SASS Wire Forum

First Match in 2 1/2 years. Yikes!

Frederick Jackson Turner

Ooooh-kay...

Several moving parts to this story, so bear with me.  Because of the issues which caused my unfortunate departure a couple of years back, I was using borrowed...everything.  Thanks to Hud, Coffee, Aimless Lee, and Sgt. Major O'Donnell, who between them, hooked me up with the necessary firearms, ammunition, and even a gun cart to wheel the schtuff around in.

It took a while, but I did find clothing and leather; good thing, because as much as I like this game, I don't believe I would quite be comfortable in someone else's trousers.  (Side note; curiously enough, in the last two and a half years of inactivity, my clothing and leather seem to have shrunk a bit. Hmmm....)

The Cajon Cowboys have undergone some trials and tribulations in the last year, but, after some heroic effort, have built a new range at their location, and done a great job of it.  Props are beautiful, solid, and stages are very shooter friendly.

The day dawned bright and clear, and even, a bit warm.  What a great kickoff for their first match!

101 shooters showed up, with people driving in from other states to say hi, and wish them well. We arrived in plenty of time, but there was so much handshaking and back slapping going on that it was time to shoot before I knew it.

My first stage was great fun; if you don't have an adrenaline charge before any match, you ain't quite human, but this was extra special.  The buzzer went off, my hands found their way down to my sixguns, and it was off to the races.  That is, the races, if  Benny Hill was driving.  I was plumb rusty and a bit fumbly, shot clean but careful, tossed a few shotgun shells out to the crowd, and reeled in a not-too-awful 18 second stage.  While of the pace for the Fast Guys, that was encouraging!

Everything went that way; consistently slower than my brain told me that I should go, but, absent a few brain fluffs, and a rifle miss (I hadn't missed a rifle shot since about 2004...) it went better than I thought.  Unsteady hands put a shotgun down incorrectly on one stage which drew an SDQ, however.  but, honestly, I was having too much fun to even take issue with that.  Aside from that, I finished the day without shooting myself in the foot, either actually or, metaphorically.  Watching the other shooters, I did have that momentary amazement at how fast everyone has gotten since I last went shooting!

It was great fun; more than I have had in a year. I was wearing a HUGE grin, all day. Honestly, it was a mixture of a party, a reunion, and a sporting event.  I wish the Cajon Cowboys well, and hope to get back out there again, before long.

In fact, I hope to get up to speed and get out and about for a few more matches, soon!  Thank you for all the well wishes and encouragement, and I hope to see you ALL out on the range!!!!

A very cheery FJT

IMG_5861.jpg

IMG_5862.jpg

IMG_5865.jpg

IMG_5873.JPG

F86B0D28-56AB-4637-8A04-553C1F06A849.jpeg

Hey, Hey Mr., Turner,

You are looking sharp.  I had a thought.  After moving out of my business "digs" to my retired domestic "digs", I have misplaced the CD you did for us cowboy shooters.  If you are heading East anytime this year, would you slip a few of the CD's in your luggage for resale to us ole cowpokes who enjoy your music talents? 

Thank You, Sir and, again, Welcome Home!

KCD

I just noticed this and while it’s wonderful news, things have changed since you’ve been gone.  Fortunately, your ‘ol Pard BT is here to help!  You’re gonna need some new gear.  Rossi is the “go to” lever gun now and it just so happens I have one I can sell ya!  In addition,  you’ll need a different 12ga ‘97 and you won’t believe it.........but I have a few of those as well!  In fact,  you’ll need three and I can set you up, pronto. Just send a blank cashiers check payable to “BT”, P.O. Box 00, Cahoots, UT.  

Now to get serious for a moment, this is the best news I’ve heard in quite awhile. Welcome back, my friend........shoot ‘em up! 

KCD:

Thank you for the kind words; I'll make certain that you get a copy of the CD; for what it's worth, I'm working on another one, as we speak.  If you don't want to wait, you can PM me, and well see if we can't get something going, before my next trip out there - which IS coming.

Cheers,

FJT

48 minutes ago, B. T. Blade, SASS #35685Life said:

I just noticed this and while it’s wonderful news, things have changed since you’ve been gone.  Fortunately, your ‘ol Pard BT is here to help!  You’re gonna need some new gear.  Rossi is the “go to” lever gun now and it just so happens I have one I can sell ya!  In addition,  you’ll need a different 12ga ‘97 and you won’t believe it.........but I have a few of those as well!  In fact,  you’ll need three and I can set you up, pronto. Just send a blank cashiers check payable to “BT”, P.O. Box 00, Cahoots, UT.  

Now to get serious for a moment, this is the best news I’ve heard in quite awhile. Welcome back, my friend........shoot ‘em up! 

B.T.!!!

If I hadn't just bought a Henry Big Boy in .44 Mag to go with my pair of Walker Colts, I'd have taken you up on that kind offer!  Of course, a good '97 is always appreciated...never having met one of that description in my entire life...

Until I can make way way out to Cahoots, Youtah, I'll just stick with my lightnin' quick Meteor 10 ga..... :wacko:

See you at EoT?

Cheers,

FJT

PICT0372.jpg

10 hours ago, Frederick Jackson Turner said:

B.T.!!!

If I hadn't just bought a Henry Big Boy in .44 Mag to go with my pair of Walker Colts, I'd have taken you up on that kind offer!  Of course, a good '97 is always appreciated...never having met one of that description in my entire life...

Until I can make way way out to Cahoots, Youtah, I'll just stick with my lightnin' quick Meteor 10 ga..... :wacko:

See you at EoT?

Cheers,

FJT

PICT0372.jpg

Sayyyyyy ...... do that be Uncle Tex#4 there with you ?

2 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Sayyyyyy ...... do that be Uncle Tex#4 there with you ?

Looks more like Zzyzx to me.

13 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Looks more like Zzyzx to me.

I keep forgetting that you’re sharp as a tack, though you’ve been around slightly longer than dirt, Yul. Correctamundo; that’s Zzyzx, giving me some pointers on the hammered 10 gauge double, back in the day. Good fella.

Cheers,

FJT

( Did I mention how great it was, seeing you at Cajon, last week?)

Looking forward to seeing you again if you come back east. There's always a cold one waitin' fer ya at my trailer. On a side note. Your CD is all my grandkids want to here when they're in Papaw's truck. It's a backseat choir of "It's Cold" and "Santa was a Cowboy Too".

Got out on Sunday, to the Panorama Sportsman's Club. 

It went a good deal better, this week.

Still a long way away from being completely comfortable! Slooooowly, but surely.  But slowly...

Cheers,

FJT

3 minutes ago, Frederick Jackson Turner said:

Got out on Sunday, to the Panorama Sportsman's Club. 

It went a good deal better, this week.

Still a long way away from being completely comfortable! Slooooowly, but surely.  But slowly...

Cheers,

FJT

Were shooting 8 stages at Cajon on Saturday.

Archived