SASS Wire Forum

Colt Lightning rifle

Major General Shagnasty

Help, I need some help to find some drawings or blue prints to copy a missing part on an 1885 Colt Lightning 44-40. rifle.  It is called the slide release lock #29 on the blow up figure. If anyone has a gun like this and will Trace the part I can build it I know where to start.

Thanks for any help

Please post a link to the blow up showing the part. The one drawing I could find part 29 shows as a pin for the hammer group. I've got an 1885 in 38-40.

Try contacting Lassiter.   He knows more about the Lightning than anyone.   He's fixed one of mine, and has worked on originals and all of the replicas.

He prefers phone calls.   In fact, that's the only way to contact him.  Knowing that, and since I got it the exact same way, I'll post it here.

937-687-1039

The Lighting is a great rifle, and once you get used to it, it can rapidly become your favorite rifle.   I've got four of the things, 2 AWA's and 2 real Colts.   Five if you count the Colt in .22 Long.  I started out just wanting to have one to have one, and I caught the bug something fierce.

Good luck.

MGS.. I understand you wanting to have the part in place, and I assume you noticed that the Colt Lightning will function properly without the slide lock. The job of the slide lock is to lift the rocker arm which releases the slide and enables the action to be continuously cycled to empty the magazine of its rounds without the hammer dropping. (When the Colt Lightning is fired normally, two tangs on the bottom of the hammer lift the rocker to allow the slide to be cycled.)

RR

Archived