SASS Wire Forum

Enlisted Men, The Same From Generation To Generation

Subdeacon Joe

Here's a letter from a young Roman soldier named, Apion to his father, Epimachus.  Apion is writing from Misenum to let his father know that he has arrived safely after a stormy passage. 

The style of the letter is different, but so much of the content is similar to what soldiers through the centuries have written to their families.  Serenilla is most likely the girl he left behind.

"Apion sends heartiest greetings to his father and lord Epimachus.  I pray above all that you are well and fit; that things are going well with you and my sister and her daughter and my brother.  I thank my Lord Serapis (his god) that he kept me safe when I was in peril on the sea.  As soon as I got to Misenum I got my journey money from Caesar--three gold pieces.  And things are going fine with me.  So I beg you, my dear father, send me a line, first to let me know how you are, and then about my brothers, and thirdly, that I may kiss your hand, because you brought me up well, and because of that I hope, God willing, soon to be promoted.  Give Capito my heartiest greetings, and my brothers and Serenilla and my friends.  I sent you a little picture of myself painted by Euctemon.  My military name is Antonius Maximus.  I pray for your good health.  Serenus sends good wishes, Agathos Daimon's boy, and Turbo, Gllonius's son."

(Source: G. Miligan, Selections from the Greek Papyri, 36)

I found this letter in William Barclay's book, The Letter to the Romans, which is a part of his series of books, The Daily Study Bible Series.   Apion's letter is in the "A General Introduction to the Letters of Paul" on page x.  Barclay used Apion's letter to show the style in which letters were written in the First Century and that Paul used the same style.

I found the letter interesting because I found it so typical of a young soldier.  Apion (Antonius Maximus) probably got seasick and thought he was going to die, hungry for letters from home, got his travel pay, sent a picture made of himself in his uniform, and wanted the family to know he was likely to be soon promoted.  ^_^  Salute!!

A few years ago I was sitting in Vnukova international airport the smallest of Moscow’s three commercial airports, dinking coffee waiting for a friend. In came a formation of 60 soldiers, male and female, brand new blue parkas, black rabbit fur ushankas (hats with ear flaps) sort of marching, sort of in formation, commanded by six cadre in green and brown uniforms the same style as the formation.

i thought “60 crutes going to boot camp”

As a mustang I can truly appreciate this.  I also love the quote from an old officers' handbook from the 1800s, which told young officers, "...enlisted men are stupid but extremely cunning and sly, and bear considerable watching..."

Archived