SASS Wire Forum

Very, Very Frightening

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I have a Taurus Thunderbolt and a Colt Lightning ....

..... neither works 'cause, like the OP, the propellers won't work .... 

:(

Might be dependent upon whether you are in front of them flying allied colors or ahead of them with axis markings.  The first instance might just be very comforting.

5 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Do any of you know the raven's name?

In the poem, when asked its name, the raven responds "nevermore," however, it answers all of the questions with the same answer.

Sure. Just like Santa's 10 reindeer.

Dasher Dancer Prancer Vixen Comet Cupid Donder Blitzen

That's eight. Rudolph makes 9.

The tenth one?? Olive.  She was the one that made fun of Rudy.

"Olive, the other reindeer, used to laugh and call him names."

3 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

No, Pat!  Mama Mia was music from Abba, not Queen!  Jez! ;)

Dutch, meet lyrics...

7 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

Oh mama mia, mama mia, mama mia let me go

Lyrics, Dutch ^^^^^^

:P:D

2 hours ago, MizPete said:

Farouk would know.

If you mean Freddie (born Farrokh Bulsara), he was of Parsi ancestry, and his parents practiced Zoroastrianism.

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

"Olive, the other reindeer, used to laugh and call him names."

We named our Jack Russell 'Olive,' after the dog in the children's book, Olive, the Other Reindeer.

11 minutes ago, DocWard said:

If you mean Freddie (born Farrokh Bulsara), he was of Parsi ancestry, and his parents practiced Zoroastrianism.

Here's another fun fact about another member of the band, lead guitarist Brian May.  He has a PhD in Astrophysics and has been known to teach on occasion. 

1 hour ago, Calamity Kris said:

Here's another fun fact about another member of the band, lead guitarist Brian May.  He has a PhD in Astrophysics and has been known to teach on occasion. 

Yes, he performed his PhD thesis on radial velocities in zodiacal dust. Nope, I don't have a clue what it means. I do recall reading that at one point he thought his thesis might be a dead end, and concentrated on touring with Queen. Eventually the technology allowed him to complete his thesis! Je's also consulted with NASA.

Brian May, along with his father, built his guitar, "The Red Special," that he is so often seen with. He also composed my favorite Queen song, 'Who Wants to Live Forever." According to a fraternity brother of mine, who once shared a taxi with him in Ireland, if I recall, he is also a super nice guy. Don't you just hate people like him?

Music Appreciation in College. In addition to studying the classical masters we spent a little time discussing the music composed by Queen and other modern bands. Amazing that when you strip away the lyrics how the music of many rock bands has deep roots in classical music that their fans for the most part are oblivious to.

9 hours ago, DocWard said:

Yes, he performed his PhD thesis on radial velocities in zodiacal dust. Nope, I don't have a clue what it means. I do recall reading that at one point he thought his thesis might be a dead end, and concentrated on touring with Queen. Eventually the technology allowed him to complete his thesis! Je's also consulted with NASA.

Brian May, along with his father, built his guitar, "The Red Special," that he is so often seen with. He also composed my favorite Queen song, 'Who Wants to Live Forever." According to a fraternity brother of mine, who once shared a taxi with him in Ireland, if I recall, he is also a super nice guy. Don't you just hate people like him?

My favorite Queen song was also composed by Brian May.  It pays homage to his astrophysics background.  '39

No, I don't hate people like that.  In my life's journeys, I hope to meet more of them.

4 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

My favorite Queen song was also composed by Brian May.  It pays homage to his astrophysics background.  '39

No, I don't hate people like that.  In my life's journeys, I hope to meet more of them.

The "hate" comment is a bit of a joke. I suppose it might be considered tongue in cheek. It might also deserve a bit of a story as an explanation. When I took guitar lessons, I would often try a song by Rush, one of my favorite bands. At some point, I would invariably sit back in frustration and say "I hate Alex Lifeson (the guitarist for Rush)." It came to be a running joke between my guitar instructor, Rob Mowery, and myself. At one lesson, a few months before his untimely passing, Rob did something on his guitar that left me baffled, and I shook my head and said "Rob, I consider you one of my closest friends, but sometimes I hate you." He grinned and said something along the lines of "Wow! Hate me? I've made your list with Alex Lifeson? That's awesome!" I ended up getting him a t-shirt that said "Guitar Lessons with Rob Mowery" on the front, and on the back "I guarantee you'll hate me!" He asked where I got it made so he could get a couple of more.

I wish my friend Rob were still here for me to play guitar with, joke with, and occasionally "hate" his talent. I wish Rush were still making music, so I could listen in awe to their musicianship, and comment how I "hate" Alex Lifeson. I'd love to meet him, and Brian May, and a few others whom I "hate." For me, though, there is little in this world I "hate" in the true sense of the word.

3 hours ago, DocWard said:

The "hate" comment is a bit of a joke. I suppose it might be considered tongue in cheek. It might also deserve a bit of a story as an explanation. When I took guitar lessons, I would often try a song by Rush, one of my favorite bands. At some point, I would invariably sit back in frustration and say "I hate Alex Lifeson (the guitarist for Rush)." It came to be a running joke between my guitar instructor, Rob Mowery, and myself. At one lesson, a few months before his untimely passing, Rob did something on his guitar that left me baffled, and I shook my head and said "Rob, I consider you one of my closest friends, but sometimes I hate you." He grinned and said something along the lines of "Wow! Hate me? I've made your list with Alex Lifeson? That's awesome!" I ended up getting him a t-shirt that said "Guitar Lessons with Rob Mowery" on the front, and on the back "I guarantee you'll hate me!" He asked where I got it made so he could get a couple of more.

I wish my friend Rob were still here for me to play guitar with, joke with, and occasionally "hate" his talent. I wish Rush were still making music, so I could listen in awe to their musicianship, and comment how I "hate" Alex Lifeson. I'd love to meet him, and Brian May, and a few others whom I "hate." For me, though, there is little in this world I "hate" in the true sense of the word.

As opposed to hate, I would look at that as jealousy borne out of admiration.  Just my perspective.  YMMV.

1 hour ago, Calamity Kris said:

As opposed to hate, I would look at that as jealousy borne out of admiration.  Just my perspective.  YMMV.

It isn't even jealousy, or envy, really. There is no truly negative emotion attached. Admiration, most definitely, adding a touch of irony to the usage. The inability to play a specific piece was met with some frustration, but even then, it was a focus on my lack of ability and a desire to improve.

Besides, neither "I'm jealous of him" or "'I'm envious of him" rolls off the tongue so easily, nor convey the depth of my supposed angst!

Golly all you cowboys and cowgirls, I saw the picture by Lawman Mark and immediately new what he was conveying! 

On 2/7/2020 at 1:22 PM, DocWard said:

In the poem, when asked its name, the raven responds "nevermore," however, it answers all of the questions with the same answer.

That's his: Nevermore Quoth, the raven.  MISTER Qouth to most folks, but his friends call him Nevermore.

1 minute ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

My dad fought in the So. Pacific in WWII. According to him the Japanese were very very frightened of the Lightening. Watched a few airshows.

JHC

If I remember right, they called it the fork tailed devil.

35 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I think that's what the Germans called it, but I'm not a learned historian.

JHC

Maybe it was the Germans but if they hadn't attacked Pearl Harbor, they wouldn't have had to worry about it.

Archived