SASS Wire Forum

3 click vs 4 click

Isom Dart, SASS#8096

Been on some forums and trying to understand the 3 vs 4 click controversy ??  I don't understand what the big deal is. You don't notice it when you shoot. Do they shoot any different ? Not trying to stir the pot, just trying to understand what the problem is , 'cause I don't' Evidently they're both good shooters.

Isom

I would assume that the controversy comes from the fact that it's a deviation from the gun as designed as Colt, and people don't like it.   Think of it as akin to the various so called "lawyer safeties" found on the different reproduction 92's.   They are an unneeded change, and therefore they should not have been done.  An SAA is supposed to go "click click click click" and if it just goes "click click click" it's somehow "wrong."   And unlike the different types of rather silly "safeties" based on doing things with the cylinder pin on an SAA clone that can be done away with just by replacing the cylinder pin with one from a Colt [sometimes] I assume that modifying the 3 click clone back to the way it's supposed to me is not as simple a thing to do. 

Cock a Colt slowly.  You may hear click-click-click-click.  I hear C-O-L-T.

That being said, you might as well start the Colt vs Ruger or Winchester vs Marlin discussion.  It is purely a matter of personal taste.  Besides, the exciting part is the Boom....clicks are the boring part that nobody pays any attention too.  Unless of course the click was supposed to be a Boom, in which case you have other problems.

15 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Cock a Colt slowly.  You may hear click-click-click-click.  I hear C-O-L-T.

That being said, you might as well start the Colt vs Ruger or Winchester vs Marlin discussion.  It is purely a matter of personal taste.  Besides, the exciting part is the Boom....clicks are the boring part that nobody pays any attention too.  Unless of course the click was supposed to be a Boom, in which case you have other problems.

they also have a distinct sound and rhythm when cocked fast and anything other than four clicks sounds odd. even on a Uberti 

53 minutes ago, Isom Dart, SASS#8096 said:

Been on some forums and trying to understand the 3 vs 4 click controversy ??  I don't understand what the big deal is. You don't notice it when you shoot. Do they shoot any different ? Not trying to stir the pot, just trying to understand what the problem is , 'cause I don't' Evidently they're both good shooters.

Isom

I don't know if they shoot any differently. There were a lot of complaints about failure to fire in some of the early versions. As for the "you don't notice it when you shoot" that is patently false. Maybe you don't notice it. I certainly do and most folks that have been shooting colts and clones for long enough does as well. It's not just a missing click, but a space between the half cock and full cock that feels really long. I can pick one up blindfolded and feel it right away. I know because I tried this same exercise. If it's something you are really used to, then it does matter. For what it's worth, I did not find it hard at all to swap out the parts for the original style hammer and trigger. I understand it's getting more difficult to find those parts than it once was. Fortunately for me, I still have a few extra parts stashed away in case I want to buy any more ubertis and not just Colts.

53 minutes ago, Isom Dart, SASS#8096 said:

Isom

Howdy!  It's been a long time.

If everything is working properly, there's not much difference between them.  For the most part, the guns function just fine.  There have been a few reported problems with the retractable firing pin.  Some folks have been having a failure to fire.  Seems like with any mechanical item, sometimes there will be failures.  Uberti will fix it under warranty unless the gun has been buggered with.  

Enough people want their guns to run the way they always have, that any time the "old type" hammers and triggers are available, they sell out quickly.

I have one of each and to be honest, they both shoot better than I. There is some talk of the reliability of the new hammers, but I haven't had a problem. Yet.

It's not really something that you wan't worrying you in the back of your skull.

For me, the big issue is at the loading or unloading tables. I still have to be conscience of that 3 clicker because I'm so used to how it is supposed to be.

If one were to switch to Percussion Colt Pattern guns, shooting real Black Gonne powder, the Three Click-vs-Four Click dilemmer becomes moot.  You see, Cap Guns don't have 4 Clicks.  Never had 4 Clicks.  I suppose that means they miss-spell Col, or perhaps Cot or some such.  Those of us whom prefer REAL single actions guns that function with Percussion Caps and REAL gonne powder and never had four clicks simply have one less thing to be annoyed with.  When concerned with less    Too be had is more FUNNER  :D   Burma Shave

I have one, it shoots fine. I mostly shoot my Colts and I can hardly even tell the difference unless I cock it real slow. The first click is gone, it was the safety position, not needed with these new Ubertis. 

On 2/7/2020 at 4:05 PM, Isom Dart, SASS#8096 said:

Isom

That's a good question. I think the main complaint is the hammer treatment that comes with 3-click. Without the first click though there can be no claim that the gun has a safety feature, unless they then mess with the hammer and firing pin action.

A Well Tuned Colt SAA Spells C O L T when cocked ...

Then again They Go Boom not Phizzzzzzz....

Least when they shoot the Real powder ....

Jabez Cowboy

26 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

This thread got me thinking so I had to go check....my Rugers have only two clicks. I think that stands for ‘don’t care.’ 

If I could actually hear those clicks during a stage I would know I was shooting too slowly.

It stands for RU- GER:lol:

I think the real problem is reliability, not the number of clicks.  The click that was eliminated was the first click, the “safety notch”, (which no one in their right mind thinks is “safe”).  The arrangement works by the trigger mechanically pushing a rod up the length of the hammer to push the firing pin out enough to engage the primer.  The trouble is that it takes more than usual trigger movement to do that, which in the guns I’ve seen is in trigger “overtravel”.  So if you squeeze (press) the trigger like a bullseye shooter would, the system doesn’t push the firing pin  out enough to fire the primer.

I’m sure that the trigger/hammer/safety arrangement can be hand fitted to work fine, but the guns I’ve seen required a firm pull, almost like a jerk, to fire reliably.

I’m talking about the new Ubertis with the retractable firing pin safety, not Rugers. Uberti eliminated the “safety notch” (first click) because in their opinion with the new mechanism it wasn’t needed.

21 minutes ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

I think the real problem is reliability, not the number of clicks.  The click that was eliminated was the first click, the “safety notch”, (which no one in their right mind thinks is “safe”).  The arrangement works by the trigger mechanically pushing a rod up the length of the hammer to push the firing pin out enough to engage the primer.  The trouble is that it takes more than usual trigger movement to do that, which in the guns I’ve seen is in trigger “overtravel”.  So if you squeeze (press) the trigger like a bullseye shooter would, the system doesn’t push the firing pin  out enough to fire the primer.

I’m sure that the trigger/hammer/safety arrangement can be hand fitted to work fine, but the guns I’ve seen required a firm pull, almost like a jerk, to fire reliably.

I have NOT experienced what you're saying either shooting fast or very slowly squeezing the trigger. The Cattleman I have has worked fine for about 400 rounds so far. That said, it's NOT my main match gun, it's a back up and I've come to trust it.;)

I have shot THOUSANDS of rounds of warthog loads of Holy black through my OM Ruger .45s with no problem. Quality and gun care will out!  :D I fire about 3,500 to 4,000 rounds per year not including big matches. That's not a lot when you consider two matches per month and a little practice.   :)

I imagine that most of us active shooters have similar numbers. NRA bullseye, BPCR, hunting, etc. expand those numbers.  :wub:

On 2/9/2020 at 12:24 AM, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

The 4th click costs you an extra $1,000.

Not if you get a 4-click Pietta. B)

2 hours ago, Dude Slade said:

Not if you get a 4-click Pietta. B)

This is true ^^^^^^^ Pietta has not gone to the hammer safety thingy!

There is nothing as soothing or great sounding as holding a second gen colt and going click, click, click, click, then repeat over and over.:)

I would bet that if I turned the clock back on the Wire by 20 years this thread could be found there...different players, but it would be there...It's Deja Vu all over again. ;)

15 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I would bet that if I turned the clock back on the Wire by 20 years this thread could be found there...different players, but it would be there...It's Deja Vu all over again. ;)

Not exactly, Uberti didn't have 3 clicks because of the NEW hammer safety 20 years ago.;)

Archived