SASS Wire Forum

Cimmaron Black Powder frame

Mexicali Blue

I recently acquired a 7th Calvary model.  I love the pistol, the fit and finish is really nice and the action is crisp.  I’m pretty sure I want another 7 1/2 inch .45 to go with this one.  I am wondering if maybe they put a little extra effort in on the Calvary models compared to a standard 7 1/2 inch black powder frame .45.?  Does anyone own both that can comment?  I see there’s about a $90 difference in the price, is this just for the unique markings?  Thanks in advance to the most helpful Group on the internet.

1 hour ago, Goober O'Hurlin said:

I recently acquired a 7th Calvary model.  I love the pistol, the fit and finish is really nice and the action is crisp.  I’m pretty sure I want another 7 1/2 inch .45 to go with this one.  I am wondering if maybe they put a little extra effort in on the Calvary models compared to a standard 7 1/2 inch black powder frame .45.?  Does anyone own both that can comment?  I see there’s about a $90 difference in the price, is this just for the unique markings?  Thanks in advance to the most helpful Group on the internet.

Calvary is a hill outside of Jerusalem.

No wonder some new shooters feel put off by certain cowboys. smh. 

To answer your question NO. The only difference is going to be the 7th cav markings on yours vs the others. If you get another cimarron that's not the 7th cav model the fit, finish, and function should be the same providing you get one that has the same case hardened old model frame. 

I recently bought a charcoal blue 7th Cavalry.  Beautiful gun, but two Uberti blunders.  Where "45 Cal" is stamped on the left side of the triggerguard, the metal has been caved in (triggerguard screw hole is behind that marking).  That was workmanship.  And just a parts blunder, the cylinder has a row of proof marks on one side, which are not supposed to be there on Cimarrons.  I love it anyway, and it has yet to miss in its first 4 or 5 matches.

I think fit and finish between the pre-war and Old Model is really luck of the draw on any individual gun.  Uberti has been making the Model P so long they have it down pretty well, so mostly they are pretty good.

Pictures?:unsure:

I was gonna post this a couple of hours ago, but just as I finished writing the post, I realized that it would have been inaccurate.   But...

Maybe it can still be helpful.

To start with, here are some comparisons of different 7.5" SAAs

7-12.thumb.JPG.b63fb4c612e900ca1f844112d46fba84.JPG

Top Row, L to R.
First Gen antique Colt, .32-20

Uberti, .44 Magnum.  [Note how the pistol is slightly larger and thicker in many places.

Second Gen NRA Centennial Colt, .45

Bottom L to Right

Replica Colt Clone made to Cavalry specs.  45 Colt.

Generic Second Gen Colt, .45 Colt.

Then, I was gonna offer this close up of the Cavalry model...

525845184_457-12ArmyCimmaron.thumb.JPG.c6f2dea59e3b43154116f677d377b220.JPG

I was next gonna talk about what a nice pistol it is and how Cimmaron did a great job with these and recommend that one be obtained if possible.

Then I looked it over to remember a couple of minor details, and to my embarrassment I realized it's not a Cimmaron or an Uberti.   It's an EMF made by Armi San Marco.

Needless to say, I felt foolish.

But, I just remembered that I do have 3 Uberti SAAs in the collection.  All are nice pistols, and other that the weird safety in the hammer, they are good replicas of the Colt.  But none are "milspec" in their configuration.  That being said, yes, I do think paying a little extra for GI configuration is worth it.  It's just cool to have one set up that way.  Go for it.

I disagree.  All it amounts to is the equivalent of a hammer stroke onto a metal-stamp.  They’re mechanically equivalent to a standard revolver.  Various metal finishes might add to or subtract from the price to some degree, but $90 for a metal stamp is something to consider.  

Cat Brules

12 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

No wonder some new shooters feel put off by certain cowboys. smh. 

To answer your question NO. The only difference is going to be the 7th cav markings on yours vs the others. If you get another cimarron that's not the 7th cav model the fit, finish, and function should be the same providing you get one that has the same case hardened old model frame. 

I agree, we don't need spelling and history comments that have nothing to do with the OP's questions!:angry:

7 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

I disagree.  All it amounts to is the equivalent of a hammer stroke onto a metal-stamp.  They’re mechanically equivalent to a standard revolver.  Various metal finishes might add to or subtract from the price to some degree, but $90 for a metal stamp is something to consider.  

Cat Brules

I get your point, but it's more than just the US on the frame, and the inspectors mark on the grips.   It's the long barrel, the bullseye ejector, the black powder frame and to an extent, the specific finish.   Individually these items are no big deal, but all together they make for a specific "specialty" package that is worth a small premium.

The last few ubertis from cimarron that have come my way have just been top notch. I think they have really upped their game a lot. I know uberti makes all the guns for these companies, but it seems that the quality control cimarron has in place has been better for me personally than elsewhere. Cimarron also has options not available to other importers. I’m sure others will say the same about Taylor’s and anyone else, which is great for all of us. 

Archived