SASS Wire Forum

Ammo pouch vs Cartridge loops

Highwall

Sometimes I have trouble lifting the cartridges from my cartridge belt. Some loops are tighter than others. Recently I found this leather pouch that I can load with several .45 Colts  (16 rounds) or my .45-70's (8 rounds). I like it a lot!

pouch.jpg

that has a really traditional look  , very nice 

i have a vintage version of that in my collection/accumulation  actually two , but they have a wood block drilled to hold specific cartridges , date to the very early 1900s single digit variety , one is revolver the other rifle , 

Yeah it was a challenge finding it. First attempts found pineapple leather then faux leather etc. I think you need to search genuine leather from Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas to find truly authentic leather products nowadays.

What’s pineapple leather?

Consider wetting the bullet loops with water, with a spray bottle.  Insert pieces of wood dowel, slightly larger than a .45 case, into the loops and let it all dry.  The loops should then be loose enough to release your cartridges easily.

By the way, many good leather workers are available.  Several of them are active here on the SASS Wire forums.

Cat Brules

11 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

What’s pineapple leather?

Consider wetting the bullet loops with water, with a spray bottle.  Insert pieces of wood dowel, slightly larger than a .45 case, into the loops and let it all dry.  The loops should then be loose enough to release your cartridges easily.

By the way, many good leather workers are available.  Several of them are active here on the SASS Wire forums.

Cat Brules

Piñatex is a new plant-based textile, made from the waste of the pineapple harvest, that can be used as an alternative to leather.”

24 minutes ago, Highwall said:

Piñatex is a new plant-based textile, made from the waste of the pineapple harvest, that can be used as an alternative to leather.”

That's good to know,  because if the Democrats take over we won't have any Cows.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I just ordered one of these:

http://missourimarshal.net/mmlb.html

Loading blocks/strips are great for bringing ammo to the LT, but NOT LEGAL for carrying ammunition to the stage for reloads.

36 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Loading blocks/strips are great for bringing ammo to the LT, but NOT LEGAL for carrying ammunition to the stage for reloads.

I read the OP wrong. Whoops! 

I use my own reproduction of the 1874 Dyer Pouch, primarily to carry my shotgun shells.  It will hold six so if I need four for a stage, I have two extra in case I drop a couple.  The pouch is lined with sheep's wool, front and back, per the original.  If I need extra cartridges, they will also fit.  Sorry I can't post a picture. Haven't quite figured out how to do that since Photobucket got hinkey on us.  You can go to www.gunfighter.com/trailrider .

13 hours ago, Highwall said:

Yeah it was a challenge finding it. First attempts found pineapple leather then faux leather etc. I think you need to search genuine leather from Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas to find truly authentic leather products nowadays.

We make some really nice stuff here in Minnesota.

Check out www.doubletreecarriage.com

Archived