SASS Wire Forum

Pretend for a moment that you are rich

Alpo

RICH. "Donald Trump rich".

RICH!

How much cash money would you keep in the house?

Spenser, a couple of books earlier, had helped out this rich guy, and the rich guy told him, "You ever need something, let me know".

So he shows up and he tells the rich guy he needs $10,000 in small bills. The rich guy calls the butler in, and he and Spenser sip brandy for a while. And the butler returns with a package about the size of a shoebox.

Obviously the rich guy had at least 10K squirreled away somewhere in his house.

It got me to thinking about how much I would have stashed. If I was rich. Which I ain't.

A hundred grand seems like a nice round number.

The real question is, “How many moon clips with .357 combat rounds would you keep with your heavy revolver?”

Cat Brules

If I was as rich as I wanted to be, $10k sounds like pocket change.  Back before LTC was passed in Texas, having $10k in cash on you was an exception to the prohibition against having a weapon on or about your person.  So ever since I was a kid, it's kind of been a goal of mine to be rich enough to carry around that much.  I was even planning to have a holster made with a pocket to hold the money and trying to find a $10k bill.  Not needed anymore, but, it's an old dream that's still kinda ingrained into me. 

One thing is for certain though, the butler would have been sipping brandy while I went to get the cash. 

24 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I AM rich...usually have around $20.00 cash on hand.

It's not 1870 anymore, Forty Rod. :P

As a young'n I always liked "sleeper" cars... basic sedans with strong V8 engines but no outward signs of hot-rodding like mag wheels or other go-fast features. It kept the car thieves away and lowered my insurance, but man was it fun to blow the doors off the occasional smart alec in his sports car. I know this sounds off-topic, but the thought of having lots of money but trying to make it look like you're not rich to ward off thieves reminded me of that.

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Not the kind of question I would answer online, maybe never.

I don't see why.

Unless you actually are extremely rich, it's just daydreaming. Like saying that if you had Donald Trump money you would buy Colt Single Action Army Serial Number 1

There was a car dealer in Florida who also adopted lots of special needs children .  He had a safe that sometimes had 100k in it.  A gang of 7 invaded him one night and killed him and his wife and took the safe .  He had cameras everywhere in the house because of the special needs kids so the cops had lots of video of the event.   They were caught fairly quickly as I recall. 

Another guy was playing a serial number game and had 100k in the house and soon lost his life and his money.   He didn't have cameras.  No one was caught. 

I believe that a fair number of folks who indulge in “preparation” to one degree or another keep a significant amount of cash, oftentimes a large percentage of their assets, on hand in anticipation of a SHTF situation.  

Seamus

Don't forget...

House burns down. Insurance generally does not cover lost cash in a claim.

Money just gone.

But, lots of folks who subscribe to the envelope system of budgeting (think Dave Ramsey or grandma) keep cash on hand to maintain a strict control over expenses. How much cash would certainly depend on the household income.

Some of the richest people I've met I had no idea that they were rich.  The ones I've met, at least, were down to earth, "regular" guys that weren't the flashy type.  I'd like to think if I was rich I'd be that type, keep just enough to get me through a weekend, I can always go to the bank on Monday.

I ain't rich but I did go to the bank the other day to withdraw about $100 bucks.

It took the Assistant Manager about 30 minutes to move TN Williams money out of the way

before they could get to mine.    Seems like the smallest accounts are kept at the back of the

vault in the corner, which is where mine was.

If I were rich like Trump, Bloomberg, etc.... I'd probably keep about 1/4 Mil.

If I were rich like some of these Computer co. founders, I have no idea how I would

handle such riches.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Tequila Chase said:

Some of the richest people I've met I had no idea that they were rich.  The ones I've met, at least, were down to earth, "regular" guys that weren't the flashy type.  I'd like to think if I was rich I'd be that type, keep just enough to get me through a weekend, I can always go to the bank on Monday.

I would like to think I'd be like that too, but the large garage full of 20+ classic muscle cars would probably give me away. :mellow:

If I were Donald Trump rich...honestly, I can’t fathom that. 

I would probably have a few grand at home but I can tell you this. There’s no way some scumbag would get into my house to find out what I have. I would have a very good security system. Peacocks, Donkeys and Dogs outside as well as electronics. Inside, more dogs and electronics. I would also have a security force. All well trained, well armed women. 

More importantly I would live way the hell out away from any large city. I would have a huge shooting range. I would host weekend CAS matches. 

5 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

As a young'n I always liked "sleeper" cars... basic sedans with strong V8 engines but no outward signs of hot-rodding like mag wheels or other go-fast features. It kept the car thieves away and lowered my insurance, but man was it fun to blow the doors off the occasional smart alec in his sports car. I know this sounds off-topic, but the thought of having lots of money but trying to make it look like you're not rich to ward off thieves reminded me of that.

Side note:

Back in the '70s, my best friend had a liking for the Ford Pinto. He had one that was set up like that. We would regularly do thing like you describe. The one I remember most was a guy in a '69 Chevelle, license plate "454 CID". Yes, he was very proud. We whooped his butt four traffic lights in a row. He finally turned off.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread. 

The most cash I ever had on my person was my last re-enlistment bonus: $5,000.00 and I cashed it just to see what in felt like.  Put it in the bank the next afternoon.

It may sound strange, but $5,000.00 in $100.00 bills sure felt heavy.

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I did keep a couple broken appliances in the front yard for camouflage.

Oh...so that's the deal with all those houses up in Coos and Grafton with old washing machines and couches on the front porches....millionaires with camoflage !!!  ;)

LL

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If I were Donald Trump rich...honestly, I can’t fathom that. 

I would have a very good security system. Peacocks, Donkeys and Dogs outside as well as electronics. Inside, more dogs and electronics.

I hope you got people to pick up all that poop ;) :lol:

19 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Probably not a good idea unless you like being robbed. <_<

What Sixgun a saying I'm agreeing with.

Rich folks don't need cash on hand.  Their hired people take care of the pocket change.

In today's world,rich folks don't carry cash. Everything is done with credit cards and wire transfers. I get a quarterly check if $1,000. I cash it and make it last till I get the next one. I keep it spread around so I don't carry more than $100 in any one place.

1 minute ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

:lol::lol:

Like this? I actually used them out there. I bought new appliances and they didn't arrive on the day promised (a Friday).

Ya know you're a redneck.JPG

Not like that. They must look discarded, on their sides or upside down.

23 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

:lol::lol:

Like this? I actually used them out there. I bought new appliances and they didn't arrive on the day promised (a Friday).

Ya know you're a redneck.JPG

You need a small block Chevy hanging on a chain from an old kid's swing set in the back ground to complete the look.;)

Life is good, healthy, happy  & madly in love, good friends  & own all we require ..so that's my rich !!

Yep the $$ help but we  just play our  cards day by day.

If we were 'mega well off then there's plenty that could do with a lift up .

Archived