SASS Wire Forum

Buntline Mares Leg

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

First, I found this rifle, which Winchester, via it's Japanese partner whose name I can not spell so I won't even try, no longer markets.

92trap.jpg.b9fa8322efd6812d1d37d6e055486700.jpg

The called it a  Trapper.  .44 Magnum, 16 inch barrel.

The main thing is the pistol grip stock.   I was thinking that if a 92 in this configuration could be found, that it would make for a much better looking, and possibly more ergonomic Mares Leg type pistol than the straight stock ones like on the TV original.  If the stock were cut along the "checkering line" on the grip, it would have an actual pistol grip shape.   Of course, I doubt if any of the makers of the Mares Leg replicas will market one with this kind of a stock.   But then, I did some pondering.  Since this has got a 16 inch barrel, as long as the overall length of the gun is at least 26 inches, then cutting the stock as described above does not an SBR make.  It would still legally be a rifle.   Also, by not shortening the barrel any, you would have defacto Mares Leg Buntline.   Granted, it's probably be "better" to do it with something other than an one of the new Winchesters for cost purposes, but this was the only one I could find a picture of with the pistol grip stock.

And while I think this might be a fun idea, I think it would also work much better with a round barrel and not an octagon take down so that it would not be too muzzle heavy.   After all, I have one of those Chiappa 87 Mares Leg shotguns, and they are very muzzle heavy.  No way you can shoot 'em one handed.

This of course is all hypothetical, and not much more than an interesting novelty idea.   And before anyone asks why I don't just get a Rossi or a Chiappa Mares Leg and be done with it, I can't.  I live in Massachusetts.

14 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

First, I found this rifle, which Winchester, via it's Japanese partner whose name I can not spell so I won't even try, no longer markets.

92trap.jpg.b9fa8322efd6812d1d37d6e055486700.jpg

The called it a  Trapper.  .44 Magnum, 16 inch barrel.

The main thing is the pistol grip stock. If the stock were cut along the "checkering line" on the grip, it would have an actual pistol grip shape. 

You would also have to bend the upper tang downward.

Regards,

Jim

9 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

You would also have to jump through several, expensive Federal hoops. Cutting the stock off of a rifle requires permits from the ATF.

As long as the overall length of the rifle is at least 26 inches, the ATF is not interested.   

8 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

No one has suggested it, but what if you took a Rossi Mares leg, get a pistol grip stock and lever and have someone fit the pistol grip lever to the Rossi?  

Now, you see, that makes logical sense.   But I can't buy either a Rossi or a Chiappa Mares Leg.  I live in Massachusetts, and they are not an 
"approved" handgun.   Therefore, they can not be sold in this state.  So, I have to be creative.  :(

When I was in Kalifornia they weren’t on the CA approved list of handguns.  I got one anyway by means of their “single shot” exemption.  Once owned there was nothing in the books outlawing modifying legally owned firearms, so I unblocked the mag tube.

Is Mass the same way?  See if there’re exemptions for single shot handguns or replicas if antiques.

Archived