my opinion. The bear attack was the most graphic animal confrontation scene that I've seen in recent memory. The tale of survival from that point on was worth watching although I can see where some may have thought it was boring. The follow up of revenge was akin to what I would have had in mind also except....well, I won't give the ending away. I've not seen the Green Book. Now I'll have to look for it on Roku.

Really liked the Revenant, some eye rolling parts but that's Hollyweird, some slow parts true but all in all a very good movie. SCJ

I thought Revenant was a great movie for all the reasons listed, and what made it even better to me was that it was based on the true story of Hugh Glass. Yes, the guy got attacked by a bear. Yes, he was left for dead. Yes, he made it back (vengeance can be a strong motivator). It kind of glossed over misbehavior at a native village by a few of the trappers in their party as the reason the group was attacked by the natives in the first place.

Side note -- it was a little later the same year, in the same region, that Jedidiah Smith got his ear ripped off by a grizzly and had one of his men sew it back on.

Here’s another all time....timeless....great film!

I watched this on DVD a few nights ago.

Treasure Of The Sierra Madre”

(Alfonso Bedoya.....the bandit)

”Look here amigo, you got the wrong idea!”

”We aren’t trying to do you any harm!”

“We don’ wanna get chore gun for nothing....!”

”We ain’t got no badges!”

”We don’ need no badges!”

“I don’ half to show you no stinkin’ badges!”

:lol:

Cat Brules

On 2/5/2020 at 12:23 AM, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

24 minutes ago, Dude Slade said:

Hostiles is a must see. Such a fantastic movie. I need to watch it again.

The opening raid by renegades will sure wake you up!

1 hour ago, Dude Slade said:

Hostiles is a must see. Such a fantastic movie. I need to watch it again.

I liked Hostiles, just that I couldn't understand what Bale was saying half the time.

7 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

The opening raid by renegades will sure wake you up!

I’m still annoyed at that sodbuster rushing out into the open to confront the Indians with his Henry rifle instead of forting  up in his cabin and picking some of them off and making them root him out. Cost his daughters their lives he did!  Otherwise a great movie. 

Seamus

Movies ALL THE TIME, present unrealistic nonsense for the actors to do.  I mean, really foolish, plain stupid acts that no rational person would do.  It degrades the movie experience and often, for me, results in my just not continuing to watch the movie.

One of my pet peeves, I guess.

Cat Brules

My wife and Brad Pitt's mother worked together in the same office for several years and still have lunch together every so often.   So when Brad won his Oscar we thought, OK, we will rent the DVD of "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood", just so the girls could discuss it at lunch.  10 minutes into the movie my wife asks, "Are you enjoying this?"

"Nope," I replied.

We turned it off and went back to Netflix.

• 1 month later...

I've been watching a lot of movies since switching to Dish. I finally saw another winner. It somewhat reminds me of the Green Book. It is called The Upside.

Here is a brief synopsis.

"Phillip is a wealthy quadriplegic who needs a caretaker to help him with his day-to-day routine in his New York penthouse. He decides to hire Dell, a struggling parolee who's trying to reconnect with his ex and his young son. Despite coming from two different worlds, an unlikely friendship starts to blossom as Dell and Phillip rediscover the joy of living life to the fullest."

• 2 weeks later...

Green Book and The Upside were both excellent. I couldnt get through the Revenant it was way to dry and slow for me. I'll have to check out The changeling. I generally end up watching movies that the trailers do nothing to entice me but the wife says lets watch this. lol 

As I'm wrutubg this I'm just finishing "Danger Close."

Not a cheery movie by any means.  But most war movies aren't.  If we're to believe anything from this film, it would be that the Aussies were never taught to "duck."  

43 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

As I'm wrutubg this I'm just finishing "Danger Close."

Not a cheery movie by any means.  But most war movies aren't.  If we're to believe anything from this film, it would be that the Aussies were never taught to "duck."  

Not quite sure what wrutubg means......I'm pretty sure I've said something like that before after a movie though......and too much beer.:D

3 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Not quite sure what wrutubg means......I'm pretty sure I've said something like that before after a movie though......and too much beer.:D

Naw... butterfingers.  Dang'd laptop keys are spaced just a tad closer together than my standard keyboard.  Annoyingly closer...  

Archived