SASS Wire Forum

How to drill a square hole

Sedalia Dave

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

I jist punch mine and drift it. Course I'm blacksmithing and not machining. I ain't smart enough for that.

Well, atleast you got 1 of those 3 sentences correct..... :lol:

..........Widder

5 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Well, atleast you got 1 of those 3 sentences correct..... :lol:

..........Widder

Peanut gallery always has to sound off. I thought you were supposed to be finishing the chores the bunkhouse boss gave you to do.:ph34r:

Oh, my, goodness ...
... this is good for me ...
... I like to think I am at least a little intelligent ...

... but drilling a square hole?

This is so absolutely distant from anything in my experience that I realize ...

... a little knowledge is a dangerous thing ...

... I know so little I get in trouble real easy!

9 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Peanut gallery always has to sound off. I thought you were supposed to be finishing the chores the bunkhouse boss gave you to do.:ph34r:

I have more authority in MY house than you realize.

She wants the kitchen floor mopped.  Big deal.

I get to decide when to mop it..... this morning or this afternoon..... :D

..........Widder

13 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Astroglide? (@2:33):blush:

I actually looked up “Astroglide Machine Lubricant” thinking “Where have I heard of this product before?” :rolleyes:

It wasn’t at a machine shop...:o

58 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I actually looked up “Astroglide Machine Lubricant” thinking “Where have I heard of this product before?” :rolleyes:

It wasn’t at a machine shop...:o

I was a machinist for a lot of years …. never used that brand at work. LOL!!!!!!!!!!

On 2/7/2020 at 4:40 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

You mean you don't simply use a square drill bit? :blink:

You bet pard, get them at horrible freight  99 cents fir a dozen!!!

Reminds me of a time back in the 80's.  I went into the tool department at the Sears store in Concord.  And I was a bit disappointed to see that the only staffer in the department was a young lady.  Cute thing, nicely dressed and made up - and looked totally out of place in that department.

"May I help you?" she asked with a sweet smile.

"Why, sure!" I replied.  "I'm looking for a sanding disc for my radial arm saw."

She gave me a mildly condescending look, and said "I'm sorry, but there is no such thing.  A radial arm saw is a 'saw,' not a sander.  And if there WAS such a thing we don't carry it."

"Okay.  Thanks anyway," I said, then walked over to the saw accessories area, found my sanding disc, and plopped it down on the check-out counter.

She looked at it... eyes widened... then, with a shocked and embarrassed voice said "Oh!  I've never HEARD of these!" and proceeded to ring up my purchase.   "Um... is there anything else I an help you with...?"

I thought for a moment, then asked "Sure!  Can you tell me where I can find mortise bits for a drill press...?"

She looked at me, her expression now looking confused, and asked "Uh... 'mortise bits?'  What are 'mortise bits?'"

"Why, 'mortise bits' are used to drill square holes in wood!"

I thought the poor girl was gonna cry~!!  :lol:

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSKkt7Pcb0YoQeaQqjqPj7isVUAIguh52tg-_IStAwyN_2SYqG3IYwhXy0N6r-i_Z_ga-5d5pg&usqp=CAc

I once asked an assistant at a hardware store for a crowbar and was told to go to a pet store that sold birdcages ......  :huh:

i also asked for a ratchet screwdriver and she said that they only sold screwdrivers that worked properly.  :wacko:

thank you ... please tip the waiters

:ph34r:

14 minutes ago, Dustin Checotah said:

Drilling square holes. Now thread it.

I wish there was a knee-slapping laugh emoji~!   ^_^   :lol:  

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

do you mean like thread a shoelace through it ?  :huh:

I think he means thread it so you can screw a square bolt through it.  :)

Sent a young man on a epic journey one day.  He was a new employee at the local big box home improvement store.  I told him I needed a metric adjustable wrench, and an ambidextrous claw hammer. 

As far as I know, he's still looking.

If I run into someone like the lady, trying to make it in “a man’s world,” I try to take them along, find the item and explain to them, what it is, how to use it and give them a couple examples of what it’s used for.  Then, explain the end use for what the item does.  Most people, especially the girls, grasp those explanations pretty quickly.  Especially so in a hardware store.

Cat Brules

13 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

If I run into someone like the lady, trying to make it in “a man’s world,” I try to take them along, find the item and explain to them, what it is, how to use it and give them a couple examples of what it’s used for.  Then, explain the end use for what the item does.  Most people, especially the girls, grasp those explanations pretty quickly.  Especially so in a hardware store.

Cat Brules

Indeed.  Same here...

But in this situation, she was not only totally out of her element, she was arrogant.  I've encountered many very, very competent women in retail departments traditionally staffed by men.  She was not one of those; and I didn't ask about the mortise bits to "set her up" - I needed one.

I wonder what her reaction would have been if I'd asked for a ten inch flat bastard file!  :rolleyes:

As a youngun I was asked to fetch a skyhook, left handed monkey wrench and striped paint. Fortunately my big brother had previously clued me in when it happened to him so I never took the bait.

Seamus

12 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Sent a young man on a epic journey one day.  He was a new employee at the local big box home improvement store.  I told him I needed a metric adjustable wrench, and an ambidextrous claw hammer. 

As far as I know, he's still looking.

Somewhere at home here I have an adjustable wrench that is marked in millimeters on one side and inches on the other. 

After 40+ years in the Electrical construction trade......you have no idea what I've asked (made) green helpers go to the truck/trailer/shop to bring back or do. Wire stretchers, left handed pipe benders, wire connection glue, clear black tape and many other things. Told a helper to drive a 10' ground rod once and gave him an old, beat up rubber hammer and a piece of 2 x 4 so he wouldn't damage the rod or hammer.....quite humorous I might add.

9 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

After 40+ years in the Electrical construction trade......you have no idea what I've asked (made) green helpers go to the truck/trailer/shop to bring back or do. Wire stretchers, left handed pipe benders, wire connection glue, clear black tape and many other things. Told a helper to drive a 10' ground rod once and gave him an old, beat up rubber hammer and a piece of 2 x 4 so he wouldn't damage the rod or hammer.....quite humorous I might add.

I was the supply petty officer for M-Div. (Machinery division) on the ship that I was on. One day a young sailor came to the supply room and asked if we had any fallopian tube. I asked him to repeat what he said and when I was sure of his answer I said no and asked where else he had tried. After he told me I sent him to aft AIMD. (Airframes). Guy must have never took health class in high school. This was pre women on board Navy.

Hidden Navy storeroom.jpg

Best one I was ever part of was sending a young sailor after a left handed allen wrench. 

Do you have any idea how hard it is to not laugh while an idiot inspects your tool boxes for a miss placed tool that doesn’t exist?  

On 2/9/2020 at 12:10 AM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I thought the poor girl was gonna cry~!!  :lol:

Tell her you have a Cash Guarantee Card...
"Oh, we don't take those...."

Archived